Emu - 0404 Usb2 Soundcard. Anyone Tried This Interface?
gibsonmatte
Dec 29 2008, 09:28 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

I've spent some time now searching thru the forums for sound interfaces/cards to use for home recording. I have seen lots of recommendations for the Line6 TonePort but at the same time these seem to have some limitations regarding recording with a mic, am I right?

I stumbled upon this one, the EMU - 0404 USB2 Soundcard that is, and would really like your input to this guys!

I will probably buy an external sound interface soon and really need some expert advice before I decide which interface to buy. I will record guitar (acoustic and electric) as well as song. Since this is merely for home use only ( demos and such ) I don't want to spend a fortune on an interface (max 300 € ).

Thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Last FM page
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 02:13 PM
Instructor
Well, 0404USB is definitely better than Toneport. Just to clarify, with Toneport UX1 you can record both microphone and guitar in multitrack (2 channels).

Toneport comes with Gearbox modeling software that has cool presets for guitar, better than 0404USB.

0404USB comes with onboard DSP effects that can be run without using CPU (Gearbox uses CPU). It has better effects, but not so good for guitar, more for music producing.

Still, I would advise to get 0404USB - it is a better device in general, better converters, and better onboard effects. It has very small latency compared to Toneport as well. You can always run Guitar Rig 3 with it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Dec 29 2008, 02:28 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 29 2008, 02:13 PM) *
Well, 0404USB is definitely better than Toneport. Just to clarify, with Toneport UX1 you can record both microphone and guitar in multitrack (2 channels).

Toneport comes with Gearbox modeling software that has cool presets for guitar, better than 0404USB.

0404USB comes with onboard DSP effects that can be run without using CPU (Gearbox uses CPU). It has better effects, but not so good for guitar, more for music producing.

Still, I would advise to get 0404USB - it is a better device in general, better converters, and better onboard effects. It has very small latency compared to Toneport as well. You can always run Guitar Rig 3 with it.

Thanks for the input Ivan!

And while I got your attention Ivan smile.gif, do you have any other recommendations? An interface in the same "price range"?

Thanks!

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 29 2008, 03:15 PM
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Dec 29 2008, 09:28 AM) *
Hi guys!

I've spent some time now searching thru the forums for sound interfaces/cards to use for home recording. I have seen lots of recommendations for the Line6 TonePort but at the same time these seem to have some limitations regarding recording with a mic, am I right?

I stumbled upon this one, the EMU - 0404 USB2 Soundcard that is, and would really like your input to this guys!

I will probably buy an external sound interface soon and really need some expert advice before I decide which interface to buy. I will record guitar (acoustic and electric) as well as song. Since this is merely for home use only ( demos and such ) I don't want to spend a fortune on an interface (max 300 € ).

Thanks in advance!

Well, I have that card. I use the DI out on my tubeamp, into a behringer frequency filter first though.
I am really satisfied,but depending on your skill and gear the toneport may be a better go for now.

I'd need some more info!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 03:20 PM
Instructor
If you wanna record guitar+mic, there is Native Instruments Guitar Rig Session. It can be possibly a better choice then 0404USB cause you get Guitar Rig 3 XE version and Cubase 4 LE for free with it. For 199$, I think it's a great deal. It has solid Cirrus Logic converters and supports up to 24bit/196kHz. You will need a bit better computer for working with it, because Guitar Rig will use CPU processing, but since 0404USB don't have good onboard guitar modeler as well, you would have to use GR3 anyway if you know what I mean, and still use the CPU power. So in the end my vote goes to GR Session.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 29 2008, 03:25 PM
While not familiar with either of those things, I can speka for EMU's sound quality.

I have the 1212m and LOVE it. Sounds awesome!!!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Dec 29 2008, 03:43 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 29 2008, 03:20 PM) *
If you wanna record guitar+mic, there is Native Instruments Guitar Rig Session. It can be possibly a better choice then 0404USB cause you get Guitar Rig 3 XE version and Cubase 4 LE for free with it. For 199$, I think it's a great deal. It has solid Cirrus Logic converters and supports up to 24bit/196kHz. You will need a bit better computer for working with it, because Guitar Rig will use CPU processing, but since 0404USB don't have good onboard guitar modeler as well, you would have to use GR3 anyway if you know what I mean, and still use the CPU power. So in the end my vote goes to GR Session.

Again thanks for the info Ivan. I checked the Guitar Rig 3 and the sounds were awesome! (the examples sound files that I found on native's webpage).

But what about this setup:
- 0404USB
- POD 2 (today I only use this with a small amp and not connected to my laptop)

This will at least be somewhat cheaper smile.gif

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
Washburned
Dec 29 2008, 03:43 PM
wow guys, I have no words , in here only the UX 1 cost about 200$, not to say about the UX2, feels like the whole government against musicians sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 29 2008, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Dec 29 2008, 03:43 PM) *
Again thanks for the info Ivan. I checked the Guitar Rig 3 and the sounds were awesome! (the examples sound files that I found on native's webpage).

But what about this setup:
- 0404USB
- POD 2 (today I only use this with a small amp and not connected to my laptop)

This will at least be somewhat cheaper smile.gif

Sure mate, this setup looks nice to me. You can use it no problem and get great results. As I said EMU0404 is a very good interface, one class above Toneport and similar devices, so 0404+POD2 should definitely be a solid foundation for making excellent home recordings.

