> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Darkwaveriffer's Modern Music Workshop
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 17 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Dec 15 2012, 10:09 PM) *
Great pick Cosmin, I pretty much have it memorized as of yesterday after a couple of hours. Now I am playing it in Guitar Pro, a chunk at a time,stopping it and trying to reproduce the same rhythm on my guitar. I can even hear most of the song in my head, so it helps with playing it. It looks like the picking is all AP.I will do a recording of my progress at the end of the day. It won't have the backing track, just me playing. I am not ready for the backing track yet. Thanks.

Hey mate! It's good to hear that it's going ok! smile.gif If you record, please record against the metronome and by all means, prepare the questions you might have and bring them on in this Thursday's v-chat session smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 17 2012, 04:30 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 17 2012, 02:55 AM) *
Hey mate! It's good to hear that it's going ok! smile.gif If you record, please record against the metronome and by all means, prepare the questions you might have and bring them on in this Thursday's v-chat session smile.gif

Cosmin

Great, I can clearly hear the song in my head, so when I play it, I can tell if I am off, I will start using the metronome.

My first step was memorizing the notes, in hind sight, I should have chunked it, this would have carried the rhythm with it.
Because once I memorized the noted, and chunked it. It took a bit of work, to re memorize it rhythmically.
I used Guitar Pro to mimic the rhythm, and how it should sound.
I also replayed the GMC video quite a few times. I notice he adds some embellishments.
When I add the metronome, I know it should be set to 4/4, what I don't know if I will be playing off or not, until I slow it down to see how it lines up with the tab, or map out the up/down strokes on the tab.

My local teacher said if you look at down picking as your down beats, and up picking as the up beat, in between the down beats, that after awhile you will know if you are in time or not, you will feel it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 20 2012, 12:31 PM
Instructor
Hey there mate - I see what you're struggling with - tell me do you have any knowledge regarding rhythmic subdivisions? This should help out with becoming more and more independent from tabs and all sorts of 'crutches' in your playing.

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 22 2012, 04:50 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 20 2012, 06:31 AM) *
Hey there mate - I see what you're struggling with - tell me do you have any knowledge regarding rhythmic subdivisions? This should help out with becoming more and more independent from tabs and all sorts of 'crutches' in your playing.

You mean?? "In the basement bars, in the backs of cars, be cool or be cast out!" That kind?? j/k

No, I have never heard of it, I googled it, and I still don't understand it.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Dec 22 2012, 03:50 AM) *
You mean?? "In the basement bars, in the backs of cars, be cool or be cast out!" That kind?? j/k

No, I have never heard of it, I googled it, and I still don't understand it.

smile.gif I am talking about whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eight notes, 16th notes, triplets and such - the basics of rhythm smile.gif Once you get a good grasp on them your world will change. A bar in a song can be divided into rhythmic subdivisions as follows:

1 whole note
2 half notes
4 quarter notes
8 8th notes
16 16th notes

All the above notes are equal - does this sound familiar?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 24 2012, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 22 2012, 05:44 PM) *
smile.gif I am talking about whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eight notes, 16th notes, triplets and such - the basics of rhythm smile.gif Once you get a good grasp on them your world will change. A bar in a song can be divided into rhythmic subdivisions as follows:

1 whole note
2 half notes
4 quarter notes
8 8th notes
