> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

Darkwaveriffer's Modern Music Workshop
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2012, 10:45 AM
Instructor
Hey man! biggrin.gif first of all I would like to tell you that this is your own mentoring thread and we are free to discuss here and post materials wink.gif

Second, I would like to ask you if you would like to focus this thread on the styles of music which you have told me about, or if you thought about other things regarding guitar playing as well smile.gif the more you tell me what you want, the better we can work together wink.gif

all the best

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 24 2012, 12:46 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 24 2012, 04:45 AM) *
Hey man! biggrin.gif first of all I would like to tell you that this is your own mentoring thread and we are free to discuss here and post materials wink.gif

Second, I would like to ask you if you would like to focus this thread on the styles of music which you have told me about, or if you thought about other things regarding guitar playing as well smile.gif the more you tell me what you want, the better we can work together wink.gif

all the best

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
I would like to focus on the styles of music we talked about. IF you get a chance check out 10 Years. That's a great band. I put them in the same category as Dead Letter Circus. I am willing to start out as simple as needed. Thanks for taking me under your wing! I am committed. I can also put at least an hour a day in, more on the weekend. 2-3 hours on the weekends. I am sure I will play more, as I really want to get good.

btw what do I need to focus on to become a killer guitarist?

Thanks,

DWR

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2012, 10:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 24 2012, 11:46 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,
I would like to focus on the styles of music we talked about. IF you get a chance check out 10 Years. That's a great band. I put them in the same category as Dead Letter Circus. I am willing to start out as simple as needed. Thanks for taking me under your wing! I am committed. I can also put at least an hour a day in, more on the weekend. 2-3 hours on the weekends. I am sure I will play more, as I really want to get good.

btw what do I need to focus on to become a killer guitarist?

Thanks,

DWR

MAAAN biggrin.gif 10 years is in my top 5 fav bands biggrin.gif mate, we're gonna have a jolly good time together smile.gif To become a killer guitarist, you have to become able to fully express yourself and not try to sound like others.

For instance this is my approach: trying to learn from everyone and everywhere, every style is nice and interesting smile.gif

You should be able to combine theoretical knowledge with soul and heart and technique so that the music inside you becomes a language you can speak like your mother tongue.

In my opinion it is very good to focus on the following elements:

- right hand technique - strumming/ riffing/ Alternate picking
- left hand technique - legato and articulation (bending/ vibrato)
- theory
- rhythm
- ear training

After that, phrasing combines all these smile.gif

I would suggest picking out lessons dealing with these concepts and then learning them plus the theory behind them. Once you master them, I will help you take them up one level by thinking together of ways in which you can develop the lessons at hand in your own direction wink.gif

what do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 25 2012, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 24 2012, 04:57 PM) *
MAAAN biggrin.gif 10 years is in my top 5 fav bands biggrin.gif mate, we're gonna have a jolly good time together smile.gif To become a killer guitarist, you have to become able to fully express yourself and not try to sound like others.

For instance this is my approach: trying to learn from everyone and everywhere, every style is nice and interesting smile.gif

You should be able to combine theoretical knowledge with soul and heart and technique so that the music inside you becomes a language you can speak like your mother tongue.

In my opinion it is very good to focus on the following elements:

- right hand technique - strumming/ riffing/ Alternate picking
- left hand technique - legato and articulation (bending/ vibrato)
- theory
- rhythm
- ear training

After that, phrasing combines all these smile.gif

I would suggest picking out lessons dealing with these concepts and then learning them plus the theory behind them. Once you master them, I will help you take them up one level by thinking together of ways in which you can develop the lessons at hand in your own direction wink.gif

what do you think?

Cosmin

Hi,
Right now I am doing Ben's Bushidos Task 1. With the alternate picking exercise. I just got a nice webcam so I will be putting up some stuff of my playing. I can come up with some cool ideas, I just can't further develop them to full blown songs. So what do suggest as far as practicing those areas you outlined above? I want to move my playing forward, I don't want to get trapped in a loop where I am not progressing, and staying the same. I did work with guitar teacher today, I asked him to record some stuff I can play along with, some cool Rhythms mixed with some lead, slides, hammer ons, and pull offs. I will post my progress as well. I just need to get over my camera shyness first lol. I have the face for radio. lol

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2012, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 25 2012, 03:03 AM) *
Hi,
Right now I am doing Ben's Bushidos Task 1. With the alternate picking exercise. I just got a nice webcam so I will be putting up some stuff of my playing. I can come up with some cool ideas, I just can't further develop them to full blown songs. So what do suggest as far as practicing those areas you outlined above? I want to move my playing forward, I don't want to get trapped in a loop where I am not progressing, and staying the same. I did work with guitar teacher today, I asked him to record some stuff I can play along with, some cool Rhythms mixed with some lead, slides, hammer ons, and pull offs. I will post my progress as well. I just need to get over my camera shyness first lol. I have the face for radio. lol

Mornin' mate! Recording yourself will prove more beneficial than you think wink.gif and it will allow me to see how you play and sound like.

