5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Wrk-organisedconfusion Mtp Sessions Thread
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 2 2009, 05:39 AM
GMC:er
Hey long time no speak. You'll be glad to hear I spent a lot of today practicing Joe's lesson. But before I came to record I punched the wall and sprained my hand like an idiot so couldn't. But hopefully tomorrow it is fixed a bit and I can get a recording done. I will post a video take tomorrow smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 2 2009, 01:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ouch .. i hope you didn't hurt yourself too bad? Let it heal carefully. Joe's lesson is not that type of music where pain is any helpful to add the emotional touch smile.gif .. be carefull OC.

No need to upload a complete take for the beginning. Only the first 4 or 8 bars would be enough. If you can not play guitar for few days we can continue with theory as well(?)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 2 2009, 02:12 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 2 2009, 12:33 PM) *
Ouch .. i hope you didn't hurt yourself too bad? Let it heal carefully. Joe's lesson is not that type of music where pain is any helpful to add the emotional touch smile.gif .. be carefull OC.

No need to upload a complete take for the beginning. Only the first 4 or 8 bars would be enough. If you can not play guitar for few days we can continue with theory as well(?)

I'm forcing myself to play it now lol. It kills so if it isn't as great then sorry but I'm giving it my best smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 2 2009, 03:04 PM
Here you go man. I only did audio take however I recorded it twice and panned 1 take 30% left and one 30% right. smile.gif See what you think. I'm not great at this lesson and with my hand barely being able to move in certain ways it was a struggle smile.gif Safe to say the wall won in my battle smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 2 2009, 03:05 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  I_Got_Rhythm_Guitar_5___Muted_Arpeggios.mp3 ( 991.33K ) Number of downloads: 160

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 2 2009, 05:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Woa ... That is really nice !! .. and you played the complete lesson. Good job OC !!

Synchronization:
Great that you already did a take with two guitars. I think you could open it even a bit more and pan the tracks more to the left and right to hear each guitar better. I am really impressed that you managed to play it both times quite synchronized to each other. Of course there are a few shaky parts and i can tell this is really not easy. This is detail work (the fun part smile.gif) now and will need more time, but great that you are already that far. So good job on that!

Dynamic:
What i like about your take is the dynamic you integrated. It's not static muted notes, you open and change the amount of muting to keep everything alive .. i really like that! Maybe you could pronounce the 3 E notes (0, 6-String) at the beginning of each bar a bit more. You did this quite well already, but try it even a bit more. It maybe will help you to stick to the beat through out the complete lesson.

Timing:
It could be a bit more tight and that is a real challenge on this lesson. Somehow the timing it slightly "swimming" at some points (don't know if you say it in english like this laugh.gif). I practice this lesson as well and have the same problem.

Here are a few ideas how to work on this: First put the backing loud enough, so that your hear really well the drums in your headphones. Did you recorded the backing with your DAW? If, you can try to export Joe's GP5 file as midi file and import it into your DAW, try to align it to the backing, pan the midi track to the left and your guitar to the right (not 100%). If you can not play midi files in your DAW, record the sound of Joe's video with your DAW. Keep the backing in the middle, Joe's guitar with backing to the left and your guitar to the right. Like this you have a good guide to practice and fix the little timing issues.

What you can try as well is to add a bit more attack to the picking. I like the amount of attack you use, but just for practicing reason hit a bit harder to feel the beat.

Picking:
If you feel comfortable with the left hand and you don't have to think about it anymore which notes to fret, try to play with the pick a bit, ... more angled or completely parallel to the strings, more attack, lesser attack. Concentrate on how the sound is changing. You can learn a lot about your right hand with that and maybe you will find the right spot which fits even better for this lesson/technic.

Video:
Would you mind to upload a small video as well? But don't force your hand too much if it's still painfull ... take your time! A video would allow me to give some comments about your picking and muting technic.

Really well done so far!! With this lesson you have good workout exercise for your right hand available now. Keep working on it and play it regular and you will see some overall improvements with your picking.

Good to see you back OC smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 2 2009, 05:25 PM
I can get a video done for sure at sometime. I just felt lazy today lol in setting it all up with my hand really hurting. I certainly struggle with this lesson but I don't know why. I left hand certainly isn't the problem. It is my right hand and my ability to pick quickly and accurately that I struggle with. My timing does tend to swim a bit and it is tricky for me to hear the backing at times and I don't do it with a metronome on so this can definitely be improved on for sure. I can try and get the midi from the tab into the DAW but I have never done it before. I'm sure it's easy enough and you're right I'm sure this will help with timing.

I actually thought for the first time I have ever recorded two guitars playing the same thing I was quite happy with my synchronising. There was only a few sections that were a bit suspect and it didn't just make it a mess of notes smile.gif

Also within dynamics I think you nailed my problem. I accentuate every note with different muting depending on string but for the opens on the E string it always sounds less than others and usually the notes blend in with the backing. I think I might mute them a bit too much.

Thanks for your feedback man. I will try and get a video done over next day and it will be with it recorded again. Practicing it over and over to record it means that I can play it a lot better already and when my hand heals hopefully I can nail it smile.gif.

Thanks for the feedback mate. You definitely are weeding out my weakpoints for sure smile.gif Which is how to improve as a guitarist.

