> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Vince09's Music Workouts, for Gab's Army
Vince09
Oct 9 2014, 10:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Gab!Unfortunetly finding the tone that i like is really hard for me cause I am a total beginner when it comes to settings,even with much better pickups i still ain't got enough sustain...I am using guitar rig presets wich I modify them a bit but they are kind of limited. sad.gif Any suggestions of how can I get a decent tone with something different then guitar rig?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 10 2014, 12:17 AM) *
Hi mate, thanks for the update. I can see that you are doing a good job with this lesson that seems to be very effective for your Alternate Picking technique. The first thing that I would improve on this one is your tone, I don't know if it's the camera video or what, but it's a bit weak and is lacking sustain, I also think that the EQ could be warmer (less treble, more bass & mids).

About your playing, it's ok to use palm muting in the lower strings, but for any reason the notes played on the higher strings are also cut too early and sound like with a staccato effect. Try to make those notes longer to let your playing sound smoother.

This lesson is very demanding at first but it's very useful so please keep on practicing it. The next thing to have in mind is how you manage dynamics, and off course the tone that you get, not only because of the settings used, also from your fingers and pick.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vince09: Oct 9 2014, 10:48 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2014, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Well, my trick to have enough sustain both with emulators and real amps is using some kind of tube screamer before the amp. I do this with guitar rig, with Poulin and also with my Mesa Boogie amp. I recommend you to create tones from nothing. This is th ebest way to keep it simple and be able to understand what each module is doing.

For example, start the chain with a tube screamer emulated (it's usually called Screamer, Overdrive or something like that), then choose an amp that you like, this election can be based on what you saw in your favorite guitarists. Let's say that you love Jimmy Page, ok so you should try going for a vintage sounding sound, something like Plexi, or maybe an Organge could do the job. Then, choose a cabinet, the election depends again on the type of sound that you want. IF you want something more vintage, go for a small cabinet, if you want to blow an stadium, use a 4x12 cabinet with V30 or something similar.

Once you have this chain designed, turn on everything and start with the amp with all the parameters in 5, and try to get a balanced EQ. Experiment with treble, mids, bass, presence and once you find an EQ that you like, work on drive. Set a good balance between the amp's drive and the overdrive gain. Try to find a combination that give enough sustain but keeps the signal clean and clear.

Once you find a sound that you like save it, record something and check it later of the following day. Let your ears to rest because we tend to get used to a sound even when it's not as cool as we want. We need to refresh our mind and ears and get back to it later.

You can also experiment with other effects like Delay, Reverb and chorus, just as another variation to the tone for solos or special parts.

You can use Guitar Rig, or you can also try Lepou which are free vst. Check out this thread where you will find all the info: HERE

Feel free to share the results here.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 18 2014, 08:04 PM
Hi Gab!I followed your advices and eperimented with the components in Guitar Rig but I am still a little far from what I really want it to be.So here it is...Experiment #1
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 10 2014, 04:44 PM) *
Well, my trick to have enough sustain both with emulators and real amps is using some kind of tube screamer before the amp. I do this with guitar rig, with Poulin and also with my Mesa Boogie amp. I recommend you to create tones from nothing. This is th ebest way to keep it simple and be able to understand what each module is doing.

For example, start the chain with a tube screamer emulated (it's usually called Screamer, Overdrive or something like that), then choose an amp that you like, this election can be based on what you saw in your favorite guitarists. Let's say that you love Jimmy Page, ok so you should try going for a vintage sounding sound, something like Plexi, or maybe an Organge could do the job. Then, choose a cabinet, the election depends again on the type of sound that you want. IF you want something more vintage, go for a small cabinet, if you want to blow an stadium, use a 4x12 cabinet with V30 or something similar.

Once you have this chain designed, turn on everything and start with the amp with all the parameters in 5, and try to get a balanced EQ. Experiment with treble, mids, bass, presence and once you find an EQ that you like, work on drive. Set a good balance between the amp's drive and the overdrive gain. Try to find a combination that give enough sustain but keeps the signal clean and clear.

