22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Phil66
Nov 6 2016, 10:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

There must be a limit though, I mean we couldn't pass at 30bpm could we wink.gif tongue.gif

Tell you what I find of though, so far there's been a "natural" speed for me, for example, 140bpm, and I actually struggle to play in time below that, particularly this number 3. I actually thought about setting the time signature to 3/4 in my DAW so I could play one note per best with the luck spread over two bars but that's cheating so I didn't.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 6 2016, 10:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 7 2016, 09:26 PM
Hello Sarge,

I've posted this here not because i think it's good but because I want to show you how far I've got. It's only had about 20 minutes but I thought you should see it so maybe you could advise. I do play a wrong note halfway through and that throws my timing off rolleyes.gif

Cheers buddy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2016, 11:10 PM
GMC:er
This Mission is flat out hard Soldier as it forces you to play in an awkward way, essentially. It requires you to go up the neck, while going down the strings and lead with the Pinky. You look like you have a good grasp on the fundamentals that the Mission is intended to work on but I fear you may be playing it simply too fast. I'd suggest slowing down a bit. Also, due to the way the mission is built, you may want to go to only clicks on your metronome. E.G. only one type of tone for your time keeping instead of the default which is to let the metronome use two separate tones so as to let you know when the time cycle is repeating. As there are 6 notes in this bit, it's an odd thing to time. So just clicks, might help. Also, you can play one note per click. So slow way down, pick a note each time you hear a click and work your way back up. Let me know if this makes sense smile.gif

Good progress Soldier! Keep it up!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 7 2016, 04:26 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

I've posted this here not because i think it's good but because I want to show you how far I've got. It's only had about 20 minutes but I thought you should see it so maybe you could advise. I do play a wrong note halfway through and that throws my timing off rolleyes.gif

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 8 2016, 11:15 PM
Thanks Todd

It makes sense, I was just trying to keep it musically correct in 4/4 really. I'll look at how to alter the metronome times in Reaper next time.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2016, 12:55 AM
No worries smile.gif You can use any app you like as a metronome. Some metronome apps and even web metronomes are quite simple and will often let you use just clicks for example by ticking a check box or something. For some missions, having only a single tone makes the entire bit a tinge easier to play as some of the missions feel odd in 4/4 even though they fit in 4/4. smile.gif

I think it will be a bit simpler at a less brisk pace. I'm thinking your next vid will be a Badger FO SHO!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 8 2016, 06:15 PM) *
Thanks Todd

It makes sense, I was just trying to keep it musically correct in 4/4 really. I'll look at how to alter the metronome times in Reaper next time.

Cheers buddy

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 9 2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks Todd

I guess that was my thinking about setting the metronome to 3/4 time, then the first note on each string would be accented. Hope that makes sense but i will go for just a single tone click track next time.

Cheers bud.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2016, 12:53 PM
Whatever works best for you is fine for me as well smile.gif Just offering some tips to try out is all. You are very close on the vid you put up, I'd say you are probably ready to BADGE UP if you are ready to shoot again smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 9 2016, 11:10 AM) *
Thanks Todd

I guess that was my thinking about setting the metronome to 3/4 time, then the first note on each string would be accented. Hope that makes sense but i will go for just a single tone click track next time.

Cheers bud.

I've been teaching here more than half a decade and have never run in to the problem of a student playing amazingly slow. It just seems abnormal evidently so students just never have done it in bootcamp. But if a bit required you to play it at 30 bpm in order to play it well, I wouldn't complain smile.gif Just by watching the vid I can tell if somebody is playing well below their potential or pushing a bit beyond their current ability. So it usually works out smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 6 2016, 05:23 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

There must be a limit though, I mean we couldn't pass at 30bpm could we wink.gif tongue.gif

Tell you what I find of though, so far there's been a "natural" speed for me, for example, 140bpm, and I actually struggle to play in time below that, particularly this number 3. I actually thought about setting the time signature to 3/4 in my DAW so I could play one note per best with the luck spread over two bars but that's cheating so I didn't.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2017, 01:37 PM
Sarge,

I have been MIA and completely neglected my duties since early November. I really struggle to fit these exercises in. Partly because I'm not a repetitive drill kinda person but I am going to try again. I had my first practise this morning since November so here is my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfheUmlHni0

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2017, 04:41 PM
Well Fought Soldier!!! Drills are something that can be a bit repetitive (No pun intended) for sure. You don't have to practice them with an amp/plugin or even metronome. Once your fingers know the pattern, you can take your guitar in to the den and watch a movie/tv whatever, and just loop the drill. Once the patter is locked in to your brain, it's just a matter of repetition, I used to pick a scale, memorize it, then watch my fave movie of the moment a couple of times while playing it back and forth. It worked well for me, but may not work well for you, but it's worth a shot smile.gif It certainly took the drudgery out of it when I didn't feel like running scales for a couple of hours.

