3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Having A Soldano Clone Built!
fkalich
May 25 2015, 07:06 AM
GMC:er
I meant that the Soldano designs are certainly patented, i.e. intellectual property. But I can't talk on any high moral ground here, as I own two Bugera amplifiers. I am not sure how they get away with it, I guess it is just so hard to pursue any civil action against them that Peavey and the others figure it is not worth the trouble.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 24 2015, 05:21 PM) *
I actually had to pay for this one smile.gif But at least it was a bit less than the real thing. Also, I didn't want the first two channels in the Soldano X88r so I had just the third channel built smile.gif Handy!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 25 2015, 07:13 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2015, 10:50 PM
If one wants to get picky, the KEMPER is then the biggest thief of all as it steals everyones tone perfectly smile.gif This is just a hand built box built to sound somewhat like a soldano. It's not the same circuitry, just goes for a similar tone wink.gif

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 25 2015, 02:06 AM) *
I meant that the Soldano designs are certainly patented, i.e. intellectual property. But I can't talk on any high moral ground here, as I own two Bugera amplifiers. I am not sure how they get away with it, I guess it is just so hard to pursue any civil action against them that Peavey and the others figure it is not worth the trouble.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 26 2015, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 25 2015, 06:06 AM) *

I did some web digging before and after I bought an ibanez ts9, everybody agrees %90 of all overdrive pedals are tweaked versions of it. But the interesting thing is again ibanez offers a pedal called JD9, which is a ts9 with all the popular mod.s independent /company people have been doing smile.gif

They also offer SD9m, which is a modified version of a Maxon pedal and for a long time Maxon built the TS9's for ibanez biggrin.gif

These matters are complicated, for example you can't copy a toilet's design but you can design a templet of it...then you can sell the exact toilet design and no law is protecting the company who designed that toilet in the first place smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 26 2015, 01:21 AM
When it comes right down to it, amps are either a (tweaked) Fender, a National (supro), a Marshall or a Vox *(the first Marshall was a copy of a 1959 Fender Bassman - as close as he could get with English parts).
All distortion pedals are some evolution of a Maestro FZ-1, Arbiter Fuzz Face, Dallas 'range master', TS-808, MXR Dist +, RAT or a DS-1.
Kinda like any car has 4 wheels, transmission, steering column and burns some type of fuel.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 26 2015, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2015, 06:46 AM
Well said smile.gif All of our fav gear can be traced back to just a few peices that have been modded and remodded over time. Of course, folks try to patent what they can along the way, and send nasty letters from laywers from time to time to each other. But it's all derivative of what came before.

The legendary SLO 100 is actually directly ripped off from a MESA MKII. I mean physically ripped off. Mr. Soldano got some Mesa MK II's second hand and modified them. The first three SLO amps were based upon these amps. The second one built was sold to Howard Leese from the band Heart. Within six months, he had sold amps to Steve Lukather, Vivian Campbell, Aldo Nova, and Lou Reed. The rest is history smile.gif

so if you like an amp. Buy one. Take it apart, learn a bit about amps and put it back together using bits you like to tweak it and bingo! Your an amp company smile.gif

These days though, KEMPER is starting to seriously put a kink in things as folks are starting to mothball/store their prize amps after profling them. As a result, wads of very special tube amps are just sitting in storage somewhere instead of being played. The good news is, the tones will live on forever in the kemper amp exchange smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 25 2015, 08:21 PM) *
When it comes right down to it, amps are either a (tweaked) Fender, a National (supro), a Marshall or a Vox *(the first Marshall was a copy of a 1959 Fender Bassman - as close as he could get with English parts).
All distortion pedals are some evolution of a Maestro FZ-1, Arbiter Fuzz Face, Dallas 'range master', TS-808, MXR Dist +, RAT or a DS-1.
Kinda like any car has 4 wheels, transmission, steering column and burns some type of fuel.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 27 2015, 02:44 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 26 2015, 10:46 PM) *
All of our fav gear can be traced back to just a few peices that have been modded and remodded over time.

