3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Need Help To Choose Between Amps!, VOX or Marshall
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 07:37 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hi guys smile.gif

Basically I can't decide what amp to go for, as I'm gonna buy a new amp in the near future..

What I've come down to are these two:

VOX Classic Plus Combo

Read more about it HERE!

and..

Marshall Modern Vintage Combo

Read more about it HERE!

I'm kind of leaning towards the VOX (I just got a thing for the Vox sound..), but I'd like your input on what amp to choose smile.gif So what amp would YOU go for and WHY? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Jun 18 2008, 07:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 18 2008, 08:03 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Great choices there Paal. This could be a toss up. Being a Marshall owner, i'm kinda partial tongue.gif

Vox: 4 X 12A7's and 2 X EL34's. weighs 35lbs with footswitch.
Marshall: 4 X ECC83's and 2 X KT66's weighs 30 lbs with footswitch. I really like the mid-boost.

guess it comes down to what you are looking for in tone. I would think both amps could serve a wide range of styles. Cost would be a factor for me as well. At 800.00 for the Vox and 1800.00 for the Marshall, there's got to be some big differences here. I would try and play both befor making the decision.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 08:13 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jun 18 2008, 09:03 PM) *
Great choices there Paal. This could be a toss up. Being a Marshall owner, i'm kinda partial tongue.gif

Vox: 4 X 12A7's and 2 X EL34's. weighs 35lbs with footswitch.
Marshall: 4 X ECC83's and 2 X KT66's weighs 30 lbs with footswitch. I really like the mid-boost.

guess it comes down to what you are looking for in tone. I would think both amps could serve a wide range of styles. Cost would be a factor for me as well. At 800.00 for the Vox and 1800.00 for the Marshall, there's got to be some big differences here. I would try and play both befor making the decision.

Hmm.. In Norway they cost approximately the same..
There's a 1000$ in difference where you live? Wow.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 18 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
Finally narrowed your search down to just 2? smile.gif

I'm a sucker for Marshall, but after listening through audiosamples then i'm leaning towards the Vox myself.
The Marshall seems a bit.. limited

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 18 2008, 08:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 18 2008, 09:13 PM) *
Hmm.. In Norway they cost approximately the same..
There's a 1000$ in difference where you live? Wow.. smile.gif

Ehm... just guessing but Marshall is made in the UK while Vox now is made in China so it's possible the profit for the dealer is larger for the Vox in Norway and Sweden for that matter.

Between the two I don't think I'd choose either... laugh.gif
A fair match for me would be H&K Switchblade 50 combo and the JVM2xx combo. And while browsing amps in that price range I'd take a serious look at Mesa Boogie 5:50 combo.

Possibly the Mesa for me then, only since I already got a H&K Switchblade laugh.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 18 2008, 09:36 PM) *
Ehm... just guessing but Marshall is made in the UK while Vox now is made in China so it's possible the profit for the dealer is larger for the Vox in Norway and Sweden for that matter.

Between the two I don't think I'd choose either... laugh.gif
A fair match for me would be H&K Switchblade 50 combo and the JVM2xx combo. And while browsing amps in that price range I'd take a serious look at Mesa Boogie 5:50 combo.

Possibly the Mesa for me then, only since I already got a H&K Switchblade laugh.gif

Yeah, I've looked at the Mesa, but I think I'd rather want one of the others wink.gif
Oh, you got the H&K? I've looked at that too, is it good? smile.gif

edit: I'm going to try some amps tomorrow or saturday, so maybe I'll completely change my mind then, who knows? smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Jun 18 2008, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2008, 08:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well really its down to the sounds you prefer , and what you intend on playing! I had the Vox AC15 custom classic, which was made in china, and for the money i paid i was very disapointed, it was rubbish ! sad.gif

The Marshall would be awsome I think, its certainly what I would go for as I like high gain sounds smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jun 18 2008, 08:50 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 08:52 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 18 2008, 09:49 PM) *
Well really its down to the sounds you prefer , and what you intend on playing! I had the Vox AC15 custom classic, which was made in china, and for the money i paid i was very disapointed, it was rubbish ! sad.gif

The Marshall would be awsome I think, its certainly what I would go for as I like high gain sounds smile.gif

I've got a cheaper VOX now that I'm very happy with, great sounds smile.gif
I like the clean and crunch sounds in Vox amps, best I've heard actually..
But for Hi-gain sounds I probably need some effects, but I got the GT-10 so it shouldn't really be a problem smile.gif

What's wrong with your Vox?

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2008, 08:59 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well the first one I had literally blew up after a week !! laugh.gif laugh.gif It had to be replaced, the second one was ok, but it didnt sound as I had hoped smile.gif The build quality was quite poor, and it just didnt have the vibe i was after.