Once you find a sound that you like save it, record something and check it later of the following day. Let your ears to rest because we tend to get used to a sound even when it's not as cool as we want. We need to refresh our mind and ears and get back to it later.

You can also experiment with other effects like Delay, Reverb and chorus, just as another variation to the tone for solos or special parts.

You can use Guitar Rig, or you can also try Lepou which are free vst. Check out this thread where you will find all the info: HERE

Feel free to share the results here.

This post has been edited by Vince09: Oct 18 2014, 08:05 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2014, 06:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince! This is a very good first experiment! Your guitar tone is much better now, it sounds clearer and more defined compared to your previous video. I think that the EQ balance is better now and the only thing that I would try to improve is adding more drive to have more sustain. Have you tried the overdrive before the amp? If you did it, I would just add some drive to that pedal.

Your playing is tight one this one but it's still not enough smooth. Try to make the notes longer to avoid silences between notes. It will make your take sound more fluently and with less staccato effect. In the palm muting section, the secret is to put the palm of your right hand on a different position, closer to the bridge, with less pressure, to also make the notes longer. Experiment with it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 20 2014, 06:37 PM
Hey Gab!The drive is at a higher level...I hope you can see it in the picture that I sent you via pm.
I am trying to make the notes longer but you know...I learned the lesson in a bad way from the start and it's all my fault cause I didn't post any recordings of each part of the lesson.Also I am having problems in hearing and tabing the intro of The Ramones-Pet Semetary...I hear 3 chords Dm-?-F5...even if I can sing the intro with my voice I still can't find the notes for the second chord mad.gif
Soon I will post a recording for the blues dynamics lesson cause I am sure I have tone problems theere also...

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Hi Vince! This is a very good first experiment! Your guitar tone is much better now, it sounds clearer and more defined compared to your previous video. I think that the EQ balance is better now and the only thing that I would try to improve is adding more drive to have more sustain. Have you tried the overdrive before the amp? If you did it, I would just add some drive to that pedal.

Your playing is tight one this one but it's still not enough smooth. Try to make the notes longer to avoid silences between notes. It will make your take sound more fluently and with less staccato effect. In the palm muting section, the secret is to put the palm of your right hand on a different position, closer to the bridge, with less pressure, to also make the notes longer. Experiment with it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2014, 02:06 AM
Instructor
Hi Vince! I've checked the setting pic and I can say that it looks good., but I wonder if the noise reduction is a bit high and that's the reason why you are not having enough sustain. Have you tried bypassing it? Please try it and let me know what happens....

About the Ramones song, I hear something like this... what do you think?

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 26 2014, 08:57 AM
Hey Gab!I've set the the noise reduction as low as I can...without the noise reduction I hear the process of making popcorn on the background smile.gif but the sustain is still missing mad.gif
Here is the intro I hear for The Ramones-Pet cemetary
Attached File  Ramones_introX.gpx ( 17.46K ) Number of downloads: 90

The sog is made in E dorian and the pre chorus is C5-D5-C5-D5-C5,chorus D5-E5-G5-A5 and D5-E5-C5 and there is a part wich I think that is the bridge where he uses the natural minor Bb-D5-Bb-C5
Here is a sample of the blues dynamics lesson .I would like your opinion about the tone(and the playing) cause I can't even get near the tone from the lesson.
Blues Dynamics part 1

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 21 2014, 04:06 AM) *
Hi Vince! I've checked the setting pic and I can say that it looks good., but I wonder if the noise reduction is a bit high and that's the reason why you are not having enough sustain. Have you tried bypassing it? Please try it and let me know what happens....

About the Ramones song, I hear something like this... what do you think?

