Switched To A Thicker Pick...
spacebran
Mar 8 2012, 06:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I read Nihilist1's thread on his endorsement and it got me thinking. Iused to use the medium orange Tortex picks, and then I switched to the grey .73 mm 'Jim Dunlop' picks. I started realizing that a lot of people here tend to use thick picks with a sharper tip. Ever since I started, I always avoided thick picks because I just liked the way these felt, and didn't put much thought into it beyond that. I remember trying one a few times and never liking it. I only tried them for a minute or two.

About a week ago, I went to a Long and McQuade near my house to try and buy a bunch of thicker picks, but they seemed to be out of a lot of them. One of the ones they had that I am trying now is the Tortex 1.0 mm smaller tear dropped shape.

I'm still getting used to it, but I gotta say - it's improved my picking. It sometimes feels weird and I've tried switching back to my medium picks and I don't think I'll be using them again.

So if there is anyone who uses medium picks and they do a lot of picking - try a thick pick! It's made a difference for me.

I'm going to order some V-picks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 08:17 AM
Instructor
I was using 3mm Big Stubby picks, and after I got my endorsement with Steve Clayton, I began using tear drop shaped picks made of an abrasive material, called acetal - 1mm thick. They work great for me and they personalized them with the Voodoo logo biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 8 2012, 09:47 AM
Learning Roadie
I've been using the V pick small pointed for 3 or 4 years now.

I found recently that the stiletto works for me when doing my Alt Picking exercises to really help nail it (it has a sharper attack so you really hear the rhythm and groove of the picking) however when I go back to the Small Pointed I can feel my right hand, forearm relax very noticably and I play better because of that.

All my small pointed picks have worn down, which might account for the swapping to the stiletto.

I have just ordered another 6 Small Pointed and a couple more Stiletto (I thought I'd try the buffed version this time)

But until Vini makes a stiletto with a tapered width I'll probably swap between the two during practice.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 8 2012, 11:59 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 8 2012, 02:17 AM) *
they personalized them with the Voodoo logo biggrin.gif

ooooh. Cosmin, are the personalized Voodoo picks available for purchase?

I used the orange (.5mm?) and even the red, which is even thinner, forever. However, after I started here and read Andrew Cockburn's series, I switched to the 1.0 mm. After reading some of Todd Simpon's alternate picking tutorials, I switched to the tear drop in 1.14mm. Still have a bunch of the 1.0mm and I am filing those down to the tear drop design. I am very happy with the new thickness and shape and I can't say I would ever go back to a thin pick! smile.gif

This post has been edited by JTaylor: Mar 8 2012, 11:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 8 2012, 12:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 8 2012, 10:59 AM) *
Still have a bunch of the 1.0mm and I am filing those down to the tear drop design.

How are you filing them Jon ?

I used the carpet but it left a purple trace....... I got told off. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 8 2012, 12:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 8 2012, 06:05 AM) *

To get mine sharper when dull I use a metal file or sandpaper.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 8 2012, 01:27 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 8 2012, 06:05 AM) *

laugh.gif I've used a piece of 40 grit sandpaper laid on a flat surface. It works really well, but 40 is really rough so it doesn't take much and I only used it because it's all I had. 220 sandpaper would give a really clean line.

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 8 2012, 08:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Not sure if this helps anyone, but they do make the Dunlop Tortex as a "sharp" pick as well.

I used them for years, but switched to v-picks. The tone is way better. Love the tortex, but the tone just isn't the same. Still, a great pick.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
spacebran
Mar 9 2012, 01:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
How long do the sharp V-picks last before they noticeably become dull?

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 9 2012, 02:37 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 8 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Not sure if this helps anyone, but they do make the Dunlop Tortex as a "sharp" pick as well.

I used them for years, but switched to v-picks. The tone is way better. Love the tortex, but the tone just isn't the same. Still, a great pick.

I've started buying that one but I have a lot of regular ones left over and, since I just got laid off, we are watching our pennies now biggrin.gif
Never knew a pick could make a difference in tone! I'll have to look at the V-picks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 9 2012, 04:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
I haven't been playing them too long (about 3 weeks now), and my Switchblade is starting to wear a bit. BUT, I didn't get the "buffed" version (Todd Simpson's model) so I actually like it better NOW than at first. I imagine it still has a few months left in it.

Also, I used to go through 2-3 tortex per week (sharpies...they don't take long to dull!) most weeks. Most players don't go through picks half as fast as I do.... although I'm sure GMC has some shredders that wear them down even faster than I do! I'd always buy at least 10 at a time, if not more. I've save mountains of used green tortex sharpies for a potential art project. I should take a pic of them for GMC! Practice = worn picks!!

QUOTE (spacebran @ Mar 8 2012, 04:29 PM) *
How long do the sharp V-picks last before they noticeably become dull?

I never thought a pick could upgrade your tone either! In fact, I really didn't believe it....but figured I'd try. The BIGGEST tone difference is with my V-pick "Screamer". They threw it in free to try, and I would NEVER have bought it on my own! 2.75mm thick, and not a shape I would go for....but that thing is FAST, and the tone upgrade is amazing! Especially for funk/jazz. I use the "Switchblade" for everything else. Still a huge tone upgrade, but more "punch/twang" than the Screamer. The Venom was great, but just a bit too small for my liking.

