2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Songs Or Exercises?
GMC_student444
May 23 2008, 12:01 PM
GMC:er
What's best really, doing technique exercises or practice songs where that certain technique you wanna learn is used? I usually here a song and want to learn certain sections in it. Should I try and find good exercises for it or just dive right into learning the song?/ Johnny

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 12:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I find exercises much better option...Best way is to do exercises and than when you get bored with them try to do the songs etc...With exercises you are very much focused on particular technique and they are in repetitive form so you are very efficient..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 12:48 PM
Both to be honest. Practice the exercises and then learn your favourite songs with those exercises and then try and incorporate the exercises and techniques into your own songs.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 23 2008, 01:11 PM
This is what I do when I hear a section I like in a song, first I try to learn it but if I see it's too complicated for me right now, I use a basic exercise of the technique being used(for example, if I want to learn a lick in a Satriani song, more than likely I'll practice a legato exercise), and aftar a while try again, ussually I can learn that troublesome section by than.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 23 2008, 01:14 PM
Get to da Chopper!
The way i see it is:

You hear a song where a certaing technique is used...

You do a bunch of exercises for that technique...

You practise the song in sections over and over...

You reward yourself with the treat of playing the song all the way through cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 23 2008, 01:27 PM
Instructor
Exercises are definitely more effective because you practice structured stuff with metronome. When you practice a song you can divide it into smaller sections and make exercises. That's the way it works generally.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 23 2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor
to start with exercise would be better

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 23 2008, 01:54 PM
QUOTE (Johnny Göthe Norlin @ May 23 2008, 07:01 AM) *
What's best really, doing technique exercises or practice songs where that certain technique you wanna learn is used? I usually here a song and want to learn certain sections in it. Should I try and find good exercises for it or just dive right into learning the song?/ Johnny

I try to go back and forth depending on how much time I have.

I don't generally have the ability to practice for hours at a time but if I have time I usually start with chromatic runs, then into scales, and either work on a GLC lesson or a song. I pretty much always do it in that order, so if I have less time, I'm less likely to get to the music part.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 23 2008, 02:13 PM
The Dark Canuck
I find both to be useful. I've noticed that with the more techniques I learn through exercises the easier I can now recognize them in the songs I want to learn, so it makes the songs easier. The songs make the techniques more fun to learn, it's not so monotonous, and also the songs show how the techniques can be used so it gives me ideas on how to use them. (I hope that made sense)

rok

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 23 2008, 02:21 PM
Lets go fishing!
IMO Excercises are the way to go. This is because if your learning your favorite songs without a solid skill set there going to sound sloppy, and never as good as the original.

Choose exercises from the GMC video archive that match the kind of stuff you want to play! smile.gif

edit:

In addition, many GMC lessons are complete songs! You can practice each technique seperate to build up skills smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: May 23 2008, 02:39 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 04:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
There are lot of song lessons here on GMC , but I was referring on normal songs..I find GMC lessons constructed with particular techniques in mind and they are great exercises for them - but packed in a fun song kind of way smile.gif So basicly fun focused exercises/songs.

Combining both can be a key to success (exercises and songs)..But you should not disregard any of them..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 23 2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with the posts above, I start with exercises, and then watch my ability to play certian passages in songs get better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMC_student444
May 24 2008, 09:11 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 23 2008, 03:21 PM) *
IMO Excercises are the way to go. This is because if your learning your favorite songs without a solid skill set there going to sound sloppy, and never as good as the original.

Choose exercises from the GMC video archive that match the kind of stuff you want to play! smile.gif

edit:

In addition, many GMC lessons are complete songs! You can practice each technique seperate to build up skills smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies.

That's what I've been experiencing and felt in the back of my mind. The "quality" of the certain techniques learned is less than if I would've learned 'em doing exercises to a metronome. Thanks again everyone. Back to practicing. biggrin.gif / Johnny

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 24 2008, 09:30 AM
Lets go fishing!
Awsome !!

I often like to choose lesson that are musical too, this gives the feeling of accomplishing a peice of music as it were. Such examples are Marcus's Winding Roads just for example! smile.gif

Break them down, practice it induvidually with a metronome and you will feel your skills rise!! wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 25 2008, 02:51 AM
Instructor
I prefer to learn the song actually. For me it was easier to learn the techniques when i could play along with the music. I cant remember any time i practiced with just a metronome.

Well, both ways work.. but i can just as well recommend learning the song where the technique is used.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 25 2008, 02:52 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 25 2008, 04:23 AM
Instructor
I guess i am backwards like Trond, i tend to learn the songs as i play along i learn the technique.

For some reason it puts me in a different frame of mind, the music distracts me from thinking too hard and the technique seems to flow faster.

I notice this quite often actually, even melodic excersises. When trying to practice with metronome i mess up quite a bit. But when playing along with a backing track my mind is focused on the music and for some reason its like some sort of Zen moment.

I am not a Buddist btw, but its the only way i could relay what i meant. Somehow the backing distracts me and the excersise just flows. Its weird but thats how i learn best.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 25 2008, 04:47 AM
was going to say something, changed my mind.

edit 2: now changed again. I do lessons. I have a few very difficult songs from earlier that I continue to try and improve. But I won't be doing new songs, probably ever, just lessons. If I do any new songs in the future, I expect it will be on acoustic.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 25 2008, 06:19 AM

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 25 2008, 06:09 PM
Instructor
In my opinion... both 2!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 26 2008, 07:39 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ May 23 2008, 02:11 PM) *
This is what I do when I hear a section I like in a song, first I try to learn it but if I see it's too complicated for me right now, I use a basic exercise of the technique being used(for example, if I want to learn a lick in a Satriani song, more than likely I'll practice a legato exercise), and aftar a while try again, ussually I can learn that troublesome section by than.

That's how I approach it too.
Just doing exercises gets boring to me, but practising a certain techique for a song is more rewarding when you see you get closer and closer to be able to play the song.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 26 2008, 12:23 PM
Instructor
both ways are correct. One interesting thing is to play songs and practice the most difficult parts with some similar exercises wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:38 PM