3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Help With Decision To Quit Or Not, Andrew's Idea :)
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 26 2008, 03:09 PM) *
BTW, dude, I saw your picture in that one thread where everyone was posting their pictures, and you didn't look like crap. You look just like a good ol' metal head biggrin.gif cool.gif

lol. Cheers biggrin.gif The pic with Mustaine. That was a few years ago now but I try and get on with things.

Pavel, the band always wants to practice but they don't seem to have higher aspirations than practicing. They don't try and get gigs. All they want to do is practice and record songs for an album. I love recording and practicing but there is nothing better than playing your music to a large crowd.

I will try giving guitar a rest for a while and see if that changes anything and then I'll make a decision on whether to sell the stuff. I'm really down at the moment because of that guitar. I really hope they can make it look like new again. They said 300 pound and they'd get it looking like new again. I just hope they can. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 26 2008, 04:32 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well Dude, im so sorry your haveing a shit time - same goes to any other members who are also haveing problems sad.gif

You know, I had ALOT of various health issues to deal with just a couple years ago. I was so ill last summer after haveing caught multiple bugs / flu / general nastys that I was hardly well enough to go for a walk. I can tell you, that is a pretty harsh thing to deal with !! Ive also lost some pretty well paid jobs in IT due to poor health.

So things at one point looked pretty bleak to me. Today I am a MUCH stronger person for all these problems that lasted a long time. Ive built some serious charecter that few of my friends have.

Most of my "friends" who are popular,well paid ,good looking and generally have an exceptionaly good quality of life are some of the most ignorant, rude and down right horrible people I know. Why whould they be nice people? they dont need to be.... hell one of them cant even talk to me without insulting me in anyway possible blink.gif

Those of us who are not handed everything on a plate strive up to be something very special indeed. Because we need to work hard to get what we want, we become strong, intelligent and most of all full of charcter.smile.gif

Today my life is not perfect, my health IS better but im still not that fit. However,I picked up a guitar, subscribed to GMC and today Im extremely proud of what I have acheived here !! I am very happy, happy that everyday I can acheive on my guitar, acheive in my studys and go out and make new friends smile.gif I can go fishing, and I can watch dirty cartoons on tv (southpark !! laugh.gif laugh.gif ).

I dont have a $$$$ Guitar, but I LOVE my £200 / $400 Cort axe to bits. The only thing i dont like about it is the crappy lock in nuts on the head keep looseing there thread laugh.gif

Kris teaches us that with good guitar lessons and hard work you can make it as a guitarist. This is FACT smile.gif (you can tell I really hang onto everything Kris has tried to teach). So whats stopping you ? Why not forget the band for a while, and forget trying to learn songs. try going through all the 101 lessons, listen to kris's thought on practicing and then work through as many gmc lessons as possible.

I feel I am making the progress I wanted, and If I can you can. I dont have any natural talent - I just live by the metronome wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 04:38 PM
I agree with most of what you say if not all Matt. You are wise. I have just finished education and I graduated but 5 years at uni doing an undergraduate degree in Systems Engineering has pretty much killed me and like you I was very ill in the last year for the full year and it meant I lost out on a first and got a 2.1 degree but I feel I did the best I could. I never got money given to me at uni, I always made my own way. I'd never let other people buy me guitars as I want to buy them for myself to show I've put every bit of effort into being able to own the guitar. It also has the bad parts when things go wrong though that something that is pretty much a part of who you are is damaged it damages deep inside you. I need to get past this and I am going to try. I've been trying to meet new friends and I've got a few new friends smile.gif I also am trying to cut down on drinking because I used that as a way to cover up my depression sad.gif You're a great guy Matt and I'm glad your health is better and you really enjoy life smile.gif I'm gonna put my all into having a better existence. biggrin.gif Something makes me unhappy and I just need to find what it is and change it smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 26 2008, 04:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
Sounds like a good plan man !! Stopping or cutting down drinking *IS* a fantastic idea I can assure you. I stopped drinking years ago, I drink a 2 litre bottle of mineral water daily now, eat fresh fruit and take all my vitamins wink.gif

The best way to stop any cycle of stress, depression or anxiety is to but your energys into being creative. Be that with an instrament, working towards something you want career wise or just working towards the things you really want out of life smile.gif

Besides mastering the guitar, and working towards being a web / graphic designer I like to help people less fortunate than myself too smile.gif Why not take a similair approach?

