My Left Hand Can't Keep Up With My Right Hand Speedpicking
bricktop
Mar 12 2007, 01:46 PM
GMC:er
Well I've been getting faster at picking, especially my right hand with some good tremolo speed. Took a little while but my problem now is getting my left hand to keep up. I know the patterns I'm playing so it's not as if I'm trying to learn where to go, it's just a matter of doing it with the picking speed. Any suggestions on getting the left hand to move faster?

John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2007, 04:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (bricktop @ Mar 12 2007, 08:46 AM) *
Well I've been getting faster at picking, especially my right hand with some good tremolo speed. Took a little while but my problem now is getting my left hand to keep up. I know the patterns I'm playing so it's not as if I'm trying to learn where to go, it's just a matter of doing it with the picking speed. Any suggestions on getting the left hand to move faster?

John

In a word ... practice! (Sorry, but its the only way) and use a metronome. It seems to me my left hand is always the limiting factor, but its not just about speed, its about synchronization and making them work together - I can do legato hammer ons faster than I can speed pick, but putting them together slows both hands down. You need to add speed slowly, bpm by aching bpm with a metronome. I find that after a metronome session I can actually play to backing tracks faster than my max metronome speed - go figure.

If you do find a quick way to do this let me know smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
bricktop
Mar 12 2007, 06:56 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 12 2007, 04:48 PM) *
In a word ... practice! (Sorry, but its the only way) and use a metronome. It seems to me my left hand is always the limiting factor, but its not just about speed, its about synchronization and making them work together - I can do legato hammer ons faster than I can speed pick, but putting them together slows both hands down. You need to add speed slowly, bpm by aching bpm with a metronome. I find that after a metronome session I can actually play to backing tracks faster than my max metronome speed - go figure.

If you do find a quick way to do this let me know smile.gif

I knew it was practice! Which of course I have been doing and keeping track of my bpms on the sticky thread. It's just lopsided on how one hand develops faster than the other. It drives me crazy seeing Kris do these 16th note tripelets and I can pretty much pick that fast but I'm just thinking my left hand won't ever get there! smile.gif

john

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2007, 11:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (bricktop @ Mar 12 2007, 01:56 PM) *
I knew it was practice! Which of course I have been doing and keeping track of my bpms on the sticky thread. It's just lopsided on how one hand develops faster than the other. It drives me crazy seeing Kris do these 16th note tripelets and I can pretty much pick that fast but I'm just thinking my left hand won't ever get there! smile.gif

john

LOL - and I knew you knew smile.gif I think we should tie lead weights to Kris' hand to slow him down so we can all claim to be as fast as him ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:51 AM