8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Enlo22 - The Mighty Mixer Meister, mixing workshop
Darius Wave
Dec 12 2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Great You didn't stop to experiment - Yes...very often we need to trust things like SPAN...especially with the low end. I'm glad You decided to try again. Remember while using compression You are always able to increase whole track volume if You feel it bacame to quiet.

Looks ok. Now I would like to get a sampel of mix with new kick drum. Nex thing We're gonna go to are cymbals

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 12 2013, 06:06 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 12 2013, 08:37 AM) *
Great You didn't stop to experiment - Yes...very often we need to trust things like SPAN...especially with the low end. I'm glad You decided to try again. Remember while using compression You are always able to increase whole track volume if You feel it bacame to quiet.

Looks ok. Now I would like to get a sampel of mix with new kick drum. Nex thing We're gonna go to are cymbals

here is the little sample lol, do you know if we're going to work on guitars by any chance??

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 17 2013, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Of course we will! But before this You have to trust me - very often the feel You have about good guitar tone is sort of illusion created by good mix with other instruments. Before getting the section - drums and bass done...it's pointless to mess with guitars. I'm trying to give some knowledge I got through many years of mixing and You want it all, You want it now (like Queen sings biggrin.gif ) Be patient - it will help You way more in future mixing wink.gif

First of all let's make some order with cymbals. They are way to hidden so it feels like it's a keaboard drums rather than live drums. Boost those a bit now and add a High Pass Filter (HPF) usually DAW eq has this mode in the track options (EQ). Start from cutting everything above 1kHz (of course the cut will be smooth so it's not like taking away absolutely)

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 17 2013, 08:03 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 17 2013, 02:54 PM) *
Of course we will! But before this You have to trust me - very often the feel You have about good guitar tone is sort of illusion created by good mix with other instruments. Before getting the section - drums and bass done...it's pointless to mess with guitars. I'm trying to give some knowledge I got through many years of mixing and You want it all, You want it now (like Queen sings biggrin.gif ) Be patient - it will help You way more in future mixing wink.gif

First of all let's make some order with cymbals. They are way to hidden so it feels like it's a keaboard drums rather than live drums. Boost those a bit now and add a High Pass Filter (HPF) usually DAW eq has this mode in the track options (EQ). Start from cutting everything above 1kHz (of course the cut will be smooth so it's not like taking away absolutely)

ok cool, i understand.
i did the cut and here's what it sounds like

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2013, 02:46 PM
Instructor
I think it's better now.

Ok...we know that there is no place for hard rules in mixing but to give You sort of guide let's just say veeeeery often great cutting point for guitars is around 400-500 Hz

example - Attached Image

Experiment with this kind of cut. You will hear how guitars become heavier. You will also expirience that You will have to cut more mids from the drums. When we listen to professinal productions of this kind of genre, they are usually dried out of mids. Now...find Yourself a reference soung the mix You like and try to roll the eq to get close to the guitars. You will feel Your guitars sound fat comparing to those recordings. Waiting for next sample.

My example:

I've compared and try to fit Your mix to popular productions. I;ve added this sort of EQ (quick test - don't consider it professional)
:

Attached Image

Attached File  elno_full_mix_sample.wav ( 4.61MB ) Number of downloads: 117

So it's an image of how many mids are still able to be cut. While doing the cuts on each track remember You can add some volume.
We do the cut's to make instruments fit to each other. Sometimes some corrections come out once we fix other instrument eq.

When You cut the guitars You might feel that drums are too fat comparing to guitars. You can add more dB of mids cut to the drums as well.

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 18 2013, 05:51 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 18 2013, 01:46 PM) *
I think it's better now.

Ok...we know that there is no place for hard rules in mixing but to give You sort of guide let's just say veeeeery often great cutting point for guitars is around 400-500 Hz

example - Attached Image

Experiment with this kind of cut. You will hear how guitars become heavier. You will also expirience that You will have to cut more mids from the drums. When we listen to professinal productions of this kind of genre, they are usually dried out of mids. Now...find Yourself a reference soung the mix You like and try to roll the eq to get close to the guitars. You will feel Your guitars sound fat comparing to those recordings. Waiting for next sample.

My example:

I've compared and try to fit Your mix to popular productions. I;ve added this sort of EQ (quick test - don't consider it professional)
:

Attached Image

Attached File  elno_full_mix_sample.wav ( 4.61MB ) Number of downloads: 117

So it's an image of how many mids are still able to be cut. While doing the cuts on each track remember You can add some volume.
We do the cut's to make instruments fit to each other. Sometimes some corrections come out once we fix other instrument eq.