If you practice musical contexts and then try to apply the concepts learned in your own musical contexts you will only keep moving forward. What would you think about starting with some rhythmic concepts? It's always great to come up with chunky riffage tongue.gif when do you think you could post some recordings?

Please take a look over this lesson here and tell me if it's too difficult, k? It implies combining octaves with palm muting which are two of the most important elements in riffing smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/metal-...ms-with-octave/

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 25 2012, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2012, 02:23 AM) *
Mornin' mate! Recording yourself will prove more beneficial than you think wink.gif and it will allow me to see how you play and sound like.

If you practice musical contexts and then try to apply the concepts learned in your own musical contexts you will only keep moving forward. What would you think about starting with some rhythmic concepts? It's always great to come up with chunky riffage tongue.gif when do you think you could post some recordings?

Please take a look over this lesson here and tell me if it's too difficult, k? It implies combining octaves with palm muting which are two of the most important elements in riffing smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/metal-...ms-with-octave/

Cosmin

Wow, I know I say I want to stay away from alternate tunings, but that lesson sounds freaking awesome. I have done some octave work. It doesn't look too difficult.

I will be posting soon. I will try posting today. I know I need to just get over my camera shyness. I am not yet comfortable playing in front of people, and I know that needs to change if I want to play out. I might just tune one of my guitars to Drop D, and leave it like that.

Thanks for sharing this awesome lesson!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor
My pleasure mate! Let me know if you encounter difficulties along the way! smile.gif remember: focus on timing, tightness, and be as rhythmic as possible, k?

Cosmin

QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 25 2012, 04:38 PM) *
Wow, I know I say I want to stay away from alternate tunings, but that lesson sounds freaking awesome. I have done some octave work. It doesn't look too difficult.

I will be posting soon. I will try posting today. I know I need to just get over my camera shyness. I am not yet comfortable playing in front of people, and I know that needs to change if I want to play out. I might just tune one of my guitars to Drop D, and leave it like that.

Thanks for sharing this awesome lesson!

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 26 2012, 06:39 AM
Ok, So I started working on the first part of that exercise. I am having a problem with scratch portion (XX), kind of sounds like a harmonic. Also I notice the guys right hand is moving in a rhythmic motion, and mine isn't as fluid. I will make a recording tomorrow. I did more work on task 1. I have the sequence down, I will be uploading my progress on that as well.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2012, 02:01 PM) *
My pleasure mate! Let me know if you encounter difficulties along the way! smile.gif remember: focus on timing, tightness, and be as rhythmic as possible, k?

Cosmin

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 26 2012, 05:39 AM) *
Ok, So I started working on the first part of that exercise. I am having a problem with scratch portion (XX), kind of sounds like a harmonic. Also I notice the guys right hand is moving in a rhythmic motion, and mine isn't as fluid. I will make a recording tomorrow. I did more work on task 1. I have the sequence down, I will be uploading my progress on that as well.

Mornin mate smile.gif the scratch portion is supposed to be played while the left hand blocks the strings - try to touch the strings in that spot while holding all your fingers together and lightly touching the strings. This technique will be encountered everywhere in rhythm playing from metal to funk smile.gif

Take your time with this and I'll be looking forward to the videos wink.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 29 2012, 01:38 AM
Hey Cosmin,
I did a recording of the metal rhythm with octaves. I am having a hard time adding the scratch harmonic into it. I can do it seperately, but not together. I just need to practice more.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/6K0v6Gap77w

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2012, 03:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 29 2012, 12:38 AM) *
Hey Cosmin,
I did a recording of the metal rhythm with octaves. I am having a hard time adding the scratch harmonic into it. I can do it seperately, but not together. I just need to practice more.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/6K0v6Gap77w

Hey mate smile.gif the secret behind this idea lies in the fact that you don't get to keep the hand long enough in one spot in order to transform the scratch into a note which actually has some unwanted overtones in it. Scratch in a place where the natural harmonics are missing smile.gif Search for it on the neck and make sure it's as close as possible to the place where you have to play the next 'heard' note. Try this and please, try to play the whole riff against a metronome so that you may become aware of the first beat in each bar so to say. In metal, this is very important! And as well, please try to play against a backing track provided with the lesson at the SLOWEST tempo available and record like that - I am curious to see how you are feeling the pulse of this piece smile.gif do we have a deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 2 2012, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 31 2012, 09:09 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif the secret behind this idea lies in the fact that you don't get to keep the hand long enough in one spot in order to transform the scratch into a note which actually has some unwanted overtones in it. Scratch in a place where the natural harmonics are missing smile.gif Search for it on the neck and make sure it's as close as possible to the place where you have to play the next 'heard' note. Try this and please, try to play the whole riff against a metronome so that you may become aware of the first beat in each bar so to say. In metal, this is very important! And as well, please try to play against a backing track provided with the lesson at the SLOWEST tempo available and record like that - I am curious to see how you are feeling the pulse of this piece smile.gif do we have a deal?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
I don't know how I missed this. I will practice like you have instructed. It's interesting how you mentioned about being in tune with the first beat of each bar. I never thought of it like this.

