> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15  
Treydeschamp's Metalcore Training Program
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 18 2014, 06:30 PM) *
Hey man,

So the theory for the sweep picking is fairly straightforward but I'm getting a little confused on the theory for the inteval etude.

I get that it was written in the C Ionian mode (and all I really know is that it is an Ionian scale in C) but what exactly makes up the 3rds, 4ths and 5ths of the intervals that are in the tag line of the video?

Hehe! Good question Trey smile.gif

If you will notice, you always have groups of 2 notes that make up successions, right? Each two notes make up an interval smile.gif For instance, the first two notes C and G represent a fifth - G is C's fifth and then the next pair is also a fifth - D and A - A is D's fifth smile.gif Hope it's clear? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 24 2014, 01:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Getting to practicing now! Sorry I've been absent the last few days. It was a busy weekend!

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the alternate picking and I'm just going to be up front and honest, a week is not going to be enough time at this point in my playing for me to actually learn and play these two pieces right so it'll be a little while.

Thanks Cosmin!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2014, 08:24 AM
Instructor
Howdy Trey smile.gif

Don't worry mate, let's just see the takes and progress and we'll take it from there wink.gif Let me know when you are ready to ask questions or when you have learned the lesson and you have recording - the quality doesn't matter that much wink.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2014, 03:52 AM
Alrighty Cosmin,

I'm back again! So last time things didn't exactly pan out. School got pretty hectic when I got ready to start learning again. You know how things get when life is in the way.

Anyway,

I've decided to eliminate some of the distractions in my life from guitar (xbox mostly) and I'm ready to strictly focus on developing my playing.

Lately I've felt a strong desire to develop speed and stamina. I've also had a strong desire to work on string bending and control. I've always loved fast and tasteful playing some I'm trying to build towards that.

Let me know what you think bud,

I promise I don't plan on dipping out this time!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2014, 12:18 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I am always open for business tongue.gif All you have to do is ask and then work hard!

I think we can begin straight away with these two lessons, to get you in shape in the directions you asked about:

Speed and stamina:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamina-School/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamin...-2-Downpicking/

These may look simple, but they are good starting points to get you warmed up for the next things wink.gif

String bending and control - I don't remember quite well, but have you tried my Voice of your guitar lesson? If not, you can try both of them smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...-Your-Guitar-2/

I tell you what - do you think you can tackle these lessons in 2 weeks time? smile.gif I am throwing you a challenge here, in order to motivate you even more to get back in the game seriously!

Do we have a deal, sir? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2014, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a plan!

I think and can have some results sometime next week if not all at least for the Stamina lessons!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 17 2014, 07:27 AM
Instructor
Hey Trey smile.gif That sounds great! Also, make sure you analyze the lessons from all perspectives - theory and how it is applied wink.gif You don't want to learn these 'just by heart' but, you may surely want to make use of the concepts in your own playing, right?

Please take a look and let me know what questions you might have - regardless of their nature smile.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 04:12 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 17 2014, 01:27 AM) *
Hey Trey smile.gif That sounds great! Also, make sure you analyze the lessons from all perspectives - theory and how it is applied wink.gif You don't want to learn these 'just by heart' but, you may surely want to make use of the concepts in your own playing, right?

Please take a look and let me know what questions you might have - regardless of their nature smile.gif

Will do. So far the lessons from Ben are very basic, not too much theory there but I haven't actually gotten to look at the theory from your lessons. I'll probably get to that tomorrow if that is okay?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 07:35 PM
I'd like to add also Cosmin,

My ultimate goal is working toward being able to play in a shred/progressive manner. Not that I want that to be my style but I love that type of playing:
-quick
-sharp
-fluid

I think other than speed and bend technique I also need to focus on good legato technique and a MUCH stronger pinky but that all can come later. I just wanted you to know the direction that I want to head in.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2014, 08:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 17 2014, 03:12 PM) *
Will do. So far the lessons from Ben are very basic, not too much theory there but I haven't actually gotten to look at the theory from your lessons. I'll probably get to that tomorrow if that is okay?

It's great for me, man wink.gif No rush but no slouching either biggrin.gif I'd rather we communicate often so that I know you are in the game - so please, do ask questions wink.gif

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 17 2014, 06:35 PM) *
I'd like to add also Cosmin,

My ultimate goal is working toward being able to play in a shred/progressive manner. Not that I want that to be my style but I love that type of playing:
-quick
-sharp
-fluid

I think other than speed and bend technique I also need to focus on good legato technique and a MUCH stronger pinky but that all can come later. I just wanted you to know the direction that I want to head in.

I understand wink.gif We will also include legato in the drills and I think Ben's series - Land of Legato are just fitting for the task at hand, but all in due time, alright? Regarding the style, that's more of an approach and an all around spirit of playing rather than a style smile.gif For instance, Al Di Meola plays like that and he doesn't play prog/djent or any of that stuff wink.gif So let's keep the spirit and apply it to your style, deal?

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 18 2014, 05:16 PM
Sounds doable.

For the voice of your guitar lesson, can you explain how you chose the scales/modes that you did? I don't really understand the scale mode concept.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 19 2014, 03:23 AM
Question on "The Voice of Your Guitar"

So I have the first video nailed down. I think I'm playing it well and my vibrato seems to be really good. The problem comes when going to the second video (video 3). I just cant seem to understand what I'm doing.

