Partially Scalloped Fretboards?, What's the purpose?
Wilska
Feb 20 2010, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
Just looking to get some knowledge here..
I've seen a few of the guitarists I like are scalloping parts of their fretboards, not the whole board. Some the 12-24 frets, some only the last 5 frets etc.
What are the reason(s) for doing this? I've never played a scalloped neck so I have no idea. Just seems weird to me to do only part of the fretboard.

Only thing that seems logical to me are that all these players play a lot of tapped high notes with bends.

Any information is welcome wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 20 2010, 11:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
It will be easier to "slide around" on the upper frets since You don't have any wood that stops the finger movements, also if You have big fingers, I think it will be easier. But to me, I like to feel the wood under my fingers....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 20 2010, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
You only scallop the higher frets to make it easier to play on them!
It's a hybrid between scalloped and not scalloped to get the best of both worlds in one guitar: a normal fretboard for playing chords and a scalloped fretboard on the upper frets to make bendings easier...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 20 2010, 11:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
hey pal, i have a partially scalloped board on my Jaden custom, from the 16-24 frets. I find it a lot easier to fret notes on the scallops coz im quite a big dude with big hands, the scallops also make you play softer as you can push the note out of tune if you press too hard, this obviously helps with sustain and resonance.
I would like to try a fully scalloped board at some point too, I think its pretty nice!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:29 PM