I sold it in the end and put the money towards my new guitar smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 18 2008, 09:00 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Vox
Marshall

Check out the differences in price over here in the US. blink.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jun 18 2008, 10:00 PM) *
Vox
Marshall

Check out the differences in price over here in the US. blink.gif

Yikes blink.gif

God I wish it was like that in Norway..

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 09:54 PM
I might have to reconsider..

I read some stellar reviews on the VOX classic plus head, but the combo get BAD review..
Go figure..

So the head then maybe and a 2*12 cab..

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2008, 10:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 18 2008, 09:54 PM) *
I might have to reconsider..

I read some stellar reviews on the VOX classic plus head, but the combo get BAD review..
Go figure..

So the head then maybe and a 2*12 cab..

Yeah its worth taking your time choosing smile.gif I hope you get the amp for you wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 18 2008, 11:05 PM) *
Yeah its worth taking your time choosing smile.gif I hope you get the amp for you wink.gif

I know.. I just get so carried away sometimes laugh.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2008, 10:22 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 18 2008, 10:11 PM) *
I know.. I just get so carried away sometimes laugh.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif

No probs, I just want you to get the right one the first time wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 18 2008, 11:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 18 2008, 09:43 PM) *
Yeah, I've looked at the Mesa, but I think I'd rather want one of the others wink.gif
Oh, you got the H&K? I've looked at that too, is it good? smile.gif

edit: I'm going to try some amps tomorrow or saturday, so maybe I'll completely change my mind then, who knows? smile.gif

It's marvelous! I've got the 100W head, if the 50W had been out at that time I would have got a 50W instead. My band we play LOUD at rehearsal and I keep the volume between 2-3 ohmy.gif

I like the huge variety in sounds I can get from it. Very clear and full clean, EL34 kind of clean but not thin. Real brit crunch up to 80's hard rock on the crunch channel. I can go really vintage Marshall in the sound picture which is nice.
The Lead channel is totally wild, british metal lead up to way too much gain really. The final channel is a bit scooped in it's character so it's more american sounding. Good "Petrucci"-capability in sound up to more gain than I'll ever need.

The delay is great! The other built in effects are ok too but I rarely use them. The reverb is good too.

When I got my POD rescently I hated 95% of the presets. They were just for show and in reality rather useless. The Switchblade came with really useful presets, it's difficult to make up new ones since the ones already there are so good.

It takes both humbuckers and singlecoils really well and the same setting on channel will act very different if you play with singlecoils or humbuckers. What I mean is that if I play just any amp with humbuckers I can hear it's more output and a bit weaker with single coils but the character of the amp is still a foundation of the sound. The Switchblade, imo, transfers the character of the pickups and guitar through the amp. So what guitar you play will make a huge difference.

The only thing I miss is a built in noisegate. I have to add a pedal before this head because on the two high gain channels it will squeal. But for the rest part I'm very happy. In my little world I get close enough Fender, very good Marshall sound. Mind that this is with the volume at 2-3, my old JCM had to be turned to 10 to make a Marshall sound. A 50w with the volume at 5-6 must in my mind sound oh so sweet. And there's a heck of a progressive metal sound to it on the american gain channel.

$1799 vs $799 is a turn off on Vox's account for me, but I'm not the one shopping. But sounds to me something is fishy right there.

I think you're doing the right thing aiming for 50W. Anymore is just difficult to use.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 11:49 PM
Instructor
Hmmm, tough choice mate smile.gif

Vox > It's a nice lil' amp with a character. I wouldn't carry it around too much tho, since they can be fragile in comparison to Marshall.

Marshall > vintage modern is cool but Marshall is all about size and vintage sound to me. this sort of modern/1 speaker combination doesn't really hold the water when it comes to original Marshall Tone. THe only stuff that are worthy calling themselves Marshalls are JTMs , JMPs and JCM800's. I guess I'm a little bit of a purist... smile.gif

Conclusion: buy the VOX biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
inertia
Jun 19 2008, 03:02 AM
GMC:er
They both look like awesome amps. If I was in your position my main consideration is how my main guitar(s) sound on the specific amp. I know gibsons always sound great with Marshals, and to be honest I don't know too much about Vox, but maybe if it's possible to play your main guitars on these amps to get an idea. Maybe one will sound great with both single coil and humbucker while the other does not as an example, there's a lot to consider...
I have a fender amp right now but also plan on buying either a marshal vintage modern or JCM combo after I buy a les paul standard in December, can't wait!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 20 2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the replies smile.gif

But now I'm back in the "I can't choose business" again, as I've seen a lot of other amps I want as well laugh.gif
Guess I'll try 'em all out if I can find them, and choose the one I like the most smile.gif

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jun 20 2008, 07:39 AM
GMC:er
I have played a Vox before and I hated it, I don't know the model name but this certain one I didn't like at all. I had a Marshall for a while that I liked, it was good and I have played others that seem to deliver. Id say Marshall but I'm not very gear-smart.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:32 PM