Breaking Out Of The Pentatonic Scale
Jeff
Jun 5 2007, 09:04 PM
GMC:er
Hey all,

I need a little advice on breaking out of the Pentatonic Minor scale. It seems that over the years I have gotten so comfortable with it and I use it ALL of the time when I play. I sound like a broken record and I'm frustrated and sick of the same old sound.

For example, pretend that I am playing a basic blues type of song using A, D, & E and I'm playing A Pentatonic Minor. OK, then the song shifts up a couple of frets to another key of whatever. Now, instead of just taking that same Pentatonic pattern and sliding it up two frets accordingly, I want to use another scale. What can I use? I'm probably confusing everyone, but I'm just tired sick of the Pentatonic Minor.

Any guidance on what scales to use in what keys? Any practice tips to break out of the same scale over and over?

thanks!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Ben C
Jun 5 2007, 09:28 PM
If your interested, here's a Slash style scale I made a while ago. Its Pentatonic, but its got a lot of harmonic minor and blues notes thrown in. It can make the pentatonic scale sound much more interesting.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/houdini771/pho...8804334925795/0

Hope I was somewhat helpful,

Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 5 2007, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (Ben C @ Jun 5 2007, 10:28 PM) *
If your interested, here's a Slash style scale I made a while ago. Its Pentatonic, but its got a lot of harmonic minor and blues notes thrown in. It can make the pentatonic scale sound much more interesting.

Ben

cool

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jun 5 2007, 10:08 PM

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jun 7 2007, 07:32 AM
QUOTE (Ben C @ Jun 5 2007, 09:28 PM) *

Ben

thanks. I'll work with it.

+Quote Post
sb81
Jun 8 2007, 06:51 PM
I hear the Mixylodian scale is suppose to sound good with blues more so if it's I7-IV7-V7 blues.

I'm also getting sick of the same minor pentatonic scale I play tongue.gif I need to learn the Mixylodian up & down the fretboard.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:28 AM