> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Vince09's Music Workouts, for Gab's Army
Vince09
Sep 14 2014, 05:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Gab!After listening so many times this song I can say that it is in E Major Key.I am pretty sure that the chord progression involves a modulation...and the chords are D5-A5-F#5-E5.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 7 2014, 06:51 PM) *
Ok! So this is the new song to analyze:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 04:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Vince! This is so awesome!! smile.gif The chords are perfect!! Some of them are major or minor but by now identifying power chord is enough and a good step forward. smile.gif

Talking about the tonality, you are close, it's E major, but not the most known or commonly used major mode. It's a different mode. Let's analyse it a bit:

These are the notes that form E major scale:

E F# G# A B C# D#

The chords that you've heard are: D5 - A5 - F#5 - E5

Everything is ok, except that D5 because we don't have D root on E major scale. E major scale is also known as Ionian mode and it's one of the 3 major modes that derive from a major scale. The other two ones are Lydian and Mixolydian.

Check out E mixolydian;

E F# G# A B C# D

As you can see, D appears there as well as the other notes from the progression so I believe that the progression is in E mixolydian tonality.

If this stuff is completely new for you or if you have some unclear knowledge about modes, please check the following thread and let me know if you have some questions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48825

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 15 2014, 04:46 PM
Hi Gab!I am so happy that I got the right chords biggrin.gif and thank you for explaining the theory behind this chord progression smile.gif Now I have a new perspective about the tonality of a song.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 15 2014, 06:51 AM) *
Hi Vince! This is so awesome!! smile.gif The chords are perfect!! Some of them are major or minor but by now identifying power chord is enough and a good step forward. smile.gif

Talking about the tonality, you are close, it's E major, but not the most known or commonly used major mode. It's a different mode. Let's analyse it a bit:

These are the notes that form E major scale:

E F# G# A B C# D#

The chords that you've heard are: D5 - A5 - F#5 - E5

Everything is ok, except that D5 because we don't have D root on E major scale. E major scale is also known as Ionian mode and it's one of the 3 major modes that derive from a major scale. The other two ones are Lydian and Mixolydian.

Check out E mixolydian;

E F# G# A B C# D

As you can see, D appears there as well as the other notes from the progression so I believe that the progression is in E mixolydian tonality.

If this stuff is completely new for you or if you have some unclear knowledge about modes, please check the following thread and let me know if you have some questions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48825

This post has been edited by Vince09: Sep 15 2014, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 11:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vince09 @ Sep 15 2014, 12:46 PM) *
Hi Gab!I am so happy that I got the right chords biggrin.gif and thank you for explaining the theory behind this chord progression smile.gif Now I have a new perspective about the tonality of a song.

Excellent! smile.gif

Dave likes to use modal progressions, mostly Lydian but in this case appears one of the most used in rock Mixolydian. Bands and musicians that have USA folk influences uses this mode a lot, for ex: Slash / GN'R, Zakk Wylde, Rolling Stones, etc...

Next song:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 21 2014, 03:23 PM
Hi Gab!Please help me with this one cause my ears won't cooperate when they hear something they don't like blink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 16 2014, 01:31 AM) *
Excellent! smile.gif

Dave likes to use modal progressions, mostly Lydian but in this case appears one of the most used in rock Mixolydian. Bands and musicians that have USA folk influences uses this mode a lot, for ex: Slash / GN'R, Zakk Wylde, Rolling Stones, etc...

Next song:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 22 2014, 05:07 AM
Instructor
Ok, let's go for this one that has similar chords that clearer because guitar is more present:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 24 2014, 06:35 PM
Hi Gab!The song is in D major and the main chords are D-A-G-D and also in the chorus we have A-D,G-D wich leads us back to the main chords.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 22 2014, 07:07 AM) *
Ok, let's go for this one that has similar chords that clearer because guitar is more present:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2014, 07:32 PM
Instructor
hehehe that's perfect man! I think that your ear is getting tight! Well done. smile.gif

how are the other things going? improvisation stuff? technique?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 24 2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks Gab!Unfortunetly in the past 2 weeks I didn't had much time to practice and I can't keep up the rythm with your impromovisation course sad.gif THe alternate picking lesson is almost done,I am working on final details and the blues dynamics lesson I can't play it at tempo so it will take me more time to make it perfect.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 24 2014, 09:32 PM) *
hehehe that's perfect man! I think that your ear is getting tight! Well done. smile.gif

how are the other things going? improvisation stuff? technique?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2014, 01:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vince09 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Thanks Gab!Unfortunetly in the past 2 weeks I didn't had much time to practice and I can't keep up the rythm with your impromovisation course sad.gif THe alternate picking lesson is almost done,I am working on final details and the blues dynamics lesson I can't play it at tempo so it will take me more time to make it perfect.