When You cut the guitars You might feel that drums are too fat comparing to guitars. You can add more dB of mids cut to the drums as well.

damn! smile.gif i like the way it soundsss i wish I could do the same lol. What was it that you cut mids from again? just the guitar? like did you cut the mids off the drums too?? or all that change was from that cut you have a picture of??

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 18 2013, 06:30 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Here's what I did so far, I cut the guitars! so it does seem to help a lot man! smile.gif as for lead guitars is there mixing for that as well?? i'm seeing progress for sure smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2013, 07:29 PM
Instructor
Second screen is an eq for all mix not just guitars. You can get similar effects by cutting slme mids k all instruments.

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 18 2013, 10:54 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 18 2013, 06:29 PM) *
Second screen is an eq for all mix not just guitars. You can get similar effects by cutting slme mids k all instruments.

ok cool, I sent you an audio file on the last reply smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 19 2013, 03:49 PM
Instructor
Now we're getting to the point where details can change everything. Before crushing drums eq let's see some volume tweaks. Now after guitars eq the drums are too loud. Increase the guitars volume (the tone of rhythm guitars is veery good, were fix the leas soon). Add + 2 dB to each guitar panned track - L R and 3 dB to lead guitar volume. Show me the mix

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 19 2013, 04:27 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 19 2013, 02:49 PM) *
Now we're getting to the point where details can change everything. Before crushing drums eq let's see some volume tweaks. Now after guitars eq the drums are too loud. Increase the guitars volume (the tone of rhythm guitars is veery good, were fix the leas soon). Add + 2 dB to each guitar panned track - L R and 3 dB to lead guitar volume. Show me the mix

ok man, I just did that,and here's the mix!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 19 2013, 08:36 PM
Instructor
Ok. Now I hear You can make sort of 1dB more in guitars cut (that cut around 500Hz You already did) just cut one more db. Leave thoe volume. The guitars get muddy with the bass. We need to cut off some low end from guitar. Try to turn on the High Pass Filter and move it the the point of 200 Hz (add it for both L and R guitar )

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 20 2013, 05:52 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 19 2013, 07:36 PM) *
Ok. Now I hear You can make sort of 1dB more in guitars cut (that cut around 500Hz You already did) just cut one more db. Leave thoe volume. The guitars get muddy with the bass. We need to cut off some low end from guitar. Try to turn on the High Pass Filter and move it the the point of 200 Hz (add it for both L and R guitar )

ok man, I did what what you said smile.gif here's the sample

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 24 2013, 10:21 AM
Instructor
Please repost the sample - somehow the link doesn't display in the post smile.gif

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 24 2013, 06:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 24 2013, 09:21 AM) *
Please repost the sample - somehow the link doesn't display in the post smile.gif

ooops lol I was waiting for your reply tongue.gif I thought it was attached haha here's the sample I uploaded it to soundcloud because it kept on saying too large to upload lol
https://soundcloud.com/enlo22/sample

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 30 2013, 08:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KKYJD09qCk i like the tone of this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 1 2014, 07:12 PM
Instructor
As You probably noticed is veeery scooped out of mids. You can set this as a reference while while cutting out the mids in Your mix. Sometimes it's done at the mastering stage...so even if You leave too much mids at mixing stage, You can always correct it on the mastering stage. Comparing Your mix to this I can already say You could cut more bass and mids from the guitar. If You still have this 500 Hz eq on each guitar track (rhythm guitars) try to add some extra few dB (2-3) to each track and show me how this sounds.

As for the mentioned bass cut...I would do it with High Pass filter. At the moment Your guitar are too boomy comparing to rest of the mix

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jan 2 2014, 06:55 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 1 2014, 06:12 PM) *
As You probably noticed is veeery scooped out of mids. You can set this as a reference while while cutting out the mids in Your mix. Sometimes it's done at the mastering stage...so even if You leave too much mids at mixing stage, You can always correct it on the mastering stage. Comparing Your mix to this I can already say You could cut more bass and mids from the guitar. If You still have this 500 Hz eq on each guitar track (rhythm guitars) try to add some extra few dB (2-3) to each track and show me how this sounds.

As for the mentioned bass cut...I would do it with High Pass filter. At the moment Your guitar are too boomy comparing to rest of the mix

ok man cool tongue.gif here's what i got

https://soundcloud.com/enlo22/sample

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 2 2014, 11:05 AM
Instructor
Ok it's better but still need to work on that. Can You post a screen of all the EQ setup for guitars?

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jan 2 2014, 06:31 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 2 2014, 10:05 AM) *
Ok it's better but still need to work on that. Can You post a screen of all the EQ setup for guitars?

here's my eq, it's on both guitars

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:15 PM