Guitar Purchase
singlive
Aug 22 2010, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi
I need some advice on buying a new guitar.
I like the idea of a Burny Les Paul copy with Sustainer and Floyd Rose, however they only make them in China which as far as I am aware, is way below the quality of Japanese made copies. I have £800 to spend and definately want a Japanese made Les Paul. Am I being to cautious about Chinese made guitars.
Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 22 2010, 03:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Well.....if you wanna be cautious about Chinese-made guitars, then perhaps you should go with something different, but as similiar as possible to what you want, that is made in Japan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 22 2010, 03:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
I guess you have to look into Tokai or Edwards guitars for your budget but keep in mind that when you order them from Japan you will also have to pay shipping and import taxes...

You can try a ESP ltd EC 1000, which is a high quality korean made Les Paul type by the Japanese Company ESP

OR

You save up some more money and go for a real, japanese made ESP Eclipse!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 22 2010, 04:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, ESP/Edwards/Ltd sounds like good choices smile.gif Edwards are like qualitywise between esp and ltd smile.gif

+Quote Post
singlive
Aug 22 2010, 04:46 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 22 2010, 04:08 PM) *
Yeah, ESP/Edwards/Ltd sounds like good choices smile.gif Edwards are like qualitywise between esp and ltd smile.gif

Sounds like the right thing to do. ESP are rated highly and there's a couple of Eclipse on Ebay around my budget.

Thanks for the advice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 22 2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Les Paul with Floyd Rose... hmm, I think it really doesn't go well together at least thats what I think. smile.gif

Epiphones are made in China nowadays, which I have. I am not sure of ones with Floyd Rose though. I think with that amount you could get a Gibson USA made guitar as well (but maynot be that high of a quality).

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 22 2010, 06:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You should look into getting a Tokai, in my opinion they're equal to or even better than the original LP. Although now they are getting somewhat pricey, you might have to snag a used one.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 22 2010, 07:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 22 2010, 06:28 PM) *
You should look into getting a Tokai, in my opinion they're equal to or even better than the original LP. Although now they are getting somewhat pricey, you might have to snag a used one.

Haha! I can smell Zakk coming for you!

Gibson do a LP Custom with floyd rose and scalloped heel, its called the axcess and it costs a firtune! laugh.gif

But if I were you I would very seriously check this out:

The bit you would be interested in is from around 2.50, bascially you only get charged for the options you choose ie floyd rose, bareknuckles, whatever. For your budget you could get pretty much what spec you wanted!
I know Rob quite well and can say hand on heart he is a top guy, top guitarist and is well respected in the industry, the first guitar he released (ML1) I played all the prtotypes and they were superb, all the money is in the woods and workmanship.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 23 2010, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 22 2010, 12:28 PM) *

I agree with this more or less, but i had a tokai and now i have a greco and they totally ROCK, 100% pure vintage juicy tone, BUT, you gotta be lucky i tried some other tokai, greco, edwards, etc guitars that are really horrible and bad built.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2010, 05:55 PM
Zakk has a good point on the ESP. They are fine guitars and the les paul model is designed to work with a floyd rose. Feels natural and not tacked on like some configurations. More good info from Zakk. The guy is a walking Wikki!

Todd

+Quote Post
singlive
Aug 26 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, thanks for all the advice.

I have spent quite a while checking out an ESP Ecilpse and an 80's Tokai, waiting for the bidding to end, convinced that I'd done my research and made my mind up.

Then out of the blue I bought something completly different that I hadn't even considered or even played before. Waiting for the delivery, I thought I'd blown it and definitely made a wrong decision. F**k! What a guitar! If you get a chance, try out the new Parker Dragonfly. It's a peach.

Cheers
Woody

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Aug 26 2010, 02:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Nice choice, Woody, I have a special place in my heart for the DFly. However, it's a fair departure from what you were looking for. I have an ESP Eclipse, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Dragonfly, and they are very different beasts, though I have a love affair with all three of them. Show us some pics of your guitar!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
singlive
Aug 26 2010, 05:34 PM
I've also got Tom Anderson Classic Strat that I've just posted on ebay. I feel the need to continue the purchase of an ESP that I've been following on ebay and the Dragonfly definitely gives me what my Strat gives, so bye bye Strat.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  df.tiff ( 521.05K ) Number of downloads: 101

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:34 PM