2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My Guitar Remix Of Doom With Gab Is Out!
Socky42
Jun 30 2016, 12:30 PM
GMC:er

He'd been helping me out with videos lately, so I thought it'd be cool to work with him on a track. Tried to incorporate some synths into the arrangement.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2016, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Excellent work!

What are you using for drums?

The synth work is interesting too - what do you do to get that sound?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 30 2016, 01:44 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 30 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Excellent work!

What are you using for drums?

The synth work is interesting too - what do you do to get that sound?

Thanks Ben! For the regular drums, it's Superior Drummer 2. The big boomy and EDM style stuff came from a Kontakt library called Damage, then I just layered a couple together till it sounded right.

Synths all come from Omnisphere 2 then I run it through a distortion plugin to saturate them a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 02:53 PM
Instructor
This is totally killer mate. I'm so proud of being part of this amazing arrangement. Thanks for the invitation!

Keep on rocking the world.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2016, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 30 2016, 12:44 PM) *
Thanks Ben! For the regular drums, it's Superior Drummer 2. The big boomy and EDM style stuff came from a Kontakt library called Damage, then I just layered a couple together till it sounded right.

Synths all come from Omnisphere 2 then I run it through a distortion plugin to saturate them a bit.

Really?

I use SD 2 and I can't get them to sound anything like that???

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 30 2016, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 30 2016, 05:15 PM) *
Really?

I use SD 2 and I can't get them to sound anything like that???

I can send you my preset if you want, have you got Metal Foundry too? I do a mix of both that and avatar. I'll have to do a write-up on the plugins I used on each track too; I'll do that when I can!

Also Gab..the official Doom twitter, Bethesda and ID Software retweeted it. I didn't think they'd actually see it! laugh.gif

edit: And the composer for the new Doom saw it too!

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 30 2016, 06:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 30 2016, 06:36 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Awesome, I think it came out great!

P.S. Excellent taste in synthesizers! (I wrote Omnisphere smile.gif ).

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2016, 07:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 30 2016, 03:48 PM) *
I can send you my preset if you want, have you got Metal Foundry too? I do a mix of both that and avatar. I'll have to do a write-up on the plugins I used on each track too; I'll do that when I can!

Also Gab..the official Doom twitter, Bethesda and ID Software retweeted it. I didn't think they'd actually see it! laugh.gif

Ah, it'll be Metal Foundry making it sound so fat! I just have SD 2 with no add-ons at all.

That's great that you got some action from DOOM and Mick Gordon too cool.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 30 2016, 07:12 PM

Even if you just have the default kit, you can follow along to this tutorial I used. Starts at around 25:07, he does some crazy stuff with layering Steven Slate Drums on top but I did it just fine without. You're not gonna have the same plugins but with similar/free plugins I pretty much got the same end result. Maybe it'll work for you too!

I think the biggest factor to the drums sounding huge is his reverb on drums and how he processes the reverb. Wayyy to much for me to describe here but it's in the video somewhere after.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2016, 08:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 30 2016, 06:12 PM) *

Even if you just have the default kit, you can follow along to this tutorial I used. Starts at around 25:07, he does some crazy stuff with layering Steven Slate Drums on top but I did it just fine without. You're not gonna have the same plugins but with similar/free plugins I pretty much got the same end result. Maybe it'll work for you too!

I think the biggest factor to the drums sounding huge is his reverb on drums and how he processes the reverb. Wayyy to much for me to describe here but it's in the video somewhere after.

Cheers, I'll be all over that soon! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 30 2016, 08:35 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I have Metal Foundry, but when I'm going for a big sound, I'll use Avatar. Like Socky, I don't like to use much reverb on my drums, but I will pick up a lot of the snare from the overheads to make the drums sound bigger. The other thing I do is layer drums. I usually double the drums with another plugin I wrote, Stylus RMX, to add width and depth. The synthetic sound of Stylus complements the acoustic sound of Avatar to make it sound bigger.

Socky, yes, please write up some notes on how you did this track.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 30 2016, 09:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 30 2016, 09:32 PM
Learning Roadie
yeahhh, very good !!!

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 10:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 30 2016, 12:48 PM) *

That's so awesome mate! I can see great response from youtubers. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 1 2016, 10:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Fantastic work, guys! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 2 2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone! John Romero, one of the co-creators of the original game, shared it too! laugh.gif

I'll do a write-up on how I processed the drums in another thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 2 2016, 12:57 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 1 2016, 11:14 PM) *
I'll do a write-up on how I processed the drums in another thread.

I'd be interested in hearing how you used Omnisphere too smile.gif.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 2 2016, 12:58 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Wow, top-notch all around. Just as interesting to listen to as it is to watch. Congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2016, 07:05 AM
Nice!! Killer track and got a retweet from the Doom folks themselves!! Spiff smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 30 2016, 11:48 AM) *

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Jul 5 2016, 05:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Gab, Socky... you can't be from this planet! Thats an absolutely awesome killer track!!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:41 PM