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 26 2008, 04:48 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 03:38 PM) *
I'm gonna put my all into having a better existence. biggrin.gif Something makes me unhappy and I just need to find what it is and change it smile.gif

So glad to hear it mate smile.gif You have the support of the entire community (quite clearly smile.gif )

You can pull through this! Best of luck wink.gif

+Quote Post
Duncan
Feb 26 2008, 04:49 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Something makes me unhappy and I just need to find what it is and change it.

Good advice for anyone that.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 26 2008, 03:46 PM) *
Besides mastering the guitar, and working towards being a web / graphic designer I like to help people less fortunate than myself too smile.gif Why not take a similair approach?

I'm too much of a quitter sad.gif 7 instruments over 19 years. I try and do some 3D Animation in 3D Studio Max and I also can design websites but I never get the time anymore it seems sad.gif I used to volunteer a lot when I was at school to help people that struggled to understand homework problems to make sure they understood it and could answer them. I enjoyed those times as seeing them progress was great. I also teached a guy on guitar who is probably better than me now but I enjoyed teaching him and I'm so glad he is happy playing guitar and enjoys it smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 26 2008, 04:51 PM
yeah volunteer work with homeless folks will give you loads of perspective.

Not saying I do it, but I had some court ordered community service when I was younger and got loads of perspective from that tongue.gif

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 26 2008, 05:52 PM
I have to say that Matt has said some really wise things. The only thing I can add is my opinion of the original question, even though it's the same as lots of people have said. Don't quit entirely, at least don't sell all your guitars, but try to change the way you play, maybe quit the band if that feels like the right thing. At least you should change the way you play guitar, maybe just play when you really feel like playing, and just try to enjoy it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2008, 09:19 PM
Instructor
Orrganized you are not a quiter, look how much you are stuck with guitar - 5 years! that's more than people go to college! Think about it. You are not having troubles with the guitar, you are having problems with your life and your band! Deal with your problems, and practice the guitar. The guitar will never be something bad in your life, music is the light man, and don't quit the thing that shades the light i your life. If you don't have to many friends - so what? People are alone in life most of the time! If you don't feel like playing in a band / QUIT the band! Practice on your own and search for another band. Maybe a year will pass, maybe you can make a small break, but don't put yourself down you're gonna feel even MORE miserable as time passes.

You need a change but not a change in a way that you quit playing, you know in your hearth that that is not the way to go. You need a positive change, so quit that band, be alone for a while and practice and pretty soon everything will work out!

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Feb 26 2008, 09:31 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 26 2008, 09:24 PM
Lets go fishing!
Some good points Ivan. I think time away from a band could be a really positive step towards what you want. Some time with just you and the guitar could be awsome!! wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 09:28 PM
I really want to go on holiday to Japan as well sometime with my mate but it's just money isn't it.

Thanks for the tips Ivan. I think it's time I have a break from the band. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Angelica
Feb 26 2008, 10:19 PM
Well when someone asks me for advice about leaving music or not... I say always the same thing... NEVER GIVE UP ROCK'N ROLL!!
You're not a good guitarist? Ok, neither am I. If I thought as you are thinking now, I would have left music many years ago. Yeah, sometimes life is a s...t. THat's why there's rock'n roll!!!

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=BouIFzam3zU

WATCH IT!!!!

This post has been edited by Angelica: Feb 26 2008, 10:20 PM

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post
stratman33
Feb 26 2008, 10:24 PM
i agree with everyone else about keeping one of ur guitars....

