3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Metal: A Headbangers Journey, saw this last night
rokchik
Aug 27 2007, 12:26 AM
The Dark Canuck
Hello everyone. I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but figured this was as good a place as any.

Last night while waiting for the UFC ppv to start, (Oh how I love Randy Couture and GSP...sorry off track) I caught the documentary Metal: A Headbangers Journey on some movie channel on satellite. It's by Sam Dunn an anthropologist, and a life long fan of heavy metal.
The documentary was made in 2005 and I'm sure some have seen it, but if you haven't I'd recommend it. If your a big fan of metal you probably won't learn anything new, but I'm sure you'll still find it entertaining and interesting. But for a new fan of the genre or even someone who's just interested in finding out what all the growling is about tongue.gif it's worth a watch. Dunn does an excellent job I think of breaking down the different aspects of the genre and explains the history behind most of it. He shows the passion that the fans have for the music and how the genre has battled with the mainstream culture. (I personally love the footage of Dee Snider walking into a congressional meeting to talk against "the filthy fifiteen" list from the early eighties. All these politicians, including Gore, smirking as Snider walks in with the cut off jean vest, tight pants, make up and wild hair, figuring he can't put two words together and then he blows them away with a very eliquant, educated, and compelling speach. Classic Snider) Dunn looks at sensorship, religion, death and many other influences on the music and it's culture. He discusses these and many other issues with some of the the biggest names in metal...Iommi, Dickinson, Lemmy, Dio just to name a few.
Now I'm not a huge metal fan but I am getting there...slowly. This site has opened my eyes to a lot of new music...thanks Uncreator smile.gif and this documentary taught me a few things. It was entertaining and well very interesting to say the least....man do folks love their metal. \m/ But as open minded as I'm trying to be....those Norwegian Death Metal guys still kind of scare me. sad.gif

So if you get a chance, have a watch. It's worth the 2 hrs or so.....the Dickinson interview is pretty cool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Aug 27 2007, 01:12 AM
GMC:er
I found it really interesting when there trying to figure out the origin of metal. And then they interview Toni Iommi and right away says something like "When I first heard the term heavy metal I didn't have the faitness idea what they were talking about." So obviously he didn't create it if he had heard about it before. Kinda interesting imo

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 27 2007, 01:17 AM
Really good documentary.

Btw Rokchik, I just want to suggest Darkthrone if you want to try some black metal.
The newer Darkthrone is very easy to listen to, very catchy stuff.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tVKRs4kfqc - From their 13th album.
http://www.peaceville.com/darkthrone/foad/ This will be on their 14th album when it comes out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3z3kgmW1E - this is also from their 13th album.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YuGcjkiNOa4&...ted&search= - Also pretty new, dont remember exactly.

As you can hear, theres alot of punk in their two latest albums.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yixErHW_JqU - This is from their first album, the death metal days.

(These youtube links arent actual Darkthrone's videoes, except Too old Too Cold.

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 27 2007, 01:30 AM

+Quote Post
lefthandman
Aug 27 2007, 01:23 AM
sounds pretty cool could i rent from somewhere possibly or do i just have 2 get lucky and catch it on tv?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 27 2007, 01:25 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Cool Movie. Definetly worth watching.

The interview with Gaahl is worth it alone smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 27 2007, 01:44 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 26 2007, 09:12 PM) *
I found it really interesting when there trying to figure out the origin of metal. And then they interview Toni Iommi and right away says something like "When I first heard the term heavy metal I didn't have the faitness idea what they were talking about." So obviously he didn't create it if he had heard about it before. Kinda interesting imo

It is kind of interesting but Ozzy feels the same way. I watched the Ozzfest 10th anniversary DVD the other day with a friend, and Ozzy pretty much had the same opinion. When the term "heavy metal" was used to discribe Black Sabbath, Ozzy said he didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Note... Ozzy's response had a lot more cursing but that was basically the point. He also said he just plan dislikes the term heavy metal....heavy music yes but doesn't get the metal part of it. So yeah it is kind of interesting to see how the band that everyone sees as the metal gods, don't look at what they play as heavy metal, just heavy music. Maybe they are just being modest.

Btw Rokchik, I just want to suggest Darkthrone if you want to try some black metal.

Thanks Robin. I can't have a listen just yet as I am at work and can't get on youtube(they haven't blocked GMC yet though smile.gif )but I'll for sure check them out....you have yet to stear me wrong with your suggestions.

sounds pretty cool could i rent from somewhere possibly or do i just have 2 get lucky and catch it on tv?

I would assume so but can't say for sure.....check out your local blockbuster or other video store. I know it's available for purchase on Amazon.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 27 2007, 01:51 AM
I definetly say Black Sabbath started metal, there darker and heavier sound just influenced all the most known metal bands and the most unkown metal bands. i think it gace birth to the foundation of Metal.