EDIT:- And you said to say when I'm ready for more theory and I've looked over it and I'm ready for more theory smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 2 2009, 05:25 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 2 2009, 05:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 2 2009, 05:25 PM) *
I can get a video done for sure at sometime. I just felt lazy today lol in setting it all up with my hand really hurting. I certainly struggle with this lesson but I don't know why. I left hand certainly isn't the problem. It is my right hand and my ability to pick quickly and accurately that I struggle with. My timing does tend to swim a bit and it is tricky for me to hear the backing at times and I don't do it with a metronome on so this can definitely be improved on for sure. I can try and get the midi from the tab into the DAW but I have never done it before. I'm sure it's easy enough and you're right I'm sure this will help with timing.

Yes, left hand is quite easy. Muting over four strings and picking is challenging of course. I struggle with this as well, so we are quite on the same level on this. If you need help to import the midi file let me know.

I actually thought for the first time I have ever recorded two guitars playing the same thing I was quite happy with my synchronising. There was only a few sections that were a bit suspect and it didn't just make it a mess of notes smile.gif

True, there are just a few sections where the notes are shaking left and right and thats because of the little timing issues. It's a good and fun technic to double some tracks sometimes. Anyway, record yourself as much as you can .. you will only hear those things when you listen to yourself afterwards.

Also within dynamics I think you nailed my problem. I accentuate every note with different muting depending on string but for the opens on the E string it always sounds less than others and usually the notes blend in with the backing. I think I might mute them a bit too much.

You could follow different goals. Another song with similar technic you might want to have each pick equal to each other. Try to apply this as well. Or mute the E string a bit more or lesser. Everything will create a different sound. If you accentuate the E note a bit more, it will add something heavy to the guitar track, but you have to mute well so that the low empty String does not sound "flabby" (another word i don't know smile.gif)

EDIT:- And you said to say when I'm ready for more theory and I've looked over it and I'm ready for more theory smile.gif

Ok, i will prepare a few questions and then we continue .. will be a bit later tonight tho as work is stressing me a bit right now.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 5 2009, 12:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Theory: Part #2

Previously i explained you how these scale formulas are build

Major Scale (Ionian) : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Natural Minor Scale (Aeolian) 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Read back if something is not clear on this as it will be important to completely understand this before we continue.

Task:
You have here the 7 scales starting with each note of the C-major scale(ionian) as root note:

C - C D E F G A B (done)
D - D E F G A B C
E - E F G A B C D
F - F G A B C D E
G - G A B C D E F
A - A B C D E F G (done)
B - B C D E F G A

I want you to analyze the intervals between the root note to all other notes of each scale and build the formulas on that. Like we did for the 6.degree, A natural minor scale (aeolian)

Hint: You already have the notes, so no notes have to be adjusted. Just count the intervals and build the formulas. Not the binary+1 code .. 2212221 .. the formulas based to the root note wink.gif!!

In post #74 i gave you a list (HT->Intervals), which is not complete! It will be useful for you in future to take the logic of this list and add the missing entries.

Why we do this:
You may notice that we enter somehow into modes, but i would like that you understand the differences of each mode/scale by seeing the adjustments of one or more intervals. These adjustments give the mode it's character. Thats the reason why we go step by step and i give you these tasks to build formulas on your own instead to just apply learned formulas. The same logic can be applied on every other scale type .. even pentatonic scales.

Let me know if something is not clear. Have fun .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 12 2009, 09:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi OC,

As discussed via PM we will continue from time to time with what we have started here. We both have some time issues, so it will be with no pressure on an irregular basis. But it would be a real pleasure for me if i can be of any further help for you.

I have created a category and post for you in my Agenda. I guess you will be somehow "dispatched" laugh.gif within the MTP, so take it as an additional space for you.

Find your way ... HERE smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 12 2009, 11:23 AM
Cheers for setting that up Andy. I've not managed to do any guitar at all lately. Last night I picked up my guitar for the first time in 2 weeks and I played one chord and the D string snapped biggrin.gif

Now 2 of my guitars are out of action. I need to spend a bit of money to look after them but with not caring much for things at the minute I haven't bothered sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 12 2009, 11:40 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok, as we guitar player are supposed to be good in improvisation, we move from "string snapping" to "string skipping" ... i'll give you an exercise for that laugh.gif

No problem OC, take your time. Give me some suggestions how i can motivate you HERE. I'm sure you need just 30min of fun moments with your guitar and you are back on track with regular practicing.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 12 2009, 11:43 AM
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 12 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Ok, as we guitar player are supposed to be good in improvisation, we move from "string snapping" to "string skipping" ... i'll give you an exercise for that laugh.gif

No problem OC, take your time. Give me some suggestions how i can motivate you HERE. I'm sure you need just 30min of fun moments with your guitar and you are back on track with regular practicing.

I just play You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest usually and somehow that always brings a smile to my face. smile.gif I still have 2 guitars with 6 strings lol laugh.gif Got band practice tonight for first time in 2 weeks and that should be alright. I'm happy currently as we have arranged another originals gig and it has been a while. sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 12 2009, 11:52 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 12 2009, 11:43 AM) *
I just play You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest usually and somehow that always brings a smile to my face. smile.gif I still have 2 guitars with 6 strings lol laugh.gif Got band practice tonight for first time in 2 weeks and that should be alright. I'm happy currently as we have arranged another originals gig and it has been a while. sad.gif

Just watched this video HERE ... and it puts a smile on my face as well laugh.gif

Great news for the gig, get some pictures or recordings done by someone .. would love to see this.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 12 2009, 12:03 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 12 2009, 10:52 AM) *
Just watched this video HERE ... and it puts a smile on my face as well laugh.gif

Great news for the gig, get some pictures or recordings done by someone .. would love to see this.

I'll try as we're playing some new song I think. Well if we get it done in time smile.gif

I love Judas Priest and I'm seeing them tomorrow with Megadeth and Testament so that should be pretty cool smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:55 PM