Eventually, these techniques, become simple second nature and you won't even have to think about them. They will just happen. Getting to that point is what Bootcamp is for. smile.gif

You did great on this one and I want to push you a bit at this point before we badge you up and throw you in to Mission 4. Try one pass of this Mission DOUBLE PICKED. Just pick every note twice. There is a LOT of multi picking coming up and I want to prep you for it. It will feel odd at first and it doesn't need to be fast, just precise. smile.gif . ONWARD!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 22 2017, 08:37 AM) *
Sarge,

I have been MIA and completely neglected my duties since early November. I really struggle to fit these exercises in. Partly because I'm not a repetitive drill kinda person but I am going to try again. I had my first practise this morning since November so here is my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfheUmlHni0

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2017, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 22 2017, 03:41 PM) *
I used to pick a scale, memorize it, then watch my fave movie of the moment a couple of times while playing it back and forth. It worked well for me, but may not work well for you, but it's worth a shot smile.gif It certainly took the drudgery out of it when I didn't feel like running scales for a couple of hours.

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I don't get time to watch a film once never mind twice biggrin.gif I get in from work at around 17:30, I have my dinner, I sit and watch the news and chat with my wife until around 19:00-19:30 then I enter my man cave until around 20:30-21:00. I then go and spend an hour or so with my wife. We usually go to bed around 22:00-22:30 as I am up again at 06:00 to leave for work.

I hope this explains why I don't progress very quickly. Weekends we are out living, visiting historic towns and villages, or away for the weekend at a seaside town. Sometimes I manage to get up early and have a practise before we go out but mostly it's the 90-120 minutes in the evening.

Here is the double picked version you asked for buddy smile.gif I hope it's ok, I still struggle to palm mute the strings with this string crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH9B6dkY2Jk

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2017, 10:09 PM
Well fought Soldier!! Time is the enemy as they say!! In your case it's a serious and vicious enemy! With your schedule your progress is more than I'd expect so your doing just fine IMHO smile.gif

The muting while traversing strings is what makes this Mission such a pain in the neck. Then to boot, I added Multi picking which makes some things even more of a pain in the neck smile.gif Put together it's great practice on traverse and muting whether picking once or twice per string.

Let's Debrief!!

CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You are ripping it up!! You are a more advanced player than I expected. Keep killing it!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control during traverse.

2.)Good Palm Mute all the way through.

3.)Aggressive style and solid pacing.

You really tore it up here soldier!! And with quick turn around!! Welcome to the fun world of Multi Picking smile.gif

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 22 2017, 04:13 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I don't get time to watch a film once never mind twice biggrin.gif I get in from work at around 17:30, I have my dinner, I sit and watch the news and chat with my wife until around 19:00-19:30 then I enter my man cave until around 20:30-21:00. I then go and spend an hour or so with my wife. We usually go to bed around 22:00-22:30 as I am up again at 06:00 to leave for work.

I hope this explains why I don't progress very quickly. Weekends we are out living, visiting historic towns and villages, or away for the weekend at a seaside town. Sometimes I manage to get up early and have a practise before we go out but mostly it's the 90-120 minutes in the evening.

Here is the double picked version you asked for buddy smile.gif I hope it's ok, I still struggle to palm mute the strings with this string crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH9B6dkY2Jk

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2017, 10:14 PM
Hello Sarge,

Reporting for duty.

Mission: Drill 4. Total practise time 10 minutes. Recorded for assessment. Current issue: Palm muting on thin strings.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 28 2017, 11:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2017, 11:46 PM
You are on the right track here Soldier smile.gif The reason the high strings are selected is to try to force your left hand in to a position where it's able to mute the high strings while you pick them. This is NOT an easy technique. You may need to slow down a bit and focus more on articulating the pick with thumb and finger while resting the back of your palm on the bridge. Think of your hand as the hands of a clock and middle of you back side palm rest/mute, as the center of the clock around which the hands of time spin. Allow your fingers to shift/tilt forward a bit so that you can maintain your full mute on the bridge. This will feel very very very odd at first. It's not something you will always need to do. It's just something I'm trying to teach with this particular Mission.