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Vince09: Oct 26 2014, 08:59 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2014, 03:13 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, how are you? I cannot open the GP file, the extension is GPX and Guitar pro is not opening it in my computer, Could you please save it for Guitar pro 5? The song is in D minor key, and there are many differences with the chords that you suggested, please check it out again considering that Dm is the root chord. wink.gif

About the tone used for the blues dynamics lesson, I think that it sounds really good! It's not the same than the original but it works. It only lacks some sustain that will really help the longer notes and the vibrato. Compared with the original lesson, your tone sounds with more treble and presence, so if you want to go for a closer sound, you should adjust a bit EQ (increase bass or decrease treble). About your playing, I only note that the bends at 00:07 are not perfectly on pitch so be careful with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 28 2014, 02:58 PM
Hey Gab!I am not doing so good as you can see sad.gif I use Guitar pro 6 and it saves all the projects as gpx files.I think it would be better to show you a image for now.Only thing I can think is that in the Pet Cemetary song they use triads instead of power chords.I will adjust the EQ for the blues lesson and post again the first part with the bends being perfect.
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ramones_intro.gpx ( 17.49K ) Number of downloads: 65

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2014, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yes, that image is perfect. They are using triads and those are the chords for the introduction and also for the verse. This type of songs are trickier because we are not just using power chords. Don't worry about not being able to learn it fast. This is part of the process of learning and training your ear. It's good to try to learn a song, write it down, then check the correct chords and try to find out the differences and why we get confused. That's how it worked for me in the past.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 28 2014, 10:19 PM
Hellow Gab!Nice to know that I got the intro right smile.gif I will have another shot with thins song and hopefuly I will get it right.I am so cuorious why I was so confused with hearing the chords cause everytime I was so sure that I got the right chords.
In the meantime here is another attempt on the alternate picking lesson.
Alternate Picking

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 28 2014, 05:27 PM) *
Hi mate, yes, that image is perfect. They are using triads and those are the chords for the introduction and also for the verse. This type of songs are trickier because we are not just using power chords. Don't worry about not being able to learn it fast. This is part of the process of learning and training your ear. It's good to try to learn a song, write it down, then check the correct chords and try to find out the differences and why we get confused. That's how it worked for me in the past.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2014, 06:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince!

Good job with the Alternate Picking lesson. It's evolving really good! Your timing is getting tighter and your overall technique more consistent. There is off course still room to make everything sound smoother and tighter but this will come with more practice. In order to make the notes sound smoother, try to make them longer, I feel that the notes disappear too soon and it makes most of the licks sound like with staccato, and this makes it sound less smooth.

And about the Ramones song, don't worry, this is part of the process, and I can notice that your ear is being trained. Just let the things happen naturally. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Nov 7 2014, 09:37 PM
Hi Gab! I am having a hard time in discovering the chords of The Ramones song...After hearing the chords I know that in the pre chorus the chord progression is C-D, C-D-Bb and in the chorus we have D-E-G-A,D-C-Bb. Only thing I can think is that they use power chords blink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2014, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, you are getting VERY close. I will just write here the parts that you have right to give a new chance to recheck the wrong chords:

Pre chorus: C - D - C - D - Bb

Chorus: D - ? - ? - ? - D - C -Bb

Check it out and let me know if any of the lacking chords become clearer.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Nov 9 2014, 08:33 PM
So after squeezing my brain out and annoyng the neighbours the chorus is : D -F- C-Bb - D - C -Bb

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 8 2014, 09:33 PM) *
Hi Vince, you are getting VERY close. I will just write here the parts that you have right to give a new chance to recheck the wrong chords:

Pre chorus: C - D - C - D - Bb

Chorus: D - ? - ? - ? - D - C -Bb

Check it out and let me know if any of the lacking chords become clearer.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2014, 02:45 PM
Instructor
hehehe that's perfect mate! Well done!

This means that your ear is slowly being trained. Once again, don't worry about how much it takes. I still remember those days when I used to play songs bad until I found a transcription book and discover the real way to play a song. It was frustrating at first but it was also very interesting to discover which where the things that I wasn't able to learn by ear yet, and try to found out why this happened.

So well, as the Ramones have given you some problems, let's go with another great hit by them:

What do you think?

