5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Hone Your Tone - Gmc Workshop!, Let's work together towards your dream sound!
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2015, 10:58 PM
GMC Founder
Great Phil, I don't think speaker distortion is a desirable thing, so that is probably not it.

Check 00:15 here ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Rock-Solo-Beginner/ ) - it should be a pretty good indication of how much distortion/overdrive he is using. In other words, the tone you dial in should only produce audible distortion when you play two notes at the same time like Steph did at 00:15.

ME-80 looks like it should definitely be able to get you in the ballpark, I would start with these pedals:
Attached Image

...In combination with the "clean", "tweed" or "crunch" amps:
Attached Image

I am just basing this advice upon the the names of the amp/pedals, I haven't actually tried the ME-80.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 26 2015, 11:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Kris.,
I'll check it out tomorrow evening wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 29 2015, 10:52 PM
Hello Kris,
Haven't had chance to look at this yet BUT speaker distortion was big in the 60's with the Rolling Stones actually slicing the speaker cones with razor blades wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 30 2015, 11:54 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 29 2015, 11:52 PM) *
Hello Kris,
Haven't had chance to look at this yet BUT speaker distortion was big in the 60's with the Rolling Stones actually slicing the speaker cones with razor blades wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

hehe ok cool, I had no idea!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 30 2015, 07:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Kris!

So I've been tinkering with this lesson and my ability to craft a decent rhythm tone has always been lacking:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Anvil-Style/

This is the rough tone that I've been working on (don't mind the sloppy playing tongue.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/anvil-tone-test

I think a big factor is my lack of studio monitors - what it sounds like through my good pair of studio headphones it sounds like completely different when playing though computer speakers. dry.gif

My setup for the recording was like this:

Epiphone SG Pro -> Avid Eleven Rack -> REAPER -> Studio Headphones

The settings on my Eleven Rack:

Chain: Guitar -> Tube Screamer (11 Racks version) -> SL100 -> Blue Line cab (Condensor 414 mic on axis) -> Very small reverb -> Out

Attached Image

What are some things I can do to improve the sound?

Thanks cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 1 2015, 08:22 PM
GMC Founder
@Chris S

I think this rhythm sample sounds awesome!!

I think you should be able to make this work well in a mix. Bare in mind though I am personally working on understanding the mechanisms of a metal mix - and I am still learning (so I might not be the right person to critique).

If you can try this sound in a mix, I will be able to give you better advice though.

As always the more bass you have on the rhythm guitars the less prominent bass guitar will be. On some heavy recordings it's impossible to hear bass guitar - but that's not necessarily a bad thing (not sure Bole will agree though wink.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 3 2015, 12:07 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks for all the input here, I hope someone got wiser..!

I will leave this thread open in case anybody needs more feedback.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 3 2015, 01:15 PM
GMC:er
I tried to figure out an easy way to mix lead guitar to a backing as usually its too "upfront" compared to the mix. This is meant to be used after you balance the output as close as possible.

To fake depth, 6db high and low cuts can be used. If the eq you use doesn't support this, this is a nice and easy to use option;

http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_cleansweep_v2

6db cuts are the most gentle, use it right after the cab. and before reverb etc. if you use any. Start with the highs, then if there's rumble then lows. You might want to fine-tune the volume again after this eq'ing.

Another problem is pinch harmonics or (if the guitar is bright) strong picking can produce desirable but strong high freq. sounds that jump and mask the backing track in that moment.

This is where a deesser (de-esser) helps most. Can't give details as best setting depends on tone but from the default state of any plug-in you use, start lowering the threshold till it starts to slightly balance the highs (play high notes, pinch harmonics that you use on your solo when adjusting this). Then fine tune the selected freq. range if needed.

Important thing is to listen to match the mix, don't do it for the tone as the added fatness might confuse. Taking out just 2-3db of those jumping notes should be enough to have a balanced guitar track. Hope it helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 4 2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks Kris,

This definitely helped with the basics, it would be to see it grow into an encyclopaedia of tone but that we all have to join in. Maybe a new backing would encourage more participation.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:30 PM