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 26 2008, 11:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 02:59 PM) *
Reason 1: I have been in the same band for 4 years now and we aren't going anywhere. We've been trying to find a bassist for a few years now and we've been recording songs mainly that I have written and I don't think my songs are good enough sad.gif Also I write every bit of the songs which is very stressful and I'm useless at organising gigs. We love playing gigs but we only have about 3 gigs a year and it's getting to the point where it just isn't worth the bother as I'm not enjoying the band anymore and I want to be giging every other week at least as we have enough songs and covers to do.

Meet with the band on a regular rehearsal night but sit down in a neutral place. Discuss the matters and find solutions. Set up common goals and how to reach them.
If you can't come to conclusions on how to move on then start thinking about quitting. Try to get organised first. Maybe form or find another band?

Reason 2: I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I was self taught until recently when I started getting lessons off of David C Bond off of the forums. He is an amazing guitarist and a great teacher who always prepares well for every lesson and links everything together so well but I never seem to have time to practice what he is teaching me and it gets me down because I want to get better at what he is showing me but it's difficult to find the time so I never improve and I hold my pick wrong apparently but like many I still can't get my head around what is the correct way.

Don't give up too easy. It takes time to get better but as progress starts showing it can sometimes come a lot in a chunk while other times there's just a little at a time. Refine your technique and give it 2-3 weeks of playing for a couple hours every day. It takes a bit of time to break a bad habit. Run boring scales etc. It's on 2-3 weeks, may feel like an eternity but it will help you a lot. And make sure you don't fall into improvising, that just brings back yyour old bad habits. Work on the new technique. Pick grip, dampening, neck grip or whatever it could be.

Reason 3: I'm useless on guitar. My downpicking is so slow I can barely play anything downpicked. I struggle at playing any song. I can;t even play Paranoid fast enough down picked sad.gif I don't know where I'm going wrong and if I'm even good enough to continue.

Been there. Change your technique and I'm positive you will improve, a lot.

I love listening to music and at one time when I was happy with myself and life I really loved guitar. Now I am miserable all the time and never feel like playing and I really need to sort my life out otherwise I'm just gonna drive myself insane or worse sad.gif My opinion of my self is so bad and I think I'm an ugly piece of s*** that is a loser and just does the same process every day and never changes. I only have about 3 friends and I rarely go out sad.gif

Please help me. But I'm going to put my guitars up for sale I think. What do you guys think. I hope you can offer advice as it may help me to find the problem area. sad.gif

Cheers everybody smile.gif

Give it a chance first, with the correct technique a sprinter can cut time, you can improve your accuracy and speed. Don't add "quitter" to the list of self disrespect you've got. Which I'm certain is not representative for how others look upon you but just how you look upon yourself. Not true i.e.
Regarding "same process every day". Welcome to real life, that's just the way it is. Find the pieces of joy! Playing the guitar is mine, by myself or in my band.

You say you write lousy songs, post them here and let the forum ppl help you improve them. We're got plenty of self proclaimed experts here, and some real ones wink.gif Take the songs back to your band and perform them.

I suggest you focus! Focus on improving your technique. Focus on your song writing, take help and improve. Focus on improving your bandsituation. Because to me you seem very unfocused as of now. First selling all your guitars, then buying a new dean, back and forth all the time. As if now that a chunk of wood came of of the Caparison your entire life went downhill. Surely this has very little to do with your guitar but represents something else but instead of dealing with it you project it upon your guitars. Buying the Caparison in the first place, a $3000 guitar when you're not a professional. Why even do that?
Completely crack up when it's broken. Why?
Proclame self being ugly piece of **** looser at the same time. Why?

Looks to me you have to realize this guitar (and the Parker) isn't your identity. Owning an expensive guitar doesn't improve your person, neither should it be in your hands to bring focus off of you => Capraison improves self, broken Caparison expose your person which you rate low - People will see you, not your guitar or even a broken expensive guitar would rate you even less.

