Bbe Products
fkalich
Apr 22 2010, 05:31 AM
GMC:er
Anyone had any of these? This electronics company has been around awhile, Japanese I think. Recently it has moved into effects, and from what I have seen, they are pretty generally well received.

Two have interested me, and I am buying them. I have never been happy with my Crybaby Wah. I always found it a bit harsh. I have been impressed with youtube demos comparing the BBE wah to others such as the Crybaby. As you see, Guitar Player picked it as top Wah last year.

http://www.bbesound.com/news/articles/GuitarPlayer-Wah.pdf

The other BBE effect I am purchasing is the BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer. Most sell this for $100, and the Wah for $150, but Amazon and some others have them cheaper. I guess they are trying to get some market penetration and allowing this. However the only dealer undercutting prices that is authorized by BBE is Amazon. So only with Amazon can you count on the 5 year warranty (which unlike Boss, covers both parts and labor). I guess Amazon just gets away with a lot that others do not, because of it's weight. If you read reviews on Amazon, you get the idea about the Maximizer. I have listened to a number of youtube demos, and really, you just make your tone sound better. Guys just find the right settings and leave it on all the time. One described it as on a stereo, when you press the bass boost button on your stereo. Based on youtube demos, I think that is a good analogy. Here are the Amazon Reviews. I don't think you beat Amazon for good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AKSUP...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyway, I am off to order these two. It got me off my butt to put my Crybaby with Fed Fasel, my Boss PS-5, and my modified Valve Junior with Attenuator on sale on Ebay. I am acting like my own wife.."honey, you don't buy anything new, till you sale something".

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 22 2010, 05:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OzRob
Apr 22 2010, 05:43 AM
I have the Sonic Stomp. Check out my review of it:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31152

I also have the BBE Sonic Sweet plugins for recording.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 22 2010, 06:03 AM
Gotta try them! Never heard about them.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 22 2010, 08:14 AM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Apr 21 2010, 11:43 PM) *
I have the Sonic Stomp. Check out my review of it:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=31152

I also have the BBE Sonic Sweet plugins for recording.

Thanks, good review, and you reinforced my view that this is a much needed item. I never have been satisfied with multi devices, and you say this helps those. Although I figure it will do the same with my chain of stomp boxes.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 22 2010, 08:16 AM

+Quote Post
OzRob
Apr 22 2010, 08:32 AM
@ Santiago - the Sonic Sweet plugins are great for the final mix of a song, or added to individual tracks for emphasising particular instruments or parts.

@ fkalich - yep, it works beautifully with analog chains. It works with any electrical audio device. Audiophiles even use the rack versions on sound systems to enhance listening to music.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 22 2010, 09:46 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The sonic maximiser - which I think is the rack version of the stomp - has been around for years and is similar to the SPL Vitaliser.

If it works for you then great but personally I would suggest that it's used sparingly and carefully since it can/will add distortion. If you're using it just on a guitar or bass then it can help increase the perceived clarity and air but if you use it for mixing/mastering a group or the stereo main then it very often can mess things up. Studio wise if you need more clarity then you need better monitoring and not something like this.

just my opinion though.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Apr 22 2010, 10:21 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 22 2010, 06:46 PM) *
just my opinion though.

It's the other two products in the set I was thinking of for full mix work:

http://nomadfactory.com/products/bbe/sonic_sweet/index.html

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 22 2010, 10:54 AM
Probably just me Rob but again personally it doesn't float my boat.

I very rarely find a need for multi/split band compressor and I think I'd have even less need for a multi/split band limiter either at mixing or mastering. A harmonic maximiser for presence and clarity - I'd prefer to use a good eq.

Nonetheless if it works for you and you're happy with what it does then great - just not for me.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 22 2010, 05:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its a good idea to get those pedals. I have been myself wandering about Sonic Stomp to enhance my bass playing setup. I'll try to get it soon...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 22 2010, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 22 2010, 03:46 AM) *
The sonic maximiser - which I think is the rack version of the stomp - has been around for years and is similar to the SPL Vitaliser.

If it works for you then great but personally I would suggest that it's used sparingly and carefully since it can/will add distortion. If you're using it just on a guitar or bass then it can help increase the perceived clarity and air but if you use it for mixing/mastering a group or the stereo main then it very often can mess things up. Studio wise if you need more clarity then you need better monitoring and not something like this.

just my opinion though.

Yeah, but just for playing guitar into your amp, for stomp box lovers, to just play, get a great tone and just really enjoy playing your guitar for your personal enjoyment, well I have not heard this in any demo, where the sound did not improve in my view. That is what I look for. I like to keep it simple, I don't need all that other stuff (recording, etc.). I am not a professional. Sure I work to really try to improve. But that does not mean I have to care about recording or mixing or anything. I just want to play into my amp through my stomp boxes for my personal enjoyment.

