Should I Be Conserned About My Hands?
Tuubsu
Feb 8 2008, 05:05 PM
GMC:er
So I've been playing pretty damn much lately since I have too much free time nowadays (min.8 h max even >20hours/day)
The thing is, Every morning I wake up, and squeeze my hand in to a fist, I have the squeezing power of a 1 year old little girl dry.gif it takes 1-2 hours for my real strength to come back, plus the joints on my fingers feel a little sore. It doesen't slow me down on the guitar though, the opposite I've been making HUGE progress within the last two weeks.

Someone who knows about this kind of stuff could tell me is this a warning sing from something bigger and worse or is it just normal stress that goes away with couple of days rest?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 8 2008, 05:11 PM
Get to da Chopper!
You may have hurt your hand playing so much, you should always stop when you feel any kind of pain when playing.

you should definitly try resting it for a couple of days- brush up on the theory instead wink.gif

after that you should go and see your doctor if the problem persists- they hold the magic answers unfortunatly sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 8 2008, 05:16 PM
That sounds really scary. Definitely stop and take a break. It should be ok to play all day, but you gotta take breaks, you gotta stretch, you gotta be relaxed while playing and dont push yourself too much. If you feel pain or anything, just stop immediately.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 8 2008, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 8 2008, 10:05 AM) *
So I've been playing pretty damn much lately since I have too much free time nowadays (min.8 h max even >20hours/day)
The thing is, Every morning I wake up, and squeeze my hand in to a fist, I have the squeezing power of a 1 year old little girl dry.gif it takes 1-2 hours for my real strength to come back, plus the joints on my fingers feel a little sore. It doesen't slow me down on the guitar though, the opposite I've been making HUGE progress within the last two weeks.

Someone who knows about this kind of stuff could tell me is this a warning sing from something bigger and worse or is it just normal stress that goes away with couple of days rest?

mine get like that if I do mega practice for some period, has happened a few times. except the squeezing thing. but in my case it is tightness in the hands. maybe that is what you are talking about. especially when I wake up.

just happened again the past few days, only not the joint pain. i had that a few months ago. after that i was a bit more careful not to overdo the bending. i had been doing some extreme bends. but I have had the tightness the past few days. and it does effect my playing. i will do what I did last time, play my guitar set up with light strings and down tune to e flat, and stay away from tough stuff, learn new lessons for a few days. they recover, and are stronger than ever.

i think a lot of this is just like what you experience when working out, running, etc. you wear yourself down. but then after a rest you come back stronger.

now some guys have had serious problems. but i consider that unlikely. just give it a rest for a few days. if it gets better, it was nothing. if not, see a doctor.

edit: take some long hot baths, soaking them. very hot. helps me. i heard that Eric Clapton would soak his hands every day. I always have taken hot baths to relax, so that works for me.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 8 2008, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 8 2008, 05:47 PM
I guess I'm going to have to take a couple of days of theory lessons for now... BUT the thing that makes me wonder the most about this thing is:
Even though I feel soreness on my joints while not playing, while playing I don't feel anykind of pain... when I'm not playing I feel extremely tired on my hands ALWAYS, but the strangest thing when I feel tired and start to play... I'm on frigging FIRE nothing stops me. EVERY SINGLE DAY I manage to break speed records playing cleaner and cleaner all the time no matter how tired I feel before I start blink.gif and thats why I wasn't so sure should I take a day or two off... huh.gif

But I don't think the massive loss of handpower in the mornings and the joint soreness are a good thing... sad.gif
So I'm on a roll now, but I wouldn't want to break a new speed record someday and next find out that my hand just fell off(Or something more realistic and worse)

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 8 2008, 06:03 PM
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 8 2008, 10:47 AM) *
I guess I'm going to have to take a couple of days of theory lessons for now... BUT the thing that makes me wonder the most about this thing is:
Even though I feel soreness on my joints while not playing, while playing I don't feel anykind of pain... when I'm not playing I feel extremely tired on my hands ALWAYS, but the strangest thing when I feel tired and start to play... I'm on frigging FIRE nothing stops me. EVERY SINGLE DAY I manage to break speed records playing cleaner and cleaner all the time no matter how tired I feel before I start blink.gif and thats why I wasn't so sure should I take a day or two off... huh.gif

But I don't think the massive loss of handpower in the mornings and the joint soreness are a good thing... sad.gif
So I'm on a roll now, but I wouldn't want to break a new speed record someday and next find out that my hand just fell off(Or something more realistic and worse)

practice playing real slow, very slow. it is very hard to do, because then flaws kick you in the face. but that helps your fast playing, it really does. i play fast also, at least until the past few days when I am recovering as I said. now I play real slow. very very slow. when you play slow strive for total precision, it is not easy. . try it, it will help your fast playing to do that and will give your hands a rest. I think not giving your hands a rest is risky, don't take that risk. best case is they get so bad that you have no choice, but at the minimum, they need a rest.

edit: worst case would be you have a problem that you push too far and then you can't play for months, or maybe at all. probably not, but don't take that risk.

edit2: whenever you have some physical issue that is new, you need to be a bit careful. i was a bit concerned the first time my hands hurt. but with rest it got better in a few days. now I know what that is. but this sounds like something new, so you should be careful until you have experienced this several times and know that it is nothing to worry about.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 8 2008, 06:10 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 8 2008, 08:16 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I can say DON'T WORRY ! wink.gif That thing about making a fist in the morning when you get up -with no power happened to me all the time (even before I started playing) ...It also happens when I'm tired and sleepy during the day..I guess its just normal for some people.. wink.gif I find it having nothing to do with me practicing or not practicing at all... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 8 2008, 08:17 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 8 2008, 08:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
My hands were really painful for the first 6 months !! My fretting hand kept ceasing up ( i looked like a crab at one point! ), and my finger joints were acceptionally painfull. This is when i was hammering through sweep picking and alt picking exercises like there was no tommorow wink.gif Any pain gradulally receded and disapeard for me by the 9th month.

Be carefull though, some of members have had some quite serious problems. Take it easier for a while and see if the problem lessens. Listen to your body and play it safe!!!

matt

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Feb 8 2008, 08:33 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 8 2008, 10:09 PM
You should pour cold water on your hands and lower arms after practicing to make them relaxed, that really helps for me. A bit of aches isn't that serious from my experience, but you should definitely rest once in a while. And don't play if you begin to feel sharp pains, that's when it's really serious!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor
If you feel fatigued while practicing, you should definitely watch out. It may become a trouble in a long run..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 10 2008, 10:54 AM
take a break
I injured my left hand years ago and it can be aggravated by playing guitar.
It wont hurt while playing but a few minutes after I stop I get an intense pain.

Right now for example... I've been jamming to Ivan's sweet funk lessons all day and I was having so much fun that I didn't pay attention to my hand. Now I have to type with my right hand because my left is on fire. It's horrible, if I let my arm hang down the pain will just get worse and worse until I bring it up to chest level again. I'm not just talking about sore, I mean intense pain that become unbearable

Don't risk it...

btw Ivan, your lessons are addictive, my hand is killing me but chances are I'm gonna pick up my guitar as soon as I'm done this post

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:09 PM
Instructor
Thanks man! smile.gif Nice to hear that. You can post some lesson requests if you want on my board, and I'll try to do it if I can.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 09:24 AM