Hi Vince, don't worry about the improvisation course schedule. The idea is that you take your time to master each of the topics, and that's why I created a thread for your, where there are no news... sad.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52915

You can start again with module 1 and post some recording there. What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 26 2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Gab!You are right again smile.gif I will take my time on week number 1 of the course and post a recording to let you see if I am on the right way biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 08:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vince09 @ Sep 26 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Hey Gab!You are right again smile.gif I will take my time on week number 1 of the course and post a recording to let you see if I am on the right way biggrin.gif

Hi mate, this sounds great! Please post there recording of your random practice just to check how the things are evolving. Dedicate some time every day, if it's possible at least 30 minutes of improvisation practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Sep 28 2014, 09:20 PM
Well...I learned everything that you thaught us at the improvisation course but when I try to improvise nothing smart comes out of my hands and everytime I am on the wrong note when the chords change...It's so frustrating mad.gif
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 28 2014, 10:39 PM) *
Hi mate, this sounds great! Please post there recording of your random practice just to check how the things are evolving. Dedicate some time every day, if it's possible at least 30 minutes of improvisation practice.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vince09 @ Sep 28 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Well...I learned everything that you thaught us at the improvisation course but when I try to improvise nothing smart comes out of my hands and everytime I am on the wrong note when the chords change...It's so frustrating mad.gif

Start slowly. Don't try to make amazing melodies at first. Practice using random notes, playing the sequences or arpeggios up and down. Very slow melodies. You fingers can go faster than your mind so now your fingers need to be patient and wait to your mind to get use to this techniques. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 3 2014, 02:59 PM
OK Gab smile.gif I will start slow and make sure i know everything before I post the recording .Please let's move forward with the ear training cause my main focus is to play and compose for my future band.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 29 2014, 12:09 AM) *
Start slowly. Don't try to make amazing melodies at first. Practice using random notes, playing the sequences or arpeggios up and down. Very slow melodies. You fingers can go faster than your mind so now your fingers need to be patient and wait to your mind to get use to this techniques. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 3 2014, 05:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vince09 @ Oct 3 2014, 10:59 AM) *
OK Gab smile.gif I will start slow and make sure i know everything before I post the recording .Please let's move forward with the ear training cause my main focus is to play and compose for my future band.

Ok! Let's continue with some new songs to learn by year to then move to learn melodies. Today: Ramones:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 7 2014, 04:46 PM
Hi Gab!As my ears hear this song is in G major with the main chords G5-A5-D5, pre chorus G5-A5 ,G5-A5-C5 and the chorus G5-A5-C5-D5 followed by G5-A5-C5...back to the main chords.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 3 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Ok! Let's continue with some new songs to learn by year to then move to learn melodies. Today: Ramones:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince. You are not on the right track from the beginning. The tune is in D minor, and D minor is the first chord. Please try to learn the intro arpeggios, no matter if you are not sure about the name of the chords, but try to learn each note played and tab it with guitar pro, is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Oct 9 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Gab!I am so sorry that i got it wrong sad.gif I will try the way you recommended even though I have no experience with guitar pro.
Here is a quick recording of the alternate picking lesson.
Alternate Picking Workout #2

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 7 2014, 08:02 PM) *
Hi Vince. You are not on the right track from the beginning. The tune is in D minor, and D minor is the first chord. Please try to learn the intro arpeggios, no matter if you are not sure about the name of the chords, but try to learn each note played and tab it with guitar pro, is it possible?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 9 2014, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. I can see that you are doing a good job with this lesson that seems to be very effective for your Alternate Picking technique. The first thing that I would improve on this one is your tone, I don't know if it's the camera video or what, but it's a bit weak and is lacking sustain, I also think that the EQ could be warmer (less treble, more bass & mids).

About your playing, it's ok to use palm muting in the lower strings, but for any reason the notes played on the higher strings are also cut too early and sound like with a staccato effect. Try to make those notes longer to let your playing sound smoother.

This lesson is very demanding at first but it's very useful so please keep on practicing it. The next thing to have in mind is how you manage dynamics, and off course the tone that you get, not only because of the settings used, also from your fingers and pick.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:48 AM