My Audio Gear, need some improvement
ElHombre
Mar 25 2012, 04:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Greetings

I am not so satisfied with my tone, that combined with a neck issue with my guitar turned out in real tone mess.
Now the guitar is going to be fixed however, its a high quality guitar made in Japan so the guitar I am very happy with.

But I dont really have so good audio equipment. Ive got a Peavy 100 W amp which I have used sometimes live with a few pedals, and I have my desktop pod x3.

Im looking for something that you can use for recording and live, at a fairly price, I almost got a deal with and Axe Fx standard at a good price but didnt finish the deal and I cant really find anyone for sale in my country and I am a bit unsure buying on ebay etc, and the Axe FX II has a long waitlist I guess and is too expensive for me!

So what alternatives do I have to improve my tone?
Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor
Hi man, you already have good gear. I would like to know what sound (style) would you like to get and if you are talking about gear for recording or for playing live.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Mar 25 2012, 08:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 25 2012, 03:32 PM) *
Hi man, you already have good gear. I would like to know what sound (style) would you like to get and if you are talking about gear for recording or for playing live.

Yes, maybe you are right. I think the main problem is the guitar, some neck issue that makes striking normal notes and slides sound like harmonics at some point.

But yes I think I will stick to this for a while anyway.
I meant for both, the X3 handles recording well I think but not live playing.

Isnt there things that work for both, for example axe fx isnt it used both live and for recording?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 25 2012, 08:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Mar 25 2012, 03:11 PM) *
Greetings

I am not so satisfied with my tone, that combined with a neck issue with my guitar turned out in real tone mess.
Now the guitar is going to be fixed however, its a high quality guitar made in Japan so the guitar I am very happy with.

But I dont really have so good audio equipment. Ive got a Peavy 100 W amp which I have used sometimes live with a few pedals, and I have my desktop pod x3.

Im looking for something that you can use for recording and live, at a fairly price, I almost got a deal with and Axe Fx standard at a good price but didnt finish the deal and I cant really find anyone for sale in my country and I am a bit unsure buying on ebay etc, and the Axe FX II has a long waitlist I guess and is too expensive for me!

So what alternatives do I have to improve my tone?
Cheers

Try POD HD PRO It cost about $500 and it's very good for the price! It's pretty close to AXE FX! But much cheaper!
I have a friend who has one and he loves it!!!

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Mar 25 2012, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 25 2012, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm newer to home recording, so most of my gear choices/experience has been in achieving the best live tone.

I've never been a big fan of Peavey, and personally lean towards tube amps. Have you ever tried any Mesa Boogie Amps/heads? Great for nearly all styles.

Other than that, I stopped using digital effects processors long ago. I'd rather have fewer options, with more true tone, as opposed to a gazillion effects that sound...."digital-y". tongue.gif

But, none of that helps with achieving great tone at home (other than a decent guitar). I recently picked up a line 6 KB37, which has all the pod farm software and such. I have amplitube also, but still don't really know how to integrate all the software together, so I've just been using the free Ableton Lite/Podfarm 2.0 software. So far, it's more than enough for me.

From what I've heard, it's expensive to get picky with the home recording tone, like I have with live tone. for example, I'd need good preamps and such, and again....I simply don't know a thing about home recording, so my Line 6 is more than sufficient at this time.

Not sure if any of that info will actually help.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Mar 25 2012, 09:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks guys I will look into it.
It seems to be matter of taste, I am very happy with digital stuff, I think it is the future.

POD HD pro seemd kind of awesome, cheapest I can find in europe t is from germany/thomann) and its 850 $ though.
But can you buy some pedal or something to switch preset tone if ever using it live?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2012, 10:05 PM
Instructor
Yes, I have Pod HD live and the emulations are really good. It's cool for recording and also for playing live if you play in a hall were the sound system is good. If not, it would be better to use an amp than sending the guitar sound by line. One option would be to go for the Pod HD, the other option is keeping the X3 (which is also good) and get a tube amp for live shows. I personally prefer option 2 if you have the possibility to but a relatively good amp.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 25 2012, 11:39 PM
Instructor
That is what I found you can use that or any midi footcontorller
http://line6.com/podhd/pro/addons.html

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2012, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
Here are a couple of links that will hopefully help wink.gif here is my thread on FREE software for home recording. In the home setting, getting your guitar signal in to the computer is the crucial bit. You can get really good results using plugins/emulation etc. OF course, using nice microphones on really nice amps in a great room will be better. But until you work all that out, here's a place to start for free using software.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=36238

Better yet, here is TONY MIROS collection of recording classes. A series of great posts on nearly every aspect of recording. These go beyond home recording but all of it is great info.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=74

Finally, here is the RECORDING section of the wiki with some amazing resources and info!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Recording

There are tons of great resources in our WIKI. Fran does a great job with it!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 26 2012, 02:07 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2012, 04:23 AM
GMC:er
QUICK EXAMPLE: GUITAR RIG 4 (Home Recording Made Easy)

As an example of what I"m on about with software / home recording, here is a patch I made for guitar rig 4 (I HATE the stock patches that are supposed to sound heavy but that's just me)

You can get a FREE version of GUITAR RIG 5 (The new one) that comes with a Demo of the PRO version at this link.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...r-rig-5-player/

The pro version is $200 U.S. And with products like OVERLOUD TH2, AMPLITUDE etc. is a great way to get killer tone without breaking the bank or disturbing the neighbors. All you really need is a laptop, a recording interface, a DAW and a couple of plugins to make decent quality stuff.

Here is the Audio Sample from the patch.
Attached File  103PatchDemo.mp3 ( 1.82MB ) Number of downloads: 79

Here is the patch itself. (works with guitar rig 4 and 5)
Attached File  GMC_103_Djentish.ksd.zip ( 5.53K ) Number of downloads: 80

In short, you can work/spend your way up as you go, but just to get started, good tone is within your reach right now smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Mar 26 2012, 12:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 25 2012, 10:39 PM) *
That is what I found you can use that or any midi footcontorller
http://line6.com/podhd/pro/addons.html

Okey cool, where dit you find it for 500$ Alex? I mean the HD pro itself. That price seems very reasonable if the shipping isnt to high. Do they sell there stuff from the website? Couldnt find anything.

Todd, yeah I have heard of that program will look in to it again thanks

This post has been edited by ElHombre: Mar 26 2012, 12:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:36 AM