Then there were bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden who came along a few years after Sabbath, fueling it with same thing, Darker songs (not to the point of sabbath) and heavier guitar fueld rythms.

And overtime, it just developed into the world wide commuinity i know and love and live in today smile.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 27 2007, 02:06 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 27 2007, 12:51 AM) *
I definetly say Black Sabbath started metal, there darker and heavier sound just influenced all the most known metal bands and the most unkown metal bands. i think it gace birth to the foundation of Metal.

Then there were bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden who came along a few years after Sabbath, fueling it with same thing, Darker songs (not to the point of sabbath) and heavier guitar fueld rythms.

And overtime, it just developed into the world wide commuinity i know and love and live in today smile.gif

Black Sabbath indeed. They were the very first Heavy Metal band, if I'm not mistaken.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 27 2007, 09:04 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Robin @ Aug 26 2007, 09:17 PM) *
Really good documentary.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tVKRs4kfqc - From their 13th album.
http://www.peaceville.com/darkthrone/foad/ This will be on their 14th album when it comes out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3z3kgmW1E - this is also from their 13th album.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YuGcjkiNOa4&...ted&search= - Also pretty new, dont remember exactly.

As you can hear, theres alot of punk in their two latest albums.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yixErHW_JqU - This is from their first album, the death metal days.
(These youtube links arent actual Darkthrone's videoes, except Too old Too Cold.

Well Robin I checked these guys out.

I loved the music. The guitars, drums, melody of the songs, but I just can't get past the vocals sorry. I'm still adjusting to that type of singing and it's a slow process. My metal tastes fall somewhere between the early stuff like Sabbath and Zeppelin, NWOBM, and 80's glam rock to 90's Grunge/alternative, Nu-metal and some industrial like Marilyn Manson, NIN, Rob Zombie.( I really love Rob Zombie) I don't think I'm ready for Black or Death metal....yet anyways. But thanks again for the suggestion.

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 27 2007, 09:21 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 27 2007, 08:04 AM) *

I loved the music. The guitars, drums, melody of the songs, but I just can't get past the vocals sorry. I'm still adjusting to that type of singing and it's a slow process. My metal tastes fall somewhere between the early stuff like Sabbath and Zeppelin, NWOBM, and 80's glam rock to 90's Grunge/alternative, Nu-metal and some industrial like Marilyn Manson, NIN, Rob Zombie.( I really love Rob Zombie) I don't think I'm ready for Black or Death metal....yet anyways. But thanks again for the suggestion.

Yeah everyone got to go trough the vocal thing, I also hated growling vocals some years back smile.gif But trust me, you wont find any better black metal vocalist than Nocturno Culto(Darkthrone) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 27 2007, 09:22 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 26 2007, 05:26 PM) *
Hello everyone. I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but figured this was as good a place as any.

...I personally love the footage of Dee Snider walking into a congressional meeting to talk against "the filthy fifiteen" list from the early eighties. All these politicians, including Gore, smirking as Snider walks in with the cut off jean vest, tight pants, make up and wild hair, figuring he can't put two words together and then he blows them away with a very eliquant, educated, and compelling speach. Classic Snider) ...

Was it the same congressional as the one that Jello Biaffra was called to? Could well be one of the few reasons why the censorship brigade (with a certain Mrs Gore fronting it if I remember rightly) failed largely in its attempt to get all albums rated for lyrical content and 'appropriateness' of subject matter. (Apologies as I may not have the 'facts' right here - as a European US politics is murky water for me.)

If so I'd say we owe Dee and Jello a major debt - hell we owe them anyway biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Aug 27 2007, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 27 2007, 09:04 AM) *

Just to suggest to get use to the growl vocals, you should listen to Trivium(acsendency) and Children of bodom (are you dead yet) There growls are much easier to get use to imo. I dont even really like those vocals on the darkthrone dude, but im not a very big death/black metal fan. check these out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ck866mmm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAjKtmT3lk

sorry to get off topic with this thread just had to make a suggestion. Also Trivium has an album out that doesn't have screaming in it if your interested, called the crusade. if you dont already know about them.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 27 2007, 09:44 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 27 2007, 05:22 AM) *
Was it the same congressional as the one that Jello Biaffra was called to? Could well be one of the few reasons why the censorship brigade (with a certain Mrs Gore fronting it if I remember rightly) failed largely in its attempt to get all albums rated for lyrical content and 'appropriateness' of subject matter. (Apologies as I may not have the 'facts' right here - as a European US politics is murky water for me.)

If so I'd say we owe Dee and Jello a major debt - hell we owe them anyway biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Tony

I think the Jello Biafra incident was actually a trial in 1986....but not 100% sure. I believe it took place the year after the congressional hearing brought forth by the P.M.R.C. which was led by Tipper Gore. At that hearing I believe Frank Zappa, Dee Snider, and John Denver were called to testify on behalf of all artists for their 1st ammendment rights. Jello Biafra I think was on trial for obsenity due to some album art on the Frankenchrist LP but after a year was declared a mistrial. This was brought forth also by the P.M.R.C. and attacked the 1st ammendment.

So yeah I agree with you Tony that we owe these guys a debt. The documentary by Sam Dunn does a good job touching on the issue of censorship and it's effects on metal but I think this speaks universally to all genres of music.

Just to suggest to get use to the growl vocals, you should listen to Trivium(acsendency) and Children of bodom (are you dead yet) There growls are much easier to get use to imo.

Thanks Rob_g. I've heard Trivium and they are pretty good. I'll check out Children of Bodom as never listened to them before. Thanks for the suggestions.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 27 2007, 09:46 PM

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 27 2007, 10:02 PM
Rokchik I like the voodoo that you do do smile.gif just today I saw an ad on an Israeli documentry channel that theill be showing that movie sometime soon, I'll be sure to watch it.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 28 2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I love the movie, the interview with Necrobutcher owns everything, when he's sooo drunk and says like "F*** you! You know?" with that hillarious tone. And the interview with Gaahl is priceless aswell. And Rokchick, if you want to get a better picture of the norwegian black metal, check out the documentary "Satan rides the media", it's great.

And Robin, Nocturno Culto is good and all, but no way near as good as Garm:D (yeah, I know it's a matter of taste..)

Edited for language - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 28 2007, 02:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 28 2007, 02:54 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 28 2007, 12:19 AM) *
Yeah, I love the movie, the interview with Necrobutcher owns everything, when he's sooo drunk and says like "F*** you! You know?" with that hillarious tone. And the interview with Gaahl is priceless aswell. And Rokchick, if you want to get a better picture of the norwegian black metal, check out the documentary "Satan rides the media", it's great.

And Robin, Nocturno Culto is good and all, but no way near as good as Garm:D (yeah, I know it's a matter of taste..)

Edited for language - Andrew

Satan Rides the media is great. A journalist that is neutral and looks at the facts.

What band was Garm in? I know the name, dont remember wich band.
(Nocturno Culto on A Blaze in the nortern sky dude... How can anyone compete with that? wink.gif )

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 28 2007, 03:16 AM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 27 2007, 07:31 AM) *
Just to suggest to get use to the growl vocals, you should listen to Trivium(acsendency) and Children of bodom (are you dead yet) There growls are much easier to get use to imo. I dont even really like those vocals on the darkthrone dude, but im not a very big death/black metal fan. check these out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ck866mmm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAjKtmT3lk

sorry to get off topic with this thread just had to make a suggestion. Also Trivium has an album out that doesn't have screaming in it if your interested, called the crusade. if you dont already know about them.

Dude i agree on Trivum and bodom.Thats about as hard on vocals as i go.I end up loving all the music on heavier stuff but just dont care for the type of vocals on black metal ect.Awesome post rokchik and i think i saw that doc on vh1 a while back

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 28 2007, 03:20 AM
Growls and stuff of that nature are all a slow process it seems.

I HATED cannibal corpses vocals for so long but i loved the music SO much, so i bought a few albums, even though it hated the vocals, a year goes by, and i love them!!

Growling is now one of my favorite things about Music!! smile.gif

So even if you hate it, just know that with time you could end up loving it!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Aug 28 2007, 03:22 AM
the dvd kept me interested. Gaahl and Mayhem was the highpoint of the documentary. I couldnt remember most of it since I saw it once bout a year ago.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 28 2007, 03:33 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 28 2007, 02:20 AM) *
Growls and stuff of that nature are all a slow process it seems.

I HATED cannibal corpses vocals for so long but i loved the music SO much, so i bought a few albums, even though it hated the vocals, a year goes by, and i love them!!

Growling is now one of my favorite things about Music!! smile.gif

So even if you hate it, just know that with time you could end up loving it!

You have no idea how much I hated growling about 3-4 years ago smile.gif I HATED black and death metal.
But after 4 years with Iron Maiden I needed something new. It started out with In Flames and Children of Bodom, but I got bored of that after 2 months, then I discovered Opeth. I really didnt like the vocals at all, but I loved the music. So I just listened to some Opeth songs that I got from my sister. After a while I started LOVING the vocals so much, and then me and my friend discovered Darkthrone. He RANDOMLY bought A blaze in the northern sky, Under a funeral moon and Tranvsilvanian hunger biggrin.gif its so funny haha, those three classics he bought at a sale, he had no idea what it was. And thats when we started loving black metal.

To everyone who listens to metal without growls now, trust me, eventually you will love growling aswell smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:46 AM