Ninjam, Jam across the globe
kerupt
May 16 2007, 06:51 AM
GMC:er
Just tried this great free program called Ninjam today. AMAZING! You can run beats or backing tracks in a seperate program (They offer one that supports Ninjam already) and you connect to a server and jam with other people! Its great how well it works. Definately give it a try, great way to jam with others and give eachother some helpful hints!

http://www.ninjam.com/download.php

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Ryan
May 16 2007, 07:07 AM
I downloaded it..but i cant figure it out..evne though i only tried..for like 15 secs..i got bored..its not very user freindly...but idk...maybe its a great thign..ill just have to figure it out.............or you could jsut tell me..HOW DO YOU CONNECT....OR LETS MAKE IT SIMPLE..........how do you do everthing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 16 2007, 07:14 AM
QUOTE (kerupt @ May 16 2007, 12:51 AM) *
Just tried this great free program called Ninjam today. AMAZING! You can run beats or backing tracks in a seperate program (They offer one that supports Ninjam already) and you connect to a server and jam with other people! Its great how well it works. Definately give it a try, great way to jam with others and give eachother some helpful hints!

http://www.ninjam.com/download.php

this is the kind of thing that I would be extreammmmmmmly frightened to use. lot of bad guys out there, be careful about maybe opening a nice big door for them.

edit: ok, Softpedia guarantees it to be safe. Probably ok. But always do that, not to be a momma hen, but don't ever download anything until you find some reliable evidence that it is safe.

And also be careful where you download things from. Sites quickly pop up that offer downloads, and it is altered with spyware. Go to the reliable source for everything.

Signed

Mother Hen

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 16 2007, 07:21 AM

+Quote Post
kerupt
May 16 2007, 07:19 AM
Well, with all the antivirus stuff and my firewall on my router watching everything, I havent seen anything fishy so far, seems relatively safe. If something comes up though, i'd be the first to know and would let you guys know not to use it.

Basically to make it work you need an input to your computer (USB device through a pedal, connecting an out from your amp to your PC), Speakers or Headphones to listen through, and a decent internet connection (its a bandwith monster).

I found that you need ASIO drivers for your sound for it to work properly (Found here: http://www.asio4all.com/)

Go to your audio setup and set your driver (the top bar whatever its called) to ASIO, then set your inputs to whatever your input on your PC is, be it USB or your audio card.

Then set your outputs to your speakers / headphones.

They have a list of servers here that you can use: http://www.ninjam.com/jamfarm/index.php

Just type in whatever name you want, click sign in anonymously, and sign in. THen you can start jamming!

Worth giving it a shot i think wink.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 16 2007, 07:24 AM
QUOTE (kerupt @ May 16 2007, 01:19 AM) *
Well, with all the antivirus stuff and my firewall on my router watching everything, I havent seen anything fishy so far, seems relatively safe. If something comes up though, i'd be the first to know and would let you guys know not to use it.

I mentioned above that this one is guaranteed by Softpedia. So probably ok.

Don't count on router, spyware, antivirus. There are things they will not detect, such as some key stroke monitors. People that work in computer security will tell you, you had better be a lot more paranoid than you may think you have to be.

I personally use Linux for everything I consider confidential. Not that that is perfectly safe. But the fact is, Evilsoft products are primarily targeted. Hopefully everyone on this site is savvy enough to have trashed IE by now. That helps.

QUESTION FOR GMC SECURITY EXPERTS???

Since as everybody knows, all subscribers to this forum work either in computer tech, or the food service industry. I know we have some security experts. I am just a humble programmer software engineer guy, I just know enough to have a serious fear of the lord.

To me, to open up a port like this, to a free ware product that has been written with who knows what type of care to security holes, well this would just scare the bejezzzus out of me. Am I being overly concerned? Inquiring minds want to know.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 16 2007, 07:49 AM

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
May 16 2007, 06:33 PM
Well I agree you need to be cautious of where you are getting programs from. But also performing weekly maintenance and also have the RIGHT type of protection (sorry Norton, McAfee and Zone Alarm fans... you have the wrong stuff) will do alot.

I can honestly say I RARELY get hit with a piece of spyware. As for viruses, never.

Hackers are not on every corner as much as the media would like for all of us to believe that. And even within the hacking community it self, there's even a smaller percentage of people that can actually get the job done.

But if everyone wants to be 100% safe, close PORT 80 wink.gif

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: May 16 2007, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
sb81
May 17 2007, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 16 2007, 07:24 AM) *
QUESTION FOR GMC SECURITY EXPERTS???

Since as everybody knows, all subscribers to this forum work either in computer tech, or the food service industry. I know we have some security experts. I am just a humble programmer software engineer guy, I just know enough to have a serious fear of the lord.

To me, to open up a port like this, to a free ware product that has been written with who knows what type of care to security holes, well this would just scare the bejezzzus out of me. Am I being overly concerned? Inquiring minds want to know.

You're not really being overly concerned.

Nothing is 100% hack proof, only way to be 100% safe is to leave your PC off a network/internet tongue.gif

My best advice is to use Mozilla Firefox instead of IE, and never open/install attachments/links unless you KNOW, not think, but KNOW what you are installing.

I'm not paranoid, I'll install freeware apps from time to time... I make sure to use firefox unless a site I need to use isn't compatible with it... every once in a great while I will run spyware scans (spybot, Adaware, Hijack This) and hardly anything is ever picked up. I can thank Firefox for that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:11 PM