I notice you seem to be going a bit too far perhaps beyond the "String Threshold" e.g. the point at which the pick passes the string and comes closer to the body of the guitar. Try to keep as much distance from the guitar and the tip of your pick as possible. E.G. Just barely dig in enough to strike the string with the very tip of your pointy (assuming your using a pointy /stiff pick) tip on your pick. This will reduce the recovery time between strikes.

I hope all that made sense. Please let me know smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 28 2017, 05:14 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Reporting for duty.

Mission: Drill 4. Total practise time 10 minutes. Recorded for assessment. Current issue: Palm muting on thin strings.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 29 2017, 12:54 AM
Thanks Todd,

It kinda makes sense. I'll keep trying when I get spare time. That take was after only ten minutes practice.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2017, 12:58 AM
Watch the vid that goes with this mission and especially toward the end where it shows my picking hand. I"d be happy to make another vid if need be, just let me know smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 28 2017, 07:54 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

It kinda makes sense. I'll keep trying when I get spare time. That take was after only ten minutes practice.

Cheers buddy

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 29 2017, 09:55 PM
Is the "left" hand comment correct Todd? I'm not being a pedant, just clarifying because I know some use the left hand to mute adjacent strings.

I can see a mechanical reason for it being difficult too. Unlike the wound strings, the unwound strings sit low in the groove of the saddle so it's hard to roll your fleshy part of your palm onto a sweet spot. The wound strings sit just above the saddle making it much easier. I am either killing the note, making it buzz or just picking it cleanly with my palm away from the string, the last way is the way I can play it fastest.

UPDATE::
I've stained some muscles in my forearm doing drill 4 so have to rest my arm.

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 28 2017, 10:46 PM) *
The reason the high strings are selected is to try to force your left hand in to a position where it's able to mute the high strings while you pick them.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 29 2017, 11:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2017, 11:46 PM
I'm an idiot. I"m talking about the RIGHT hand, the picking hand. Planted on the bridge and just sort of turning a bit to reach high and low strings smile.gif

Forget playing "fast". Just try to do this Mission with your right/picking hand flat on the bridge smile.gif I know it's not easy. It's not meant to be. It's just a Mission to train your picking hand, nothing else. Being able to not over mute, and not under mute, takes time and practice. you can take your fretting hand off the guitar and just practice picking high e to low e if that helps. The picking hand is really the big point of this Mission.

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 29 2017, 04:55 PM) *
Is the "left" hand comment correct Todd? I'm not being a pedant, just clarifying because I know some use the left hand to mute adjacent strings.

I can see a mechanical reason for it being difficult too. Unlike the wound strings, the unwound strings sit low in the groove of the saddle so it's hard to roll your fleshy part of your palm onto a sweet spot. The wound strings sit just above the saddle making it much easier. I am either killing the note, making it buzz or just picking it cleanly with my palm away from the string, the last way is the way I can play it fastest.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2017, 10:18 PM
Sarge,

Been doing my drill. Here are two videos for assessment.

Thanks

Private Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFbF-T2enQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEap4NjxN8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2017, 03:02 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! You are getting the hang of this. I still suspect your pick may be breaking the plane of the string just a pinch to far as it's causing your fingers to have to pull the pick back before making your next strike.

The good news is that you have a good handle on a very difficult muting technique. I know it feels odd. It's natural for it to feel odd smile.gif

I know I have been pushing you way harder than normal on this one, but this Mission in particular is the "Gateway Drug" to many things to come. I can tell you have been putting in time on this and I promise you it will be worth it as you go smile.gif Let's debrief!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Planted Right hand, Centered and not drifting, per Drill Instructor.

2.)Steady picking and tight synch between right/left hands.

3.)Solid pacing and consistent muting.

You ticked all the boxes Soldier!!!! I am tempted to have you run DOUBLES on this but I'll save that for next time!! For now you just

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 30 2017, 05:18 PM) *
Sarge,

Been doing my drill. Here are two videos for assessment.

Thanks

Private Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFbF-T2enQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEap4NjxN8

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 31 2017, 07:54 AM
Thank you sarge,

I didn't expect to level up yet. To be honest with you, total practice time on this is no more than 30 minutes. If you want me to hold out on taking the badge and try to improve some more I will.

Cheers

Private Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:48 PM