Anyway you could make a video isolating this section to show me?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 18 2014, 04:16 PM) *
Sounds doable.

For the voice of your guitar lesson, can you explain how you chose the scales/modes that you did? I don't really understand the scale mode concept.

Hey bro smile.gif Let's take things one at a time:

You have two modes which are both derived from the E major scale:

E Ionian - E F# G# A B C# D# E
A Lydian - A B C# D# E F# G# A

The progressions I used are both derived by harmonizing the each mode:

Progression one - Aadd9 Badd11 G#m Aadd9 was obtained from the A lydian mode and it's a modal progression (you may notice that it starts off with a chord derived from the first step of the mode)

Progression two - Emaj Badd11 C#madd11 Aadd9 Badd11 was obtained in the same manner, but in respect to the E Ionian mode.

Now the question is - do you know what harmonizing means and how to apply the concept on any mode or scale? This is the basic starting point for understanding what I used and why smile.gif

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 19 2014, 02:23 AM) *
Question on "The Voice of Your Guitar"

So I have the first video nailed down. I think I'm playing it well and my vibrato seems to be really good. The problem comes when going to the second video (video 3). I just cant seem to understand what I'm doing.

Anyway you could make a video isolating this section to show me?

Trey, could you be a bit more specific about the problem so that I may know what exactly doesn't fall into place? Have you tried to play along with the slowed down version of the part?

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 19 2014, 11:33 PM
Could you explain harmonization to me? I basically think of it as just harmonizing scales together in synch with the backing notes.

And I"m talking about the shift from the bend at the end of the first video to the first bend at the end of the second video.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 20 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 19 2014, 10:33 PM) *
Could you explain harmonization to me? I basically think of it as just harmonizing scales together in synch with the backing notes.

And I"m talking about the shift from the bend at the end of the first video to the first bend at the end of the second video.

Hey bro smile.gif

Well, harmonizing means deriving vertical structures of 2 or more notes from each scale degree, by taking care that those notes will only be a part of the scale or more you are working with. Basically, you are creating chords from each step of the scale.

In order to understand the idea better, I will recommend this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/

It explains the whole concept AND biggrin.gif in order for you to prove that you understood wink.gif I want you to apply the harmonization on the E major scale - as in the recommended lesson it is done in the C major scale. Do we have a deal, young man?

About the bend - I assume it is because you don't see the passing from the first video to the second - you just have to hold the bend and release it when the part explained in the second video begins - like this:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 20 2014, 08:24 AM

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 20 2014, 04:17 PM
I sort of get it but I'm not sure that I really understand how to do it. tongue.gif I'm a newbie to all of this wizardry called music theory so it'll take me a while before I can actually apply. Right now I'll finish those first lessons you sent me and then I'll go back and try and understand the theory.

Currently I'm working by myself through the actually theory board and am slowly understanding it so maybe it'll help if we went through it together. We go through the lessons in order and then maybe we could work exercises within them before moving on to the next lesson?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 20 2014, 03:17 PM) *
I sort of get it but I'm not sure that I really understand how to do it. tongue.gif I'm a newbie to all of this wizardry called music theory so it'll take me a while before I can actually apply. Right now I'll finish those first lessons you sent me and then I'll go back and try and understand the theory.

Currently I'm working by myself through the actually theory board and am slowly understanding it so maybe it'll help if we went through it together. We go through the lessons in order and then maybe we could work exercises within them before moving on to the next lesson?

I think it's a good idea like to take the following steps:

- finish the current assignments
- start discussing theory together and in the same time, you could tackle the lesson about harmonizing that I have suggested. It's very very useful and it will surely put the theory to work in a nice incipient context. But tell me man, what have you read about theory so far, so that I may know where to take things from?

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 22 2014, 08:51 PM
Currently I'm in the Professors Theory Guide. I'm on learning to write scales in the quick start program.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 23 2014, 02:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I found my issue with learning the "Voice Of Your Guitar" Lesson.

At the beginning of the second video the tab says to bend the 8th fret of the B string but in the video you are bending the 7th fret from the way it looks to me. MAYBE (big maybe) there is a mistake in the tab.

Anyway, I'm loving the lesson so far man.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 22 2014, 07:51 PM) *
Currently I'm in the Professors Theory Guide. I'm on learning to write scales in the quick start program.

I got there wink.gif If we were to sum up a general rule for the major scales - we could state that you can't have 2 notes sharing the same name in a natural major scale and that pretty much sums it up, if you are to ask me. But foremost, have you understood how to form a natural major scale? That is a very important aspect of music theory and I would begin everything from that point, in order to get you into theory and into applying it in what you already know smile.gif This link here - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47641 explains things, so please read and let's play around with some exercises afterwards - deal?

Hehe biggrin.gif Matey, look at second 0:44 in video 3 - that's the one explaining the second part wink.gif You'll see clearly that I am bending the 8th fret on the B string. Say, are you using the slow videos to learn the tune? Because everything is played very slowly in there and with angles for each hand. I have a little suggestion for ya smile.gif

Rely on your ears and not on tabs - especially here, where you have the exact playing slowed down and exposed in different angles wink.gif It will not only train your ears but show you the mechanics of the hands. All you have to do is watch and listen smile.gif

Glad you like the lesson bro! It's a line I made up with my first serious band almost 10 years ago! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:04 AM