> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Neoclassical Three-Level-Lesson, Intermediate , Lesson By Marcus Lavendell
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Steve Gilfield
Apr 4 2020, 06:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Original lesson: Neoclassical Three-Level-Lesson, Intermediate by Marcus Lavendell

This brought back some memories :) It's been so many years since I tried out Malmsteen-styled licks!! Thanks for the lesson Marcus.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2020, 07:05 PM
Instructor
Great job here!! I can hear that you are familiar with this sound and licks! smile.gif

As I said in the other lessons that I've just commented, I think that you can work more on your bending, vibrato and slides. Yngwie is known because he is a neo classical shredder, but one the most characteristic aspect of his playing is the energy of his bends and vibrato. I feel that this is lacking here.

Besides that, this is a strong take! Keep on rocking!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 4 2020, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
Your technique is good overall here and I think you are ready for the next challenge! As this is an YNGWIE bit, your vibrato, while good, is not as wild and exaggerated as yngwie. Notice when he does a high slide in to a vibrato that he uses a very very wide vibrato which is what makes him sound like yngwie. He also uses a very light mute to accentuate pick attack which is yet another trick that makes him sound like him. These are very subtle techniques that make his playing stand out to the ear. You are well on your way to getting a very good handle on these. Well played!

Solid 8 from me!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 7 2020, 10:24 AM
GMC Founder
Sounds great!

I would also like to add that this tempo is a great opportunity to make sure your picking mechanics are as effective as possible. You should try to make a much smaller picking movement to prepare yourself for more advanced runs.

You can of course barely see the back and forth picking movement when Yngwie does it. Also you can see in this lesson how controlled and machine like Marcus' picking movement is - even though at this tempo we can afford less strict picking.

It also seems you use economy picking here just like Marcus and Yngwie do.

Nicely done, keep working on your vibrato! You get an 8 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 8 2020, 10:20 AM
Instructor
Hey there!

My first impression was same as Gabriel. It is audible that you are familiar with Yngwie's playing, and you are goign in a good direction but there is something missing from his characteristic bending and vibrato. It shoudl be definitely wider. Also try to think of one thing. In general it is more comfortable and more stable pitch-wise to use only down-pull motion for vibrato (doesn't involve E1 string of course). With down-pulling the process of string getting back to it's picth point zero, is more natural. You just release the pressure of fretting finger and the string takes it back to it's place with it. with push-up motion it is more difficult to fully use the potential of wrist rotation, which is critical for good vibrato. Push-up motion gives more resistance of finegr going down while you release the string.

You are using pull-down motion but not constantly. If you could force yourself to be more consistent on this topic, it would definitely boost your playing precision/consistency becasue it is random moves we do, that generate issues smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 9 2020, 03:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:13 AM