I was also wondering about your diary practice. How is it going? Do you think that you already need a refresh of the lessons that you are working? What's the progress with blues dynamics, and the alternate picking one? What about the improvisation course?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Nov 10 2014, 05:02 PM
Hi Gab! Finally I got it right...I think the problem was all from bad singing ...what do you think?
I've listened the new Ramones song and already I can say it will be hard but now I have a little bit of experience with this type of songs and I know what to expect.
About my practice routine...the alternate picking is giving me headaches cause I don't know how to put my hand in order to make the notes longer but also to use palm muting .I discovered that if I keep my hand really close to the bridge my palm muting still leaves some sounds to be heard and it isn't nice sad.gif and I tried every position of the hand that I had in mind.
The blues dynamics lesson is much harder cause I can't play it right everytime ...I am not consistent in my bends but also in my phrasing..I think it will need much more time.
I really really need a refresh of the lessons....Something new to draw my attention and keep me focus...
The first week of the improvisation course I think I learned it for some time but I each time I practice it i's much better cause I know all the time were I am on the fretboard without looking at it...the connection between mind and fretboard is growing each time smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 10 2014, 03:45 PM) *
hehehe that's perfect mate! Well done!

This means that your ear is slowly being trained. Once again, don't worry about how much it takes. I still remember those days when I used to play songs bad until I found a transcription book and discover the real way to play a song. It was frustrating at first but it was also very interesting to discover which where the things that I wasn't able to learn by ear yet, and try to found out why this happened.

So well, as the Ramones have given you some problems, let's go with another great hit by them:

What do you think?

I was also wondering about your diary practice. How is it going? Do you think that you already need a refresh of the lessons that you are working? What's the progress with blues dynamics, and the alternate picking one? What about the improvisation course?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 11 2014, 04:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Vince, thanks for this fantastic update.

You have said something very wise:

I have a little bit of experience with this type of songs and I know what to expect.

That's exactly the experience that makes things easier and smoother. The sum of a well trained ear and some patterns and combinations that get familiar makes the process of learning songs by ear much easier and faster. And that's what we are training here! smile.gif

So you mean that you want to get palm muted notes with more sustain? This can be achieved by doing less pressure with your palm, and position it closer to the bridge. It is a bit different on each guitar, depending on the bridge that it has. Please experiment with it and if it's possible record a video of you just trying different positions.

I think that it's time for some musical lessons that makes you enjoy playing guitar more than being worried about technique. What do you think? Do you have some favorite lessons in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Nov 11 2014, 07:52 PM
Hey Gab!I think the ear training is paying off and now I can tell much faster what chords they use ...Regarding the alternate picking lesson,I will indeed take a video using different position of the hand...I am sure I am doing something wrong.
I got some lessons that I want to learn in the future but for the moment I think this one In-The-Spirit-Of-70s will cheer me up smile.gif What do you say ?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 11 2014, 05:51 AM) *
Hi Vince, thanks for this fantastic update.

You have said something very wise:

I have a little bit of experience with this type of songs and I know what to expect.

That's exactly the experience that makes things easier and smoother. The sum of a well trained ear and some patterns and combinations that get familiar makes the process of learning songs by ear much easier and faster. And that's what we are training here! smile.gif

So you mean that you want to get palm muted notes with more sustain? This can be achieved by doing less pressure with your palm, and position it closer to the bridge. It is a bit different on each guitar, depending on the bridge that it has. Please experiment with it and if it's possible record a video of you just trying different positions.

I think that it's time for some musical lessons that makes you enjoy playing guitar more than being worried about technique. What do you think? Do you have some favorite lessons in mind?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2014, 02:21 AM
Instructor
hehehe why not man! That's a beautiful lesson by the great guitarist Sinisa. It has some problematic licks in the second half but if you have enough motivation to learn each of the licks, let's go for it! The first goal is to learn each lick and play it at your tempo over the backing tracks. You can use slower backings for playing it exactly as it is, but I also recommend you to use the normal tempo backing to create variations of the licks that you already can play. So this should have a double goal: technique and creative.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:04 AM