3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Steve Vai, The biggest poser ever?
Jesse
Apr 25 2009, 03:36 PM
GMC:er
He's got skill, but what the heck is he thinking? You can't tell me that 100 % of his "moves" here are sincere and genuine. I'll point out the worst parts. His arrogance spoils the music a bit:D

During the video youll be seeing him trow/wipe his hair back about 10 times.
Even my mom thinks he's lame:D
2:04

2:49

This is often referred to as guitarphelia: 3:30

3:33 is bad too:(

What are your views on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Apr 26 2009, 05:52 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Apr 25 2009, 03:40 PM
No, Vai is on a whole nother level of creativity than satch. And no hes not arrogant. or at least not in person.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 25 2009, 03:42 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Apr 25 2009, 04:40 PM) *
No, Vai is on a whole nother level of creativity than satch. And no hes not arrogant. or at least not in person.

Didnt answer my question? What do you think about his posing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 25 2009, 03:46 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 25 2009, 05:36 PM) *
He's got skill, but what the heck is he thinking? You can't tell me that 100 % of his "moves" here are sincere and genuine. I'll point out the worst parts. His arrogance spoils the music a bit:D

During the video youll be seeing him trow/wipe his hair back about 10 times.
Even my mom thinks he's lame:D
2:04

2:49

This is often referred to as guitarphelia: 3:30

3:33 is bad too:(

What are your views on this?

Satriani could school him anyday!

I didn`t know your mom is a guitar Godess laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well about posing actually... yes.. i think the same, not that harsh like you, but sometimes he`s faces and moves freak me out and spoils his music a bit. You should see his Bad Horsie video biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Satriani actually make weird faces too, but no moves hopefully.

But anyways on that level where Steve is, he can do WHATEVER he want and how he wants smile.gif And he give a crap if someone is not satisfied laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 25 2009, 03:47 PM
Ive seen that, its horrible! biggrin.gif

I dont care if he doesnt care.... just, I think it's a bit lame.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SensE
Apr 25 2009, 03:52 PM
Im not a fans of Steve Vai at all. I don't like the style of his playing, just my opinion. But, I must say he plays this song beautifully. I like the part especially from 2.00 to 3.57 mins.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 25 2009, 03:55 PM
Will you PLEASE Stay on topic?

I didnt say I didnt like how he played, but ABOUT HIS POSING!

Can we please stick to the main thing,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 25 2009, 04:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I used to think like you, and hated Vai for his posing, but I realised that if you put that much feeling into your playing, it does come out of your guitar. I do think he is posing partly to make a good show, but it does help him sound expressive in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 25 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't hate him. Come on, if he needs that to sound expressive... that's as lame as saying, I need drugs to think creatively. I mean, SRV didn;'t act like that did he?

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 25 2009, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Say what you want about Vai and his "posing" but the man is musical genious and his playing is awesome. I would rather listen to Satch's music but when I saw G3 with Vai, Satch and Malmsteen.....Vai was by far the most fun to watch. Vai is a master showman as well as a guitar virtuoso. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 25 2009, 04:11 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 25 2009, 04:08 PM) *
I don't hate him. Come on, if he needs that to sound expressive... that's as lame as saying, I need drugs to think creatively. I mean, SRV didn;'t act like that did he?

Well no, but he does play with some attitude. I do think Vai does these things partly to make a good show, but it does make your playing come more alive IMO.

+Quote Post
SensE
Apr 25 2009, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (SensE @ Apr 25 2009, 08:52 AM) *
Im not a fans of Steve Vai at all. I don't like the style of his playing, just my opinion. But, I must say he plays this song beautifully. I like the part especially from 2.00 to 3.57 mins.

I'm sorry. The "style", I actually refer to his posing.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 25 2009, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Apr 25 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Well no, but he does play with some attitude. I do think Vai does these things partly to make a good show, but it does make your playing come more alive IMO.

I agree when your put more feelings into your playing it comes naturally (OMG!) but i think you must control those facial expressions a bit.. Playing in front of a mirror could be great biggrin.gif Then you could have an idea about how that`s looking laugh.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 25 2009, 04:16 PM
Instructor
I agree with you that he is a poser, but he doesn't bother me at all.
I just have a huge weakness for Steve.
He is so entertaining to watch and hear!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
bsamn
Apr 25 2009, 04:30 PM
I get what your tryin to say man. But here is my take on it, (first the facial expression)

I remember a time when i used to hate anyone who use to make a face while playing (now hate may be to strong, lets say i used to make fun of 'em whther it be a well known rockstar or a friend) but as i started to play more and more, i realized that keep ur face still, donsn't only make u look robotic but also plain stupid. i mean when u see i guy trully playing guitar, they will all make faces no matter.

As far as posing goes, i say kudos to him. Guitar is a completely badass instrument and has alot of sex appeal imo. And no matter what anyone says, everyone wants to look cool, and steve vai does it in his own way. I personally love SRV and he himself moves and has that look on his face with a cigarette or cigar (the smoking while playing has to one of the most ridicualoous things i have seen i mean it looked cool once, now its just overdone) and couldn't care less about the rest of world, which in a way really gets u in the music. Thats his was of expressing his attitude.

This whole genre, whther u call it hard rock or heavy metal (anything mostly guitar related) is very visual, and people playing this music have to express it physically to stimulate the crowd.

I remember watching a Funtwo video, where that dude just stood still and played, man that was boring. I mean it just did not have that extra 'oomph'.

This whole thing has alot to do with attitude and attracting the opposite sex as well.

I hope this was cool, i just stated what i think is right imo.

Rock Hard buddy! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 25 2009, 04:35 PM
I almost forgot! If Steve is not so bothering but his bassist.. Billy Sheehan is HORRIBLE!! Just watch Steve Vai`s part on G3 Tokyo.. blink.gif blink.gif That really is bothering me huh.gif

to Bsamn:Oh, and i still think that SRV with his hat and cigar looked badass. That`s his trademark in looks smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 25 2009, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post
SensE
Apr 25 2009, 04:39 PM
I've seen a youtube video of Steve Vai. I don't remember what song it is. In one part of the song, he had 4 guys at his back, Steve did a "falling" move and the other 4 guys pushing him up, back and forth. Some of you may found it entertaining, for me , I think it's just radiculous.

+Quote Post
bsamn
Apr 25 2009, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 25 2009, 04:35 PM) *
I almost forgot! If Steve is not so bothering but his bassist.. Billy Sheehan is HORRIBLE!! Just watch Steve Vai`s part on G3 Tokyo.. blink.gif blink.gif That really is bothering me huh.gif

to Bsamn:Oh, and i still think that SRV with his hat and cigar looked badass. That`s his trademark in looks smile.gif

I know SRV is kool no matter what tongue.gif ,

another thing i would like to add,
IMO - No matter how kool you look, you may have the coolest looking guitar, have awesome leather pants etc etc. you will look pathetic if you can't play guitar, on the other hand, you may look like a complete dumbass, and still be able to make the guitar talk, well people will love you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 25 2009, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (bsamn @ Apr 25 2009, 06:53 PM) *
You may look like a complete dumbass, and still be able to make the guitar talk, well people will love you.

How true.

+Quote Post
bsamn
Apr 25 2009, 05:06 PM
Yup!

I think image is the cherry on top, and big cherry, but thats it, and steve vai really kicks ass biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:25 AM