Ok, I like to study people and behaviour but as often as I'm wrong I'm also right. On a forum it's difficult of course but above is some conclusions. Wrong or right, only you'd know for certain. Bluntly put, certainly, but if I'm wrong laughs are on me dry.gif if I'm right in any way I'm glad if anything I said could support you.
I like to butt in when I see two kids fighting or if I see a kid crying, if I'm not wanted, fine.
And what I said was. Focus on yourself, take notice of yourself, work to improve your playing, don't quit and never degrade yourself. Your guitars are nothing, they don't represent who you are. What's worth something is you and you just need to realize you're a fine person no matter what guitars you've got.

An easy "trick" of raising ones self esteem is if you stop looking down on the ground. Look straight forward, raise your chin 1 cm... you'll feel more secure and that's how others will see you aswell. Don't raise it too much or others will look upon you as stuck-up.

If you're laughing and pointing at me I'm happy since then you're just in a passing moody temper. If not perhaps you've got years of bad selfesteem in your luggage. Stick around, this is a friendly place!

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 26 2008, 11:50 PM
I totally agree with Micke, he got it dead on.

I was totally like you about a year ago, I had begun to hate guitar, never played it, loathed thinking about "how bad I was" but the members here picked me up and made me realise why I loved it in the first place. I find it hard to put the damn thing down now when I pick it up! laugh.gif

Guitar is a great tool for expression of your emotions, not part of your emotions itself.

A guitar doesnt make the player, a player makes the player smile.gif

If you want to be better you can be better, anybody can do anything, but only if they believe they can.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 27 2008, 12:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
You say youre useless and your band is no good. Wana know something? I listen to Psychotic Manipulation on a regular basis. Its on my media player, my iPod and alot of my friends iPods and computers. If my friends (who are all musicians by the way-every one of them) think youre good, you are smile.gif Ive been in a situation like you have, where you feel like shit and don't want to play. But very soon, you will notice a very tiny ammount of improvement, and you will be very motivated to practice and play guitar and do whatever! smile.gif So just give it some time man! smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 27 2008, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 26 2008, 11:00 PM) *
You say youre useless and your band is no good. Wana know something? I listen to Psychotic Manipulation on a regular basis. Its on my media player, my iPod and alot of my friends iPods and computers. If my friends (who are all musicians by the way-every one of them) think youre good, you are smile.gif Ive been in a situation like you have, where you feel like shit and don't want to play. But very soon, you will notice a very tiny ammount of improvement, and you will be very motivated to practice and play guitar and do whatever! smile.gif So just give it some time man! smile.gif

Cheers man. I'm glad you like the song. I'm really gonna try and find the time to play guitar more and practice techniques but also learn the songs that made me get into music. I'm gonna continue and try my best smile.gif

MickeM you have talked a lot of sense. I have posted my songs on here and I have got some help on them smile.gif If you want to listen to them go to www.myspace.com/voiceofthesouluk

Those are all my songs in every way. I've had a word with the band and I'm going round tomoz to work on some songs with others smile.gif After my exam biggrin.gif

SRV - How would you say my technique is bad after listening to Psychotic Manipulation. What do I need to work on also? I really need feedback on my playing and I'm going to try and post a video showing how I pick smile.gif
It gets you down when people take the piss out of ya but people do like me and I should listen to them more than some losers in the street shouting abuse.

I love people on this forum and thanks for helping me out smile.gif

I bought a $3000 guitar because it makes me happy to have it. I get paid money for working hard so to spend it on something I love is worth it to me smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 27 2008, 12:40 AM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 27 2008, 12:57 AM
Well man,

I would keep one guitar that you like at least. You don't have to play it, and you might not ever touch it again, but if you do decide to you wont have second thoughts.

And look, your health is more important, maybe guitar just isn't right for you, maybe you should take up another hobby that is alot less stress full and that you should enjoy much more.

I just wish you best of luck and hope you make a decision that works for you.

And really, If you dont decide to give up, then just take a break from guitar, don't touch it, go do something else that you like, when you come back you'll be a new guitarist, with much more motivation to get better.

tj

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 27 2008, 01:00 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 27 2008, 01:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
Just checked out the rest of the songs on your myspace. WOW! Not a good band? ... beats mine dry.gif I don't really know how to crit your playing as it seems you are a better player than I smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:18 PM