BBE has a nice warranty btw. 5 years parts and labor. They told me they actually will honor it for 7 years if you register it. Boss (even though I like my Boss pedals) has a pretty worthless warranty after 90 days, just parts. If I were to start again, I would really first be looking at BBE for stomp boxes, they seem to really try to have happy customers to me.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 22 2010, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 22 2010, 04:53 PM) *
Yeah, but just for playing guitar into your amp, for stomp box lovers, to just play, get a great tone and just really enjoy playing your guitar for your personal enjoyment, well I have not heard this in any demo, where the sound did not improve in my view. That is what I look for. I like to keep it simple, I don't need all that other stuff (recording, etc.). I am not a professional. Sure I work to really try to improve. But that does not mean I have to care about recording or mixing or anything. I just want to play into my amp through my stomp boxes for my personal enjoyment.

BBE has a nice warranty btw. 5 years parts and labor. They told me they actually will honor it for 7 years if you register it. Boss (even though I like my Boss pedals) has a pretty worthless warranty after 90 days, just parts. If I were to start again, I would really first be looking at BBE for stomp boxes, they seem to really try to have happy customers to me.

That's fair enough Frank. What I would say is I can remember trialing a maximiser some time back in a studio setting. It wasn't purchased as the consensus was that the resulting sound had some phase and distortion issues and was fatiguing to listen to over a period of time. Just on a guitar those issues may not be noticible though. Personally I wouldn't as I think if you're after great guitar tone then a psychoacoustic device like this, to me, seems not the way to go.
Just my opinion though...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 22 2010, 06:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 22 2010, 12:11 PM) *
That's fair enough Frank. What I would say is I can remember trialing a maximiser some time back in a studio setting. It wasn't purchased as the consensus was that the resulting sound had some phase and distortion issues and was fatiguing to listen to over a period of time. Just on a guitar those issues may not be noticible though. Personally I wouldn't as I think if you're after great guitar tone then a psychoacoustic device like this, to me, seems not the way to go.
Just my opinion though...

agree with you here tony, i don't think a maximiser will do any good for a good, rich guitar tone.
i think it might be good, just for playing in your room, just guitar, i mean, a maximiser will sound good when you are just hearing the guitar, will sound fuller etc, BUT, on a band context, i really don't think so, and even worse in a full mix.

but bottomline, you can have whatever you like on your chain, as long as you like it smile.gif, and ANYTHING can sound good, if you make it sound good!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 22 2010, 06:25 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 22 2010, 04:54 AM) *
I very rarely find a need for multi/split band compressor and I think I'd have even less need for a multi/split band limiter either at mixing or mastering. A harmonic maximiser for presence and clarity - I'd prefer to use a good eq.

edit: shortened, I talk too much sometimes.

Never had luck with equalizers. I try to keep it real simple. I think of a line from way back when, Jimmy Page. He was asked what effects he uses. He just said delay, a wah, distortion, and some flash (and laughed). I try to not wonder too much from that level of simplicity. This Sonic box is simple, and for most seems to improve their live tone. You start working with a 30 band GE, and for the rest of your life you are tweaking knobs.

For me, it is just playing in my room, and sounding good to me. that is all I care about, at least now. What I focus on is my fingers for the most part, I feel that is appropriate, get a good sound, and practice with the fingers, all on my lonesome, for the dogs and cats. You find a lot of very respectable people in the past, famous people who contributed to society in ways, did that. Einstein for one.

here is a good demo I found. He plays clean at first, then dirty, both with and without. For $60, I think this is worth it to me. I am always looking for something to give me that more silky fullness. It may sound a bit subtle, but that difference is very important to me, I like the tone I get to be as beautiful as I possibly can get. Sort of like how a violinist wants a fancy priceless instrument. Maybe much of the public can't tell the difference, but the artist can. I think I could play with an equalizer till the cows come home, and not match this. At least, I never have been able to in the past. Maybe for recording that works, but playing live into an amp, I have always felt those just screwed up the tone, and it sounded better without one. Of course I could change my mind later.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 22 2010, 08:12 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2010, 05:57 PM
Instructor
You got very nice deals there, congratulations. I would definitely like to tryout maximizer live, it could prove useful.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 23 2010, 06:36 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 22 2010, 05:25 PM) *
... This Sonic box is simple, and for most seems to improve their live tone. You start working with a 30 band GE, and for the rest of your life you are tweaking knobs.

As I said Frank - just on guitar if you think the sonic stomp or maximsier will work for you then fine smile.gif .

My comment about using an EQ was more to do with one of the software vsts in the 'sweet' package that Rob mentioned - the one that is a mulitband limiter. I made the point because BBE and Nomad are marketing it as a vst for mixing and mastering. Limiters are normally used by mastering engineers; I'm a professional mastering engineer and use them frequently. However, I've never needed and can see little reason to use, a splitband limiter. In my experience and opinion it will cause you many more problems then it will 'cure'. I already get sent enough recordings where the recording engineer has messed things up by using a multi/splitband compressor or a normal limiter on the main incorrectly.

BTW when I say a good eq I was again talking as a mastering engineer in relation to using a 'harmonic maximiser' (another part of the vst plug-in suite). The sort of 6/8/12/30/32/64 band graphic eqs really don't cut it for me either. I use a CraneSong Ibis and it's a world away from a graphic. It's not however the sort of thing you sit in line with a guitar and amp wink.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2010, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Pfff, that Crane is one of the worst devices I've ever seen.. biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 23 2010, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 23 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Pfff, that Crane is one of the worst devices I've ever seen.. biggrin.gif

Yeah, we only have it to prop one of the doors open wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:35 AM