Pick Movement
SamB
Nov 30 2009, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
Hi, this is my first post on here, I dont know if its in the right place or if this topic has been covered before. I cant find it if it has !!

I havent been playing long at all so this problem may and probably is entirely down to practice.

When playing the pick moves back inbetween my thumb and index finger. It sounds a simple thing but I'm sure this is holding my playing back considerably. Everything starts fine, hitting the strings fine and then it gets to the point I can no longer compensate. I have considered super glue !!!

I have tried a variety of different picks, many people have said they subconsiously adjust the pick. When I try and adjust mid flow it all goes pear shaped.

If anyone has any suggestions other than super glue they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sam

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Nov 30 2009, 08:03 PM
All I can offer is that if you watch experienced guys playing closely you will see that they are not immune to the pick going awry. A little finger jungle and it is back in business all without skipping a beat or thought. It is something that comes with practice. Until then, it might be worth experimenting with different brand, size, material of picks to see whether something works better for you with your playing style. It can make a huge difference. Although, it can take a little time to adjust to the feel of a new style pick.

Hope that steers you in the right direction.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 30 2009, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (SamB @ Nov 30 2009, 12:05 PM) *
When I try and adjust mid flow it all goes pear shaped.

This is now one of my favorite sentences ever. So, to fix your picking issue, you have most of the answer. Practice is a large part of it, but there may be a few other things you can do:

- angle the pick, squeeze a little tighter
- try picks with different surfaces (Santiago will be by shortly to ask if you've tried to scratch the pick with a knife)
- try picks of different thickness, resistance, and material
- try those cactus picks, nice grip on them
- try again to angle the pick and squeeze a little tighter; that's really the best answer

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 30 2009, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have had the same problem with many picks but i found some that worked for me and i only use them now

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2009, 09:19 PM
Instructor
The problem is you are not hitting the string at 90 degrees angle, so the string is tucking away the pick further into the hand when you pick it. This is a common issue, and is resolved with focused and slow practice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Dec 1 2009, 06:31 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Many picks tend to get a bit slippery, specially on stage when you are sweating, what you could try is using a different pick, maybe one with a more rough surface.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
ErosDervishi
Dec 1 2009, 10:08 PM
i had this problem and i found eventually you get better at holding it , btw try jazz 3 picks extrra large , they might not slip as much , the dunlop tortex picks also have a very good grip

+Quote Post
JamesT
Dec 2 2009, 01:39 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
It depends how you hold the pick. For the most of my guitar "career", I held the pick between the tip of my index finger and the tip of my thumb. ...probably kind of wrong to be honest. I got pretty good at adjusting the position of the pick every now and then while playing, but it definately inhibited my playing.

When I joined GMC about two years ago, I switched the way I hold the pick to a more mainstream way of doing it. (lots of pictures here on GMC of this method) and the pick movement immediately went away. It simply does not rotate in my fingers anymore. Of course, I've had to get used to the new way of positioning my hand (kind of like a fist with wrist resting on the bridge), but that's another story. In the long run, I think the new way of holding the pick will be much better for me.

Not sure if you have the same issue, but just in case.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Dec 6 2009, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
There's always Gorilla Snot.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MIS...edium=feed&

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 6 2009, 09:07 PM
Instructor
Try Cactus picks as Jafo said,
I ordered bunch of those and they really can't slip unless you wanna throw them!
Check them out.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
zen
Dec 6 2009, 10:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I can suggest an unorthodox solution should you be brave enough to try it..

Wrap a bit of that medical white tape (dont know the brand, the most widely used, there arent many), around the far edge of the pick (where you hold it) .. The rough surface of the tape is gonna give your fingers a good grip. Just a little bit of it should be enough. Even if your hands get sweaty, it wont slip.. This worked like a treat for me when i played gigs long time back. Hope it works for you too. All the best.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:05 PM