8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Enlo22 - The Mighty Mixer Meister, mixing workshop
enlo22
May 13 2014, 06:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 8 2014, 05:28 PM) *
Thank You Marco! Trust me - even with a lot of mixing knowledge it's still never ending story to get the sound You want...and always time taking smile.gif Thank You for appreciating a lot of effort I put into composition and mixing

As for Your mixing it's getting better but we still have to a lot of work to make it more organic. Drums are still to dry. We have to keep focusing on details and do it slowly because it's hard to make those tweaks in the "Remote mode" ...more time taking smile.gif

Let's make a few very very tiny tweaks to see what happens with the mix.

1. I thnk overhead track is covering the guitars to much. Try to set the HPF higher - leave just the "hash" of cymbals. Remember - it's not about making each instrument sound good alone, but to make everything work together. I think there is still to much midrange in the cymbals. Tell me one thing...are You using only ONE STEREO TRACK for both - over and room or You also use tracks of each cymbal ?

2. Add 2 or 3 dB to bass guitar volume

3. Add a cut around 1 kHz - 4 to 5 dBs on snare track

4. Add more reverb on snare

You main problem in the mix is that drums still have too much middle. We have to scoop them out a lot and find them "a new place" in the very treble end

hey man! no problem, I always watch your new videos and it sounds so good lol i'm jealous but in a good way of couse smile.gif !
so, my I gave my friend the project to mess around with it a bit. He's really good at mixing electronic music, but i'm not sure it fit with the metal sound I was going for :/ it saved over my Project file sad.gif I tried to get it a bit back to what I had before but i'm bummed cause now i'm lost again! hopefully you can help me lol!

also, I miked the cab for this recording so maybe I might of not gotten such good tone from scratch? any recommendation on miking an amp for metal? i've watched videos etc, but I can't seem to get a tone I want, It's either too Boomy and roomy or too much treble. I read it's better to have a bit more treble and then you can cut it, vs too much boom and it gets muddy?

hope you can help! lol

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by enlo22: May 13 2014, 06:13 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Darius_.mp3 ( 1.06MB ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 14 2014, 03:01 PM
Instructor
I'll try to help smile.gif I have a question before we start. Is there a chance You could upload the files to some kind of player like soundcloud and post "ready to play" stuff? Would be much easier for me smile.gif

We can start from the scratch, making a basis tone of each instrument, track by track, Would be most reasonable

As for the guitars remember - what You hear is NOT what You get. We need to adjust the amp for what microphone will like. Usually the tone would be very thin and even harsh but this will work great if the mic is off center (I usually prefer to set it on the cone). It's important to make huge cut of bass on amp. In my case default Eq settings on the amp is best start. When the mic is close to the cab the bass boost is colosal. You can try to fix it by increasing the distance. For me 3 to 7 cm distance works best depending on mic type.

The process is simple. default eq, Mic off center (You can borrow mic position from my latest videos). Record a sample in double tracking (if You are not able to sort of predict how single guitar will sound after double tracking - always more fat than the tone we make on single guitar track). Listen to the sample. If too much boomy, roll off some bass and again record short sample. Focus on one thing at the time. When You consider bass being ok,. start with the treble

Don't take away too much treble - metal likes treble. Even if You think that single guitar tone is harsh, if might work well in the mix. It's the mid range that is usually scooped out, not the treble.

Note:

We move the mic out of cap/coil because guitar mics boost high frequencies. They are not neutral. Moving them off center brings us closer to the tone we need but...often still nothing to do with the tone we would set up at live peformance

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 26 2014, 01:23 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 14 2014, 02:01 PM) *
I'll try to help smile.gif I have a question before we start. Is there a chance You could upload the files to some kind of player like soundcloud and post "ready to play" stuff? Would be much easier for me smile.gif

We can start from the scratch, making a basis tone of each instrument, track by track, Would be most reasonable

As for the guitars remember - what You hear is NOT what You get. We need to adjust the amp for what microphone will like. Usually the tone would be very thin and even harsh but this will work great if the mic is off center (I usually prefer to set it on the cone). It's important to make huge cut of bass on amp. In my case default Eq settings on the amp is best start. When the mic is close to the cab the bass boost is colosal. You can try to fix it by increasing the distance. For me 3 to 7 cm distance works best depending on mic type.

The process is simple. default eq, Mic off center (You can borrow mic position from my latest videos). Record a sample in double tracking (if You are not able to sort of predict how single guitar will sound after double tracking - always more fat than the tone we make on single guitar track). Listen to the sample. If too much boomy, roll off some bass and again record short sample. Focus on one thing at the time. When You consider bass being ok,. start with the treble

Don't take away too much treble - metal likes treble. Even if You think that single guitar tone is harsh, if might work well in the mix. It's the mid range that is usually scooped out, not the treble.

Note:

We move the mic out of cap/coil because guitar mics boost high frequencies. They are not neutral. Moving them off center brings us closer to the tone we need but...often still nothing to do with the tone we would set up at live peformance

here's a new mix I made, I re recorded guitar tracks too!

https://soundcloud.com/marcoescalante/world...ay-instrumental

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 26 2014, 05:20 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
[quote name='enlo22' date='May 26 2014, 12:23 AM' post='686830']
here's a new mix I made, I re recorded guitar tracks too!

https://soundcloud.com/marcoescalante/world...-instrumental-1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 26 2014, 09:53 PM
Instructor
Your mixes become better - I mean...now it's place for all the instruments and low end is more even - better bass drum and bass match

I think that for that kind of playing You could add some more guitars volume - just a few dB's will make a difference. Probably same with the snare

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jul 6 2014, 07:48 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
hey darius, I got a mesa rectifier 4 12 with Celestion G12T75 in it! the guy i bought it from said to set my head at 16 ohms cause that's how he di the wiring for the cab. I want to record with it, i think it'll give me some new tones to work with instead of my old crappy Raven cab lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2014, 12:06 PM
Instructor
That's a great news! It's worth going through all the toturials on miking the cab on YouTube. There is no one and only method. It's easy to mess up the tone even if You have great gear. It something absolutely different than working with impulses or Axe/Kemper things smile.gif It's really worth knowin how Your amp sounds thorugh the microphone and what kind of position it likes smile.gif

+Quote Post
enlo22
Aug 16 2014, 01:17 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 15 2014, 11:06 AM) *
That's a great news! It's worth going through all the toturials on miking the cab on YouTube. There is no one and only method. It's easy to mess up the tone even if You have great gear. It something absolutely different than working with impulses or Axe/Kemper things smile.gif It's really worth knowin how Your amp sounds thorugh the microphone and what kind of position it likes smile.gif

hey man, i've been trying to mix this down and it's giving me problems lol Idk something about the bass doesn't sound right to me, if you could take a listen and give me some advice I'd really appreciate it

Attached File(s)
Attached File  darius_test.wav ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 122

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:46 AM