Another important thing, just to add. When going through POD and 0404 you will pass through 2 A/D D/A converter sets, one in POD and one in 0404. If I were making a recording chain I would never use two converter sets. What this means is that if you go through POD first, it will cancel out the good quality converters that 0404 has. Remember, 0404 has 96kHz conversion, while POD has 48 max. This doesn't mean that you cannot work like this, I'm just saying that I would try to avoid it. In that case what I would do is eliminate the POD device, and use Guitar Rig 3 for post processing for some quality recordings. For some fast plug&play recording stuff, POD+0404 sounds like a good idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Washburned
Dec 29 2008, 04:08 PM
sorry for interrupting , but is there any affective difference from the regular 0404 and the 0404USB ?

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Dec 29 2008, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Washburned @ Dec 29 2008, 04:08 PM) *
sorry for interrupting , but is there any affective difference from the regular 0404 and the 0404USB ?

I think Ivan can correct me on this one but as far as I see it the difference from 0404 and the 0404USB is that the 0404USB is an external interface that uses to USB to connect to the PC/Mac.

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
Washburned
Dec 29 2008, 05:06 PM
alright , I hope it's the only difference wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 01:04 AM
Instructor
0404 PCI card doesn't have preamps, and 0404USB has 2 preamps built in. USB mark means that it uses USB 2.0 port for data transfer. The chip, converters and DSP effects are the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rhoads
May 30 2010, 03:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi everybody !
I'm bringing this back to life. Hope I get a quick answer because I about to get a bargain with this kind of sound card.

So, out of what I read this audio interface should be enough for home recording.
Basically I want to use Guitar Rig or Amplitube for guitar effects but for this I need a good sound card because the onboard one is not good.

OK so far, but I read this review: http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU0404
which says that "The guitar input is crap. This is no real Hi-Z input!".

First of all can anybody comment on that (from your won experience) ?

Second, and this is what I'm actually trying to find out, Do I even need this Hi-Z input feature to work good considering the fact that I will use Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

I am trying to clarify if this Hi-Z input is needed only if you want to use the effects that the sound card has incorporated or also if you use Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

And another thing, are there any sound cards that can take from the load of CPU when using guitar software. So, Amplitube (or guitar rig) will not use the CPU so much (and slow down the computer), but instead, will use the sound card. (somehow, it its is possible).

Waiting for your answers. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 30 2010, 07:15 PM
Instructor
So, out of what I read this audio interface should be enough for home recording.
Basically I want to use Guitar Rig or Amplitube for guitar effects but for this I need a good sound card because the onboard one is not good.

Correct

OK so far, but I read this review: http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU0404
which says that "The guitar input is crap. This is no real Hi-Z input!".

First of all can anybody comment on that (from your won experience) ?

Didn't test that device in person with instrument, but if the manufacturer says clearly on the site there IS Hi-Z input, and it says so in the manual, than there IS a Hi-Z input. I'm sure manufacturers word is stronger than anonymous comment on the web.

Second, and this is what I'm actually trying to find out, Do I even need this Hi-Z input feature to work good considering the fact that I will use Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

Yes. Hi-Z input means that impedance is rated high, because the signal impedance from instrument is higher than other sources such as microphone or line-level sources. There can be potential damage and tone change if you mismatch the impedance. However, there are cheap DI Box devices that fix this problem, even if you do not have Hi-Z input. DI Boxes have hi impedance line level inputs and turn it to low impedance, mic level outputs.

I am trying to clarify if this Hi-Z input is needed only if you want to use the effects that the sound card has incorporated or also if you use Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

It's clear now I hope. Software modelers work with digital signal, not analog, so they don't care how the signal was at the input - they only work in digital domain - with what passes digital converters on audio card.

And another thing, are there any sound cards that can take from the load of CPU when using guitar software. So, Amplitube (or guitar rig) will not use the CPU so much (and slow down the computer), but instead, will use the sound card. (somehow, it its is possible).

Yes, the CPU will handle these apps much better if the card is faster and has it's own audio processor. This doesn't mean the software modeler workload will be processed with audio card processor, it means audio card has more resources, and it takes off some load out of CPU, so it can perform more stable. If you want to work with modern modelers like GR4, ReValver MKIII or Amplitube 3 (specially within projects), you need at least latest generation dual core processor for comfort DAW work and minimum of 3GB RAM (quad core with minimum 4GB RAM would perform much better tho).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 30 2010, 07:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rhoads
May 31 2010, 07:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you for your prompt and detailed answer ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 06:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (rhoads @ May 31 2010, 08:52 AM) *

If you got a bargain for it you should get it since its a very good quality sound card interface. You could use it with no problems with software modelers etc...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2010, 09:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rhoads @ May 31 2010, 08:52 AM) *

You're welcome my friend. Let me know if you need any more help! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rhoads
Jul 27 2010, 07:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I finally bought it. That wasn't a bargain anymore but I waited for another one.

For anyone that is interested to buy it, this sound card KICKS ARSE smile.gif

Especially if you get it at half price biggrin.gif.

Thanks for all the info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 28 2010, 06:06 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (rhoads @ Jul 27 2010, 08:21 PM) *
I finally bought it. That wasn't a bargain anymore but I waited for another one.

For anyone that is interested to buy it, this sound card KICKS ARSE smile.gif

Especially if you get it at half price biggrin.gif.

Thanks for all the info.

Congrats on getting it! Now you will be hearing/recording some high quality music! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:16 PM