> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 125 126 127 128 129 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Dec 18 2020, 10:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab,

Two takes buddy, one at 70bpm one at 90bpm.

Not brilliant, tonight I was very tense made even more tense by REC button syndrome. These are probably the worst I've play this lesson so far so I need to record more often now I'm back on track in life wink.gif I didn't have the GP5 audio running for guidance, purely the backing track on both.

I tried a different way of recording tonight, I didn't sync the sound separately from the DAW, it was all done at the same time, what do you think of the visual/sound sync? I usually sync the sound separately to get it spot on but I used a USB sound card plugged into my headphone out as the sound source for the video.

Rip em apart wink.gif

https://youtu.be/qF8SV2_9Ujk

https://youtu.be/2QQc3snXNhg

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2020, 10:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2020, 12:30 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice!

Yes, I can note that your fingers are tense on both lessons and this can be totally related to REC syndrome. You need to relax and try to do less strength when playing the lesson.

Your timing is good, and the grooves are sounding clean you just need to relax to improve the overall feel, dynamics, and groove here.

As this is something that will be fixed with time, I recommend you to share here new takes at lest every 3 days... what do you think? Is it possible?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2020, 09:06 AM
It's definitely possible buddy, definitely probable too, only exception will be Christmas day, boxing day and new years eve whet I will spend those evening fully with my wife.

It wasn't just REC syndrome it was also frustration because of REC syndrome, I did quite a few takes making mistakes which got me frustrated which made me more tense, it was a viscous circle.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2020, 10:10 PM
Another take this time at 80 bpm, I'm trying different bpm to get used to varying speeds to train my timing, is it worth doing that? This take was again just with the backing, no guide track from GP5. I was quite surprised at the last takes when I played them back and run the GP5 audio at the same time to check the timing, it wasn't too bad really.

I know it's still scruffy but that's going to come in time as I get more comfortable.

Apart from the dodgy chord section can you see how I can improve the playing? I can record a slow one for you if you want, maybe 50 bpm?

I know the video is a little out of sync with the sound but it helps me to do it like this as there is no post mixing in my video software, this is straight from the camera but with the sound source from one of the headphone outs on my Scarlett. Is it okay for you? I wouldn't do it for REC though.

https://youtu.be/uQNmt2M0qn4

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 19 2020, 10:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 20 2020, 09:43 PM
Further to the above post, here is a slow one, there are a couple of errors but what I notice nowadays is that if I make a mistake, I can carry on through it, before, when I made a mistake, that was it, it was all over and I had to start again so I guess this is an improvement.

https://youtu.be/vzy8X9UXUU8

Here's one at 100bpm again a couple of mistakes and scruffy.

https://youtu.be/BQCKPAZFka0

I can't do 120bpm yet, it completely falls apart so I'm going to keep on doing 60-100 bpm for a while.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 21 2020, 09:41 PM
Another one buddy,

80bpm, no guidance from GP5 audio, just playing along with the backing.

https://youtu.be/Phf_MugFTtY

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 22 2020, 02:11 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Great job mate!! It's awesome to hear how much you improved even in 2 days! This last take is much groovier than the previous ones, and the improvement can be noticed gradually by checking each take. Well done!

I noticed that you are missing some double stops in many parts. If you check my vid, I use double stops most of the time. That's the only thing to improve in this new take.

Also, I think that you are starting to feel more comfortable with the camera again!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 22 2020, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Gab,

I noticed I miss some double stops too, it's just getting familiar with it. I know I really need to slow it down again and work on bar 9 with the A7 triad in it, that needs much much more precision.

Tonight I recorded a 90bpm vid first, too fast for me really but you have to push beyond sometimes. I then went back to 80 bpm for the second video.

https://youtu.be/v-g81uO8vp0

https://youtu.be/PsEa52zw9_g

So my plan for the next couple of days is maybe not post a video tomorrow, work on the triad section a lot, then post a video again on Christmas eve, I will then take a couple of days out for Christmas day and Boxing day, unless I can give my wife some sherry to get her to fall to sleep wink.gif laugh.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 24 2020, 09:40 PM
Hello Gab,

Further to the above video, I've done a slow one, it's tricky playing slow as you know, not just timing but also remembering where you are in the piece. Anyway, here's one at 50bpm, I think it's good practise to play the lesson at different speeds to develop timing, do you agree?

