Some Help....., I'm clueless!
AliMo
Oct 15 2007, 03:11 AM
GMC:er
O.k well I've been playing for almost a year now(9-10 months) but lately because of school my practice time was cut dramatically. Now that I have a job my guitar playing is in jeopardy. It seems that the small amount of time I get to play I waste on just playing songs I know for about 15-20 minutes to have a little fun and just to say I practiced. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now and I know it isn't doing anything for me and I want to stop. I've come here to ask for help. I remember I used to read the tip of the day all the time and 1 of them was to learn all new material if you are getting bored with your routine. However, I don't want to just learn new material, I want a nice solid hour-long practice routine. I want to practice better AP and increase my speed, but I also want to work on my rhythm and timing. I know that there are a lot of exercises on this site but it sort of confuses me more tongue.gif . I'm not sure which one(s) would be good for me to learn. Would it be too much trouble for someone to help me make a practice routine that uses like 2 of the AP lessons and 2 lessons to help my rhythm and maybe just a song that isn't too difficult that I could learn all the way through(I'm a huge metallica/iron maiden fan if that helps). Thanks very much in advance! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AliMo
Oct 16 2007, 06:35 AM
sry don't mean to be a pest and double post, but could anyone help me out please?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 16 2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Alimo, it's great that you are trying to boost your practise into a more effective place.
For AP I think that Pavel's AP1 to 3 lessons are excellent exercises to learn. Just remember to play them clean and even and not go for speed at first - let it come naturally.
Also I know there are 2 Iron Maiden "In The Style Of' lessons so they would be good for your rhythm playing do you think? - also doing a sound you already love...
If it were me I would memorize each of the AP lessons over the next week or so and play them with a metronome set on a comfortable speed(say first 20mins of your hour) then begin learning one of the Iron Maiden lessons (20 mins) and then play all your old stuff /choose a new song to have a go at for the last 20 mins.
If you kept that up every day your picking and timing will improve for sure.
Make sure you still have fun laugh.gif
Let me know if you have more questions. I haven't actually looked at the Iron Maiden lesson yet so am not sure if they would be too advanced for you.

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
AliMo
Oct 16 2007, 09:50 AM
I've actually learned one of the licks from the second iron maiden lessons so i will definitely try to learn em both all the way through if I can. As for the 1-3 AP lessons, would it be more beneficial to learn all 3 of them at once and switch it up?

Btw thanks a lot for that response, I was actually expecting just a bump in the direction of which lessons would be good but you almost created my whole routine, thanks!

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 16 2007, 02:28 PM
Cool. Well maybe start with one AP and next day add the next and next day add the next and then yes - just switch em up. They make great warmups I have found.
I often play them in between other stuff when I'm doing long practise sessions. Then other times I play them for long periods of time, slowly increasing metronome speed, and then other times I'll just play one little pattern out of one them them for 15 mins or so and really nail that little lick (like only 8 or 16 notes). That way I never get bored and I keep improving biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:46 AM