> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 109 110 111 112 113 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Nov 8 2019, 05:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ahhh, that's kinda what I meant but I have been mis-educated by someone in the past.

I was told that the words "Oh when the" were grace notes in the song "Oh when the saints go marching in" where "saints" is on beat one of bar one "

So is it correct to think that the highlighted bars are the true bars 1-12 and bar 1 is actually a count in like when playing live (1, 2, 3,4)? Sorry to ask this question but it want to know as I will be experimenting with some 12 bars of my own one day. Or should I just ignore it for this lesson?

Here is two minutes of me trying the SRV section. It's a real struggle, I'm like a complete novice laugh.gif Anyway, I wanted it logged on here for when I can play it just to prove that persistence pays off wink.gif

https://youtu.be/26R5cziUILI

Here is this week's entry for the timing exercise. I tried to add a few more notes in the second half. Do you think I should slow it down a few BPM to make it harder now?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-backing-a-minor-bass-09112019

Tonight (November 9th) I was just playing the bass line from the SRV section. I did practise the bars before it too and they are coming along nicely. I think that if I can get nice and relaxed playing the bass line I should then be able to add in the open strings strumming slowly too. What do you think? Any advice?

https://youtu.be/fAVunQoZQLM

By the way, I'm really enjoying this lesson. It's a real but doable challenge wink.gif

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 9 2019, 10:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2019, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great stuff here.

That SRV rhythm is getting better as well as the bass note practice which is a lot tighter than the previous take. Feel free to practice at different tempos, going faster and slower can help to get used to the rhythm.

Regarding your question about anacrusis, yes, that first bar is usually used as the count in when playing live.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 10 2019, 09:51 PM
Thanks for clarifying the anacrusis question Gab,

My head has really switched on to this current batch of things to learn. I think it's just too much for my head to totally concentrate on improv at the moment and it was starting, as I can see now, to get a little bit stale with me. I feel like I've been injected with a shot of guitar energy. Loving learning the blues and we can cover blues based rock too which covers 90% of the kind of rock I listen to smile.gif

This will be the last bass line timing file I post until next weekend, you must get bored listening to them wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-a-minor-bass-90bpm-10112019

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 11 2019, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Nice mate! That's sounding very good!! smile.gif

Keep going my friend!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 11 2019, 10:06 PM
Thanks Gab,
I did the bass line practise at 40 BPM tonight, very very difficult but gotta earn it wink.gif

Here is my progress on the SRV section, I can see improvements and it is encouraging to see them, still messy but better than the last take.

https://youtu.be/tZIAKckI_hQ

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2019, 01:53 PM
Instructor
I can see the improvements too! Congrats mate! Keep going. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 13 2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll post another video at the weekend, it's getting better all the time but is very tricky. Watching SRV, I think he did it differently, it looks like he uses his thumb to mute the bass strings that he wasn't playing and basically strummed a down whereas I'm picking the individual note. Obviously I have to do it like the lesson but it makes it more fiddly in one way but the way Stevie did it needed a lot of thumb discipline which I guess we will get to one day.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2019, 08:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Yeah both SRV and Hendrix used a lot their thumb to mute or play bass notes. That's a great trick but it takes some work to do it, and the difficulty depends on how long your fingers are.

I'll wait for your vid!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 17 2019, 09:43 PM
Hello Gab,

Sorry I didn't get the video in, I was going to do it on Friday night but the new collab appeared and I did something for that. I'll get one in in the next couple of days, I'm running the 30 riffs at 50% speed at the moment but only the first 21 bars. My video will be at that speed then I have a practise question to ask.

For now, here is the very difficult 40bpm practise. I can see from the sound tracks in my DAW that I am ahead of the beat a LOT, I can also hear it a lot of the time now. I notice that when I try to add something, like a longer note on the 4th beat of the E section, I get even more ahead of the beat. I really do think it is good to do this though, it must help with this discipline.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-a-minor-bass-40bpm-17112019

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 19 2019, 01:22 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Thanks for your collab take!! This weekend has been a bit crazy for me, that's why I couldn't reply properly there in time. I'm now jamming with your take to find the right response. cool.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 19 2019, 10:01 PM
Thanks Gab,

I enjoyed this collab, I may have another go but need to get on with the 30 riffs, life's been hectic this week.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 20 2019, 10:13 PM
Sorry it's not a video, didn't have time to set it up sad.gif. Here is the first 21 bars at approximately half speed (50bpm)

I know there are mistakes, it's the first recording and the first time with the backing. I know the SRV section still isn't very good, I've tried that before many times and basically convinced myself I will never be able to do it so I'm trying to break that thought process.

Should I now polish AND speed up these bars while learning the next few OR, stay slow and add some more bars and once I have it all down slow, try to speed the whole thing up?

Please critique.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/30-riffs-21-bars-50-bpm-with-backing

Isolated guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/30-riffs-21-bars-50-bpm-guitar-only

Cheers buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 20 2019, 10:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 21 2019, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Good job here!!

I notice that you can play the riffs clean and clear, and that you only have some timing issues here and there. This issues can be related to the slow tempo which sometimes makes rhythm more difficult. That SRV section seems to be the one that needs more work but it's on the right track.

I would increase tempo gradually while slowly learning new riffs from the lesson. It will keep you moving forward.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 21 2019, 01:49 PM
Thanks Gab,

I slowed the whole thing down to a speed where I could play an approximation of the SRV thing. I do think the SRV thing has come on quite well really, as I said, in the past I'd practically convinced myself of never be able to do it so I'm having to force that one out of my head. If you look back at my first video take of the SRV thing, it was like I'd picked the guitar up for the first time.

I'll be working very hard on it, I think if the SRV part wasn't in there is have gotten much further in the same time but I needed, and still need to focus on it.

Videos coming soon wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 21 2019, 10:04 PM
Further to above post, here is a recording at 80bpm.

The problem with the SRV section is that I'm just not relaxed when I do it, it's very stiff. Video tomorrow hopefully wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/30-riffs-21-bars-80-bpm-with-backing-21112019

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 22 2019, 11:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! It's a bit hurried but it's getting better! It's very important to try to relax when playing the part. Work on it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 22 2019, 11:23 PM
I will buddy, do you have any advice? Or just carry on doing what I'm doing?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 23 2019, 09:41 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2019, 10:04 PM
This weekend's bass timing practise recording. I have been doing various tempos but this 40bpm is insane though i do think it is good discipline to do it every day at least once at this tempo.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-a-minor-bass-40bpm-24112019

Regarding the 30 Blues Riffs I'm working very hard on it, there is a lot of stuff I've never done before or, as is the case with the SRV section, I've told myself for years "I'll never be able to do that" so it going to take some time but it's going to be worth earning it for sure.

You said it was rushed, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's just because I'm not familiar with it enough yet, as I get more familiar and better I will relax more and things will mentally slow down.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2019, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Thanks for the update!!

That 40bpm exercise is getting better mate! I can hear a big difference. Keep working on it!

Regarding that SRV, yes, I think that you are right. It will sound better with time to get more familiar with it.

I’m glad to know that you are motivated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2019, 08:21 AM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I'm motivated, I think I stayed in improv town for too long without having the keys to the doors of every house. Those double stops after the SRV part are a bit fiddly, I've only ever played double stops on adjacent strings but we'll get there, it's nice to have a big challenge that is hard (for me) but also appears achievable.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 109 110 111 112 113 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 PM