New Opeth Songs, The Lotus Eater and Porcelain Heart
Fsgdjv
Apr 21 2008, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
So, Roadrunner released s song from Watershed to download for free recently, The Lotus Eater, and tomorrow Porcelain Heart is released as a single on Amazon.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/free/opeth/ . The Lotus Eater

http://www.amazon.com/Porcelain-Heart/dp/B0017IZOT6/ - You'll be able to buy Porcelain Heart there.

So, I just wanted to show it to you who might have missed it and I thought we could discuss the songs aswell here.

I just have to say that The Lotus Eater might very well be the best opeth song ever made in my opinion (if it's possible to chose one), I love everything about this song. I don't even doubt fredrik now, he's got some awesome solos. I can't wait for june 2'nd..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 21 2008, 09:39 PM
Learning Roadie
I love both of em, watched them yesterday actually. I agree that the lotus eater is really cool, the "disco beat" thing everyone was complaining about had me somewhat skeptical when i listened to it, but I don't know whats wrong with people because its not "disco" at all and it turned out totally awesome I think biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 21 2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, they've been out for a while, but not "legal" untill now, so I didn't want to make a thread about it since you shouldn't encourage piracy here laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
at lights end
Apr 21 2008, 09:52 PM
awesome, the lotus eater is seriously cool.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 21 2008, 10:27 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
New album looks to be very impressive!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Apr 21 2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor
Those songs are seriously badass, I listened Porcelain Heart at youtube, and my expectations went off the roof for the new album. Lotus Eater is so "Opeth", but still it sounds fresh and new from them. I love the fact that Opeth has their own sound, but on each new album they bring something new to it and it keeps their music so fresh and interesting.

The "disco beat" section is so weird and unexpected, I couldn't stop smiling biggrin.gif Only Åkerfeldt can come up with that kind of stuff laugh.gif

Greatest band at the moment IMO smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 21 2008, 10:38 PM
Opeth are awesome at a first listen to lotus eater i wasn't sure but seems pretty good i'm sure after a few listens i'll love it like i always do. Oh and Opeth have the best album covers ever!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 21 2008, 10:43 PM
I have to add that I love the part that sounds a lot like the main riff from "Cossacks Are" from the drift, and well. Fredriks (or I'm 99% sure it's Fredrik at least) solo there is incredibly awesome and I have no doubts in him any more.

Also, I never doubted Axe, but he's better than I could ever imagine. The drums at 2.15 in Porcelain Heart are nothing but orgasmic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 21 2008, 10:50 PM
Instructor
impressive.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 22 2008, 03:27 AM
i didn't particularly like the intro.. but everything else was soo opeth and awsome!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 22 2008, 08:42 AM
They better not ruin Would by Alice In Chains or I'll scream. AIC are in my top 10 of all time. I will give the new album a try but I hope it isn't soft and is more like pre Blackwater Park.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Apr 22 2008, 10:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Apr 21 2008, 10:43 PM) *
I have to add that I love the part that sounds a lot like the main riff from "Cossacks Are" from the drift, and well. Fredriks (or I'm 99% sure it's Fredrik at least) solo there is incredibly awesome and I have no doubts in him any more.

Also, I never doubted Axe, but he's better than I could ever imagine. The drums at 2.15 in Porcelain Heart are nothing but orgasmic.

Yeah, the first second I heard The Lotus Eater, I thought: " totally Scott Walker" smile.gif I'm guessing there's gonna be a huge SW influence on the whole record.

Axe really surprised me also, he's very good, but in my mind, no one can beat the great Martin Lopez smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 22 2008, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Apr 22 2008, 11:25 AM) *
Yeah, the first second I heard The Lotus Eater, I thought: " totally Scott Walker" smile.gif I'm guessing there's gonna be a huge SW influence on the whole record.

Axe really surprised me also, he's very good, but in my mind, no one can beat the great Martin Lopez smile.gif

Yeah, it's much more scott walker influenced than I thought it would be, especially that riff at just before the keyboard section wich is basically ripped off from cossacks are. And I love the mood on the drift so this will definetly be awesome.

Also, I didn't think he could be better than Lopez, and even though they are different and can't really be compared, it feels like I like Axenroth more. He brings life to the heavy sections, and he was almost as good as Lopez on the soft parts aswell, so I might actually prefer Axenroth over Lopez..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 22 2008, 04:32 PM
lotus eater is too freakin' awesome. that keyboard/organ part is SOOOOOOOO amazing!!

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 22 2008, 05:42 PM
The Lotus Eater" rules ohmy.gif Can't wait for their new album to come out ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 22 2008, 08:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Robin @ Apr 22 2008, 11:32 AM) *
lotus eater is too freakin' awesome. that keyboard/organ part is SOOOOOOOO amazing!!

I know, i thought so too biggrin.gif

I think I prefer lopez's drumming, but axenroth is very good, no doubt.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 23 2008, 12:08 AM
I heard Porcelain Heart yesterday and for me it's a lot better than the lotus eater i think it's an amazing track. I'm definitely looking forward to the new album in June.

+Quote Post
steiner666
Apr 23 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm kinda still digesting the new songs, and I'll probably wait until i hear the proper CD version before I deliver a final verdict. I will say this much: above par compared to other band's music out there, as far as how it stands up to their other songs... well, like I said, not sure yet. Definitely an enjoyable 16+ minutes of music however.

Oh, and they already posted a video for "Porcelain Heat" on their myspace, it's pretty cool.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 24 2008, 07:37 PM
Instructor
Porcelain heart is really nice.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 24 2008, 10:28 PM
Instructor
OPETH RULES!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:07 PM