Megadeth is a succesful American Thrash-Metal band which have had their best times in the 80's and 90's. Megadeth counts to the most influencial bands in heavy metal music and is one of the four inventors of Thrash Metal, along with Slayer, Metallica and Anthrax . The only original bandmember left is bandleader and founder Dave Mustaine.
In summer 1983, right before the recording of Metallicas first album Kill 'Em All , Dave Mustaine was replaced by Kirk Hammett due to his alcohol and drug problems. To get his revenge on his former band members he founded his own band Megadeth in order to become more famous than Metallica, which never happened until today. Remarkable for the history of Megadeth is that the lineup changed with almost every album which is possibly due to Mustaines' unstable character combined with drug abuse. After the first three(already very good) albums and several lineup changes Marty Friedman (former Cacophony) joined the band as lead guitarist. This lineup lasted form 1990 til 1998 and is the most succesfull time of Megadeth. The classical records Rust in Peace , Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia were recorded with this lineup. After more lineup-changes Mustaine dissolved Megadeth because the doctors said that after a severe injury in his left arm he would never be able to play guitar again. In 2004 Megadeth reunited and released two more albums and are acive until today.
Already in 1985 the band gave itslef a mascot called Vic Rattlehead which is mostly the center of Megadeth Cover artworks. There are also merchandise articles about Vic , very similiar to Eddie, mascot of the british heavy metal band Iron Maiden. Vic is a creature looking like a human skelleton, but partially covered with metal parts. He symbolizes a Japanese saying (don't hear, don't speak, don't see) because his eyes,ears and mouth are covered with metal.
Megadeth plays Thrash Metal and they are known to be the first Speed Metal band. They are famous for progressive riffs and (especially in the Friedman era) incredible solos. Megadeth has no real lead guitarist because both guitarists play solos.
- vocals, guitar Dave Mustaine
- guitar Chris Broderick (since 2008)
- bass David Ellefson (1983-2002, 2010-)
- drums Shawn Drover (since 2004)
- bass James MacDonough (2004–2006)
- bass James LoMenzo (1983-2002)
- guitar Chris Poland (1984–1986;2004)
- guitar Jeff Young (1987–1988)
- guitar Marty Friedman (1990–2000)
- guitar Al Pitrelli (2000–2002)
- drums Gar Samuelson (1984–1986)
- drums Chuck Behler (1987–1988)
- drums Nick Menza (1989–1998, 2004)
- drums Jimmy de Grasso (1998–2002)
- drums Vinnie Colaiuta (2004)
- guitar Glen Drover (2004)
- 1985 Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
- 1986 Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
- 1988 So Far, So Good... So What!
- 1990 Rust In Peace
- 1992 Countdown to Extinction
- 1994 Youthanasia
- 1997 Cryptic Writings
- 1999 Risk
- 2001 The World Needs a Hero
- 2004 The System Has Failed
- 2007 United Abominations
- 2009 Endgame
- 2011 TH1R3EN
--ZakkWylde 00:59, 10 January 2008 (UTC)by ZakkWylde