The legendary SLO 100 is actually directly ripped off from a MESA MKII. I mean physically ripped off. Mr. Soldano got some Mesa MK II's second hand and modified them. The first three SLO amps were based upon these amps. The second one built was sold to Howard Leese from the band Heart. Within six months, he had sold amps to Steve Lukather, Vivian Campbell, Aldo Nova, and Lou Reed. The rest is history smile.gif

Original Boogie by Randall Smith ...
Attached Image
Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana - the rest is history.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 27 2015, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2015, 11:38 PM
Well said smile.gif

FENDER >>(add some parts)>>>> BOOGIE >>>(remove some parts)>>> SOLDANO>>>>everything else. smile.gif

I like how it still has the FENDER badge!!

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 27 2015, 09:44 AM) *
Original Boogie by Randall Smith ...
Attached Image
Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana - the rest is history.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2015, 08:49 AM
New bit of History I just found about the original SOLDANO X88r Preamp. It was designed by Soldano on input from 80's rack legend BOB BRADSHAW specifically for STEVE LUKATHER so that Steve could stop dragging three amps to each show. He wanted a nice clean fender, marshal for crunch, and soldano slo for lead. So Bradshaw asked Soldano to build a 3 channel tube preamp, which was very forward thinking at the time. This became the X88r of legend and allowed lukather to save thousands in freight costs shipping three amps around smile.gif

Here is the blurb from GUITAR PLAYER.com

GP"Did he come out specifically to work with you?

BOB BRADSHAW:The story goes: I was working with Steve Lukather, who wanted a switcher for his multiple amp rig. We were using a Soldano amp for the main solo sound, a Marshall for crunch, and a Mesa/Boogie amp for clean. It was really expensive to ship multiple amps around, so I commissioned Mike Soldano to build the first 3-channel preamp.

I gave Mike one of my switcher chassis and said, “I want totally independent channels with bass, middle, treble, gain and master for each channel. I want the first channel to be voiced like a Fender Twin, I want a Marshall crunch channel, and I want your SLO-100 preamp stage for the solo sound. And, I want to be able to remote control it from my switching system.”

He built it and that became the Soldano X88R preamp. It opened up a big new business for Soldano, who was charging $1,800 a pop for this preamp. But even though it was my concept, he was selling them to me for $1,700! And, there were things about the Soldano I didn’t like. There weren’t many guitar-voiced power amps at that time, so you would be shoving this preamp into a flat-sounding, solid-state amp or a sterile-sounding tube amp. I had to use an extra EQ stage to give them more life.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 28 2015, 08:53 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 28 2015, 09:41 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2015, 07:49 AM) *
I want the first channel to be voiced like a Fender Twin, I want a Marshall crunch channel, and I want your SLO-100 preamp stage for the solo sound. And, I want to be able to remote control it from my switching system.”

I'd want that too biggrin.gif

Fender type cleans can pulloff modern clean tones, marshall crunch is awesome for bluesy tones and still sounds nice when crancked with pedals for shred sound.

This is somewhat why I keep going back to ignite NRR-1 plug-in, can get that smoother crunch but clean channel eq can get almost bright like a Fender amp. Important thing is the crunch can handle lead dist. from pedal, not all amps or amp sim.s can do that (bass freq.s can get funny with most of them).

I'd love a lead channel too that can sound like your Soldano clone though maybe in time as budget is set for other things for now smile.gif pedals are cool, I'm happy with the tone now but a lead channel from an amp sound much warmer in a mix and flexible in details.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2015, 03:16 AM
Your best bet, in terms of hardware (when budget permits) is probably the 3 channel myasnikov that is based on the 3 channel soldano. My rack unit is the third channel (lead channel) channel one is a clean fender sound, channel 2 is a crunchy marshall smile.gif These go for a fraction of what the real ones cost. I think around $500 for the 3 channel. Which is the same thing it costs for my single channel. I just wanted a one rack space unit smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 28 2015, 04:41 AM) *
I'd want that too biggrin.gif

Fender type cleans can pulloff modern clean tones, marshall crunch is awesome for bluesy tones and still sounds nice when crancked with pedals for shred sound.

This is somewhat why I keep going back to ignite NRR-1 plug-in, can get that smoother crunch but clean channel eq can get almost bright like a Fender amp. Important thing is the crunch can handle lead dist. from pedal, not all amps or amp sim.s can do that (bass freq.s can get funny with most of them).

I'd love a lead channel too that can sound like your Soldano clone though maybe in time as budget is set for other things for now smile.gif pedals are cool, I'm happy with the tone now but a lead channel from an amp sound much warmer in a mix and flexible in details.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 31 2015, 03:18 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:58 PM