Thanks!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 2 2012, 05:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 2 2012, 12:51 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,
I don't know how I missed this. I will practice like you have instructed. It's interesting how you mentioned about being in tune with the first beat of each bar. I never thought of it like this.

Thanks!

No problem mate wink.gif in Romania, me and a few friends of mine are having a cult regarding the first beat laugh.gif it's incredibly effective to feel it when you're playing rock and metal!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 3 2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Cosmin,

So I practiced 1.5 hours today on Metal Rhythm with Octaves.
I went through and added all the up/down strokes, and worked on getting that correct.
I was so surprised how I started to get it, and I felt my hands becoming less dumb. I have played through the whole peice, and it now seems very doable to me. I will record on Wednesday when I don't have my daughter, maybe I will do it tuesday, but my hands are full with her until she goes to sleep usually.

One thing I would like to know is how do I get the tone used in that exercise? I have a Fender GDEC 3 15. I can get custom tones.

Also I think I have put about maybe 3 hours into this, give or take some breaks, so less than 3 hours. I am pretty happy how far I have come with this. I am hoping given the time I put into this, then techniques I learn will transfer into my guitar playing as a whole. If I can get sounding close to what the real exercise sounds like, then that to me is progress. I have to believe it does improve my guitar playing as a whole.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2012, 03:34 PM
Instructor
hey mate! It really DOES improve your playing as a whole smile.gif all the things which you are learning in this lesson, will become part of your arsenal and if you master them now, they will only prove worthier later!

Regarding the tone, the Fender GDEC is your amp? How are you planning to record, mic or line out?

Let me know!

Cosmin

QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 3 2012, 05:03 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,

So I practiced 1.5 hours today on Metal Rhythm with Octaves.
I went through and added all the up/down strokes, and worked on getting that correct.
I was so surprised how I started to get it, and I felt my hands becoming less dumb. I have played through the whole peice, and it now seems very doable to me. I will record on Wednesday when I don't have my daughter, maybe I will do it tuesday, but my hands are full with her until she goes to sleep usually.

One thing I would like to know is how do I get the tone used in that exercise? I have a Fender GDEC 3 15. I can get custom tones.

Also I think I have put about maybe 3 hours into this, give or take some breaks, so less than 3 hours. I am pretty happy how far I have come with this. I am hoping given the time I put into this, then techniques I learn will transfer into my guitar playing as a whole. If I can get sounding close to what the real exercise sounds like, then that to me is progress. I have to believe it does improve my guitar playing as a whole.

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 4 2012, 03:48 AM
I have a camcorder, I was planning on taping live out the of the amp, until I get a better laptop.
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 3 2012, 09:34 AM) *
hey mate! It really DOES improve your playing as a whole smile.gif all the things which you are learning in this lesson, will become part of your arsenal and if you master them now, they will only prove worthier later!

Regarding the tone, the Fender GDEC is your amp? How are you planning to record, mic or line out?

Let me know!

Cosmin

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2012, 10:10 PM
Instructor
Oh so the sound from the cam will be what I shall hear - ok, let's see how it goes and we'll take it from there wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 5 2012, 07:16 AM
Hi Cosmin,
I worked about an hour and half today on that piece. It was a bit frustrating. I am usually a little more fluid than what you are seeing. I think partly nervousness, and tired. I will put more time in tomorrow. The sound is pretty good. Thanks!

This post has been edited by DarkWaveRiffer: Apr 5 2012, 07:18 AM

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2012, 09:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 5 2012, 06:16 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,
I worked about an hour and half today on that piece. It was a bit frustrating. I am usually a little more fluid than what you are seeing. I think partly nervousness, and tired. I will put more time in tomorrow. The sound is pretty good. Thanks!

hey mate, it won't let me see it smile.gif can you please check if all the youtube settings were properly made?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 5 2012, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 5 2012, 12:46 PM
I had to convert the MTS file to MP4. This should work now. This one is taking me some time to get. I don't have it all the way through. I have some sticking points. Once I can atleast play it all the way through I can work on timing more. The octaves are frustrating, and the 1-3 XXX 1-3 1-3 1-3 002 progression is messing me up.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM