Rush's Alex Lifeson - Inventor Of Progressive Music, isn't Alex Lifeson at all!!
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 19 2013, 11:29 AM
GMC:er
His name is Aleksandar Živojinović , and he is SERBIAN!!! mellow.gif

I'm stunned when i've read his biography today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Lifeson

He just freely translated his name from Serbian to english.

huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jun 19 2013, 12:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
klasaine
Jun 19 2013, 03:42 PM
Geddy Lee is Actually Gary Lee Weinrib.
His Parents are/were Polish (Holocaust survivors I believe) and Geddy is due to his mother's heavily accented pronunciation of his given first name Gary (Geddy).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2013, 09:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 07:29 AM) *

huh.gif

Awesome! I didn't know this... How would be the English version of your name Slav?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 19 2013, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 19 2013, 10:18 PM) *
Awesome! I didn't know this... How would be the English version of your name Slav?

I will tell you, if you promise you'll not laugh. huh.gif

Rough translation of my name to english would sound - Glory man . mellow.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 19 2013, 10:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 10:03 PM) *

That's epic! smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 19 2013, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 19 2013, 04:42 PM) *
Geddy Lee is Actually Gary Lee Weinrib.
His Parents are/were Polish (Holocaust survivors I believe) and Geddy is due to his mother's heavily accented pronunciation of his given first name Gary (Geddy).

Yeah.. didn't knew that too.

I was wondering what force people to change their name, by translating it, literally from one language to another?
Are they ashamed of their native background , their own roots?
I understand when some guy creates an artistic name, but to me translating name literally, is from my point, ridiculously nonsense. huh.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 19 2013, 11:04 PM) *
That's epic! smile.gif

My mother's guilty for that!! She didn';t knew how to name me, so she gave me my father's name!! huh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2013, 12:34 AM
GLORY MAN!!! I think you should name your band that!! It does sorta scream Metal ya know??
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 05:03 PM) *
I will tell you, if you promise you'll not laugh. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 20 2013, 01:28 AM

I love this documentary - Peart finally goes on camera. Alex is hilarious. Particularly fun are the guys sitting a round the dinner table at the end getting drunk and talking.

Lots of great old footage. Touring the neighborhoods they grew up in, how Neal came into the band, etc.

Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 20 2013, 01:32 AM

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 20 2013, 01:26 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 20 2013, 01:34 AM) *
GLORY MAN!!! I think you should name your band that!! It does sorta scream Metal ya know??

Haha, yeah, it does sound kinda epic Power metal , thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2013, 02:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 19 2013, 08:34 PM) *

yeah! I would definitely do it! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 20 2013, 07:08 PM
Before my first band decided on a name, we called ourselves Big Stank.

Likewise, this current group of guys I am playing with (minimal dedication and without a singer) is called "Who Farted". biggrin.gif

We would come up with something clever if the time ever comes.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 20 2013, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 21 2013, 10:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 10:15 PM) *
I was wondering what force people to change their name, by translating it, literally from one language to another?
I understand when some guy creates an artistic name, but to me translating name literally, is from my point, ridiculously nonsense. huh.gif

I didn't know this either ! That's cool !

I think a lot of people change their names to something which easier to pronounce by English speakers, not because they're ashamed. In some cases, even record companies suggest things like that. We all know the story of Arnold Schwarzengger who was pressured to call himself Arnold Strong because nobody could say his real name, although he did the unusual thing and refused ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 21 2013, 01:34 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 02:15 PM) *

Sometimes they are. Especially a generation or two in the past.
My grandparents came from Czarist Russia and they're Jews. They not only hated where they came from and were forced to leave with nothing but they didn't want anybody else to know where they came from and forbid anything but english spoken in the house.
My grandfather on my father's side was Maryasha Abramovich Lazovsky. He changed it to Sam Lasaine.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 22 2013, 01:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 19 2013, 10:29 AM) *

huh.gif

hehe, I came across this surprise myself just a week ago.

Slavenko, you may also be interested to know that Andy LaRoque's real name is Anders Allhage.

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 20 2013, 12:28 AM) *

I love this documentary - Peart finally goes on camera. Alex is hilarious. Particularly fun are the guys sitting a round the dinner table at the end getting drunk and talking.

Lots of great old footage. Touring the neighborhoods they grew up in, how Neal came into the band, etc.

Enjoy!

That was a great watch! I've been a fan for a long time but never knew much about their history.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 22 2013, 06:44 PM
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 22 2013, 02:25 PM) *
hehe, I came across this surprise myself just a week ago.

Slavenko, you may also be interested to know that Andy LaRoque's real name is Anders Allhage.

Yeah, i know that for a while, thanks anyway wink.gif I must know the full name of one of my all time top 5 guitarists

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 27 2013, 11:34 AM
Btw DeGroot Did u Knew that Mickey Dee is Greek - Micael Kiriakos Delaoglou ?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 27 2013, 12:35 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 27 2013, 10:34 AM) *
Btw DeGroot Did u Knew that Mickey Dee is Greek - Micael Kiriakos Delaoglou ?

I remember hearing his name was abbreviated. No, I didn't know his full name though! smile.gif

He is one of my favorite drummers. Especially on "Them".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 27 2013, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 27 2013, 01:35 PM) *
I remember hearing his name was abbreviated. No, I didn't know his full name though! smile.gif

He is one of my favorite drummers. Especially on "Them".

Yeah, he kicked arse on that and Conspiracy too. It's a shame he went on to join Motorhead dry.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 27 2013, 06:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 27 2013, 01:35 PM) *
Yeah, he kicked arse on that and Conspiracy too. It's a shame he went on to join Motorhead dry.gif

Yeah, it's a strange choice from a listener's point of view.. that he would go from technical, semi progressive, challenging metal to a more straight forward style of band. Maybe he just enjoys it more.. or maybe the pay is better !?

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 27 2013, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 27 2013, 07:57 PM) *
Yeah, it's a strange choice from a listener's point of view.. that he would go from technical, semi progressive, challenging metal to a more straight forward style of band. Maybe he just enjoys it more.. or maybe the pay is better !?

I personaly don't think that he enjoys playing same rhythm parts from beginning to end of song.. so probably it's 2nd answer to the question.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:39 AM