There are some mistakes as usual, I'm struggling to get the A7 chord to ring on all strings, can you see why?

https://youtu.be/mzR0bbm9RcE

On another note, I have found that if I add a C to the E minor pentatonic like below, it sounds great to my ears, seems to work in any minor pentatonic key. I've found that it works not just as a passing note but to land on and hold. Maybe my ears are wonky laugh.gif
What do you think?

Thanks buddy and a merry Christmas to you and yours.

Stay safe

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 24 2020, 09:42 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 25 2020, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Good job here!!

I think that working this one at many different tempos can be really helpful. Even the slower one can be a great exercise to train your rhythm skills and inner timing. The one at 80bpm is sounding groovy to my ears, while the one at 90bpm starts to feel more uncomfortable. The last one at 50bpm is very good considering how tricky it is to play that slow! Well done. The double stops start to appear more in this takes.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 24 2020, 05:40 PM) *
Hello Gab,

Further to the above video, I've done a slow one, it's tricky playing slow as you know, not just timing but also remembering where you are in the piece. Anyway, here's one at 50bpm, I think it's good practise to play the lesson at different speeds to develop timing, do you agree?

YES!

There are some mistakes as usual, I'm struggling to get the A7 chord to ring on all strings, can you see why?

Is it because the frets are wider?

On another note, I have found that if I add a C to the E minor pentatonic like below, it sounds great to my ears, seems to work in any minor pentatonic key. I've found that it works not just as a passing note but to land on and hold. Maybe my ears are wonky laugh.gif
What do you think?

Yes, this minor syxth can sound good, but in this context I would prefer the major syxth (C#) which comes from Dorian or Mixolydian. Try it and let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 25 2020, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 25 2020, 06:03 PM) *
Hi Phil! Good job here!!

I think that working this one at many different tempos can be really helpful. Even the slower one can be a great exercise to train your rhythm skills and inner timing. The one at 80bpm is sounding groovy to my ears, while the one at 90bpm starts to feel more uncomfortable. The last one at 50bpm is very good considering how tricky it is to play that slow! Well done. The double stops start to appear more in this takes.

Thanks Gab, I don't know why but my timing seems to be better now than ever, it's like having that injury and not being able to play for quite a while seemed to do me good. I think I've said before, it's as though some bad habits/skills left me during that time, or at least got reduced somewhat.

Is it because the frets are wider?

I guess it could be, I haven't played chords on the thinner strings in that area of the neck before, not that I can remember anyway, only power chords on the wound strings. Just needs more work and localised work on the chords specifically.

Yes, this minor syxth can sound good, but in this context I would prefer the major syxth (C#) which comes from Dorian or Mixolydian. Try it and let me know what you think!

I wasn't really using it in any context other than free jamming at the end of my practise. What I don't get, is why the major SIXTH sounds better in the minor pentatonic, (over blues anyway) when it is from the Major scale, but when I'm free jamming, the minor SIXTH sounds better to my ears and it is from the minor scale.

Obviously I've had to research what scales the notes are from, I didn't just know it wink.gif but in my research I found that some of the blues scales in a certain shape (everyone's favourite shape wink.gif ) are a little odd. The notes are correct but the blue note is outside the box on the B string not on the G string where most of us would play it, in some other keys it is on the G string. Might confuse some beginners wink.gif

Thanks for you help Gab,

Merry Christmas and your Christmas English lesson is in CAPITAL BOLD wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 25 2020, 09:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2020, 04:08 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the English correction! biggrin.gif

These scale charts should clarify where the notes come from:

A Pentatonic minor:

A minor (eolian):

A dorian:

Try these 2 scales over a Am vamp and you'll get the sound of both modes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 27 2020, 09:26 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think you may have misunderstood me. When I said "in my research I found that some of the blues scales in a certain shape (everyone's favourite shape wink.gif ) are a little odd. The notes are correct but the blue note is outside the box on the B string not on the G string where most of us would play it, in some other keys it is on the G string. Might confuse some beginners". I meant in the scale generator, the minor blues may confuse total beginners.

