Busking Instrumental
Taka Perry
Aug 18 2013, 08:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm gonna go busk in the coming month or so, but as I'm not really a singer, I'm planning on going solo guitar.

I'm planning on playing instrumentals but also what would you think of taking a famous song, and playing the vocal line on the electric guitar. I think that if I play a song that people recognize it will be better, and there are a lot more famous songs with vocals than without. I am also planning on playing originals that I have written over the years.

I'll have an amp, a multi FX pedal, and a looper. I will probably use an iPod for backing tracks if I need.

Also, what would you guys saying about improvising over a jam track? I know that can get a bit boring, but it could work. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 18 2013, 10:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
Also, if you guys know any songs that would sound full and complete without a backing track, please let me know smile.gif Kind of like this one..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2013, 04:43 PM
Instructor
That's a beautiful track by Buckethead. smile.gif He has many songs played only with his guitar.

I think that adapting a popular song and adding your style to it, maybe some improvised parts to make you yours is a good idea. Pat Metheny has done something similar with this track and I think that it's amazing:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2013, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Hey Taka - you should alternate famous songs with short (2-3 minutes) smooth backing tracks or you could make a list of emotions which go well with the time of the day in which you will perform smile.gif

Evening - some nice relaxing atmospheric stuff - especially if you are in a seaside region

For instance - that's how I'd make my playlist based on:

- where am I going
- what sort of people will abound there
- what hour will I perform at

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 19 2013, 10:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2013, 06:44 PM) *
Hey Taka - you should alternate famous songs with short (2-3 minutes) smooth backing tracks or you could make a list of emotions which go well with the time of the day in which you will perform smile.gif

Evening - some nice relaxing atmospheric stuff - especially if you are in a seaside region

For instance - that's how I'd make my playlist based on:

- where am I going
- what sort of people will abound there
- what hour will I perform at

What do you think?

Awesome ideas Cosmin. Thanks for sharing. My busking set will be 3 hours, and will be from the evening into the night. I agree with the atmospheric stuff. That actually really works out with my musical tastes smile.gif

I've still got about a month until I'm busking (I'm doing 4th October), but I think it's good to think about these things well beforehand. I'm keeping a list of songs I can play in a little notepad, that way I can have my ideas in a central place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2013, 11:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 19 2013, 09:35 AM) *
Awesome ideas Cosmin. Thanks for sharing. My busking set will be 3 hours, and will be from the evening into the night. I agree with the atmospheric stuff. That actually really works out with my musical tastes smile.gif

I've still got about a month until I'm busking (I'm doing 4th October), but I think it's good to think about these things well beforehand. I'm keeping a list of songs I can play in a little notepad, that way I can have my ideas in a central place.

That's very good man - planning thoroughly has always helped me juggle efficiently enough with the many activities that make up my life smile.gif

Now, another interesting thing - this sort of instrumentals - meaning the ones emulating famous pop songs with very strong and melodic vocal lines will bring you a lot of success smile.gif

Check this out and try to make a wide selection of 'hits' tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 20 2013, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 20 2013, 08:52 PM) *
That's very good man - planning thoroughly has always helped me juggle efficiently enough with the many activities that make up my life smile.gif

Now, another interesting thing - this sort of instrumentals - meaning the ones emulating famous pop songs with very strong and melodic vocal lines will bring you a lot of success smile.gif

Check this out and try to make a wide selection of 'hits' tongue.gif

That is great man, I really liked the emotion in that guitar. I prefer that side of guitar over virtuosity smile.gif I'll build up a repertoire in the coming weeks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:32 PM