QUOTE (JTaylor @ Mar 8 2012, 05:37 PM) *
I've started buying that one but I have a lot of regular ones left over and, since I just got laid off, we are watching our pennies now biggrin.gif
Never knew a pick could make a difference in tone! I'll have to look at the V-picks!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 9 2012, 07:46 AM
Learning Roadie
When my new picks come I'll show a pic comparison between new and my worn ones

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 9 2012, 10:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (spacebran @ Mar 8 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I read Nihilist1's thread on his endorsement and it got me thinking. Iused to use the medium orange Tortex picks, and then I switched to the grey .73 mm 'Jim Dunlop' picks. I started realizing that a lot of people here tend to use thick picks with a sharper tip. Ever since I started, I always avoided thick picks because I just liked the way these felt, and didn't put much thought into it beyond that. I remember trying one a few times and never liking it. I only tried them for a minute or two.

About a week ago, I went to a Long and McQuade near my house to try and buy a bunch of thicker picks, but they seemed to be out of a lot of them. One of the ones they had that I am trying now is the Tortex 1.0 mm smaller tear dropped shape.

I'm still getting used to it, but I gotta say - it's improved my picking. It sometimes feels weird and I've tried switching back to my medium picks and I don't think I'll be using them again.

So if there is anyone who uses medium picks and they do a lot of picking - try a thick pick! It's made a difference for me.

The thing is you need to try a few different picks before you will decide which one is best for you
You need to find the balance and feel comfortable playing!
Sharp picks help you play faster and thicker picks will make your attack sharper

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 9 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 8 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Yeah I ordered some of these the other day but I was really dissapointed. They have the point but the trouble is they've made them too narrow so it's like playing guitar with a toothpick.

What I like in a pick is having the width of a regular pick but the point. The Dunlop Jazz III looks like it addresses that. I'll have to check them out.

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 9 2012, 10:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
What are you currently using Ben? In my opinion, you are a superb player and deserve a better tone than a nylon based pick will ever give you...but that's one man's opinion. Have you tried a v-pick, or other "high end" picks? (Although I don't consider the price of a v-pick as "high end", when compared to $30+ Red Bear or Blue Chip picks!!) I would imagine that many of the v-picks would sound and play better than a jazzIII. Once again, my opinion. I've only recently discovered what good picks can do for tone and speed. I was Tortex for YEARS, so not trying to sound "high and mighty". wink.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 9 2012, 02:01 AM) *
Yeah I ordered some of these the other day but I was really dissapointed. They have the point but the trouble is they've made them too narrow so it's like playing guitar with a toothpick.

What I like in a pick is having the width of a regular pick but the point. The Dunlop Jazz III looks like it addresses that. I'll have to check them out.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 10 2012, 10:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 9 2012, 09:37 PM) *
What are you currently using Ben? In my opinion, you are a superb player and deserve a better tone than a nylon based pick will ever give you...but that's one man's opinion. Have you tried a v-pick, or other "high end" picks? (Although I don't consider the price of a v-pick as "high end", when compared to $30+ Red Bear or Blue Chip picks!!) I would imagine that many of the v-picks would sound and play better than a jazzIII. Once again, my opinion. I've only recently discovered what good picks can do for tone and speed. I was Tortex for YEARS, so not trying to sound "high and mighty". wink.gif

Hehe, well thank you Gabe. I use Tortex 1.14mm. They're not Nylon but I actually quite like the feel of Nylon picks and have never had a problem with gripping them. I'm gonna keep on filing my purple picks and when I run out I'll try the Jazz III. I just get a feeling about it smile.gif

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 10 2012, 12:07 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (derper @ Mar 9 2012, 04:37 PM) *
(Although I don't consider the price of a v-pick as "high end", when compared to $30+ Red Bear or Blue Chip picks!!)

$30 for a pick?????!!!!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif WOW! The Tortex (regular or sharp) only run me 40 cents! If I bought a $30 pick and my son got hold of it and lost it, I think I would cry biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Mar 10 2012, 01:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (spacebran @ Mar 8 2012, 05:16 AM) *

I am glad I could help steer someone in the direction of using a stiff pick. I used to use flimsy Nylon picks back in the day and when I finally started practicing with stiff picks after reading Dave Mustaine speak of the benefits in a Guitar World magazine. Ever since then, I never turned back. I stumbled on to V-Picks at Todd's discretion and fell in love. I switch between the Stiletto Buffed and the Stylus Picks when I am practicing in order to elevate my speed to higher levels even faster.

I mainly play rhythm(I might decide to put all these skills I am acquiring to use one day and play lead), but having a sharper pick and playing on the tip still helps my tremolo picking(I mainly play Black Metal when I am not with Kranken Welpen). So I naturally need a very tight, controlled speed. It helps having a rigid pick that I can firmly grip without being heavy-handed. It helps make my playing far more even and allows me to accent notes with greater diversity.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 10 2012, 02:30 PM
Learning Roadie
I like the plastic picks, personally. I have tried V-Picks. Loved them at first, but after going back to plastic from acrylic I found the feel and sound much better. It depends what I am working on that defines the thickness of my pick.

Super thick picks (I mean only up to around 2 mm) for heavy rhythms that require triplet chugging.
Thick picks (getting into the range of about 1 mm) for other heavy rhythms, not leads so much anymore.
Medium & Thin picks (about medium actually; around 0.75 mm) for leads.
Super thin picks (we are now around 0.50 mm) for occasional leads, and some background lead arpeggios.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:57 PM