Some display the shape like below which fits in with the pentatonic of the same position and keeps it tidy.

Most display like this with that flat 5 on the B string outside the box instead of on the G string. It's not a major issue but it could confuse complete beginners wink.gif

Cheers buddy, I will still look at those two modes.

Speak soon.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 27 2020, 09:27 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2020, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Ah! Now I get it! Yes, it can confuse an absolute beginner, but that's why having a good mentor is so important! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2020, 03:26 PM
Good point wink.gif

Just so many members /users hide in the shadows.

I don't know if you've seen but I commented on the Mary N lesson. I think it's a great lesson even for a metal fanatic.

Cheers buddy

Speak soon

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2020, 08:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 28 2020, 11:26 AM) *
Good point wink.gif

Just so many members /users hide in the shadows.

I don't know if you've seen but I commented on the Mary N lesson. I think it's a great lesson even for a metal fanatic.

Cheers buddy

Speak soon

I think that I've missed it. Where is it?

But yes! It's a killer groove / dynamics trainer for everybody!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 28 2020, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 28 2020, 07:28 PM) *
I think that I've missed it. Where is it?

But yes! It's a killer groove / dynamics trainer for everybody!

I've just noticed that you replied yesterday wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Contemporary-R-B-Licks/

I noticed the other day that you've sold your Fractal, what have you replaced it with?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 28 2020, 08:42 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2020, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 28 2020, 04:41 PM) *
I've just noticed that you replied yesterday wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Contemporary-R-B-Licks/

I noticed the other day that you've sold your Fractal, what have you replaced it with?

Cheers

Hi Phil! Yes! I've got the new version! FM3 which seems to be really cool! I'm experimenting a bit more with it before sharing my thoughts at the forum. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2021, 10:01 PM
Great, let me know how it goes with it wink.gif

Okay, been busy the last few of days with bloody car insurance pain in the proverbial it is and took all of my free time mad.gif but I've managed to sort an acoustic recording for the collab and posted it over there. Learned quite a bit about VSTs along the way, acoustic, as you know, is a whole new ball game with recording. I got me thinking, when bands had a wall of Marshalls as a backline, what did they do with all of the mics on stage? It must be a nightmare balancing it all out.

Going to try to come up with something for the other parts now, if I can. Having to neglect my shuffle lesson a little bit but still learning stuff about recording and playing wink.gif

Cheers

Speak soon.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 7 2021, 03:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2021, 06:01 PM) *
Great, let me know how it goes with it wink.gif

Okay, been busy the last few of days with bloody car insurance pain in the proverbial it is and took all of my free time mad.gif but I've managed to sort an acoustic recording for the collab and posted it over there. Learned quite a bit about VSTs along the way, acoustic, as you know, is a whole new ball game with recording. I got me thinking, when bands had a wall of Marshalls as a backline, what did they do with all of the mics on stage? It must be a nightmare balancing it all out.

hehehe yeah, it's a nightmare! That's why using amp emulators like Fractal or Kemper can be an advantage. At least you don't have a loud guitar amp on stage. That's also the reason why drummers use drum shield. One of the tricky parts of Cirse's shows was to avoid cymbals sounding extremely loud on main vocal mic. As we usually play on small venues, the singer was very close to the drummer.

This time, we've used drum shield as we were recording a live dvd: (this was also the first time I've used in ears monitors)

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2021, 06:01 PM) *
Going to try to come up with something for the other parts now, if I can. Having to neglect my shuffle lesson a little bit but still learning stuff about recording and playing wink.gif

Cheers

Speak soon.

I loved your acoustic take! It would be great to have more from you for this one!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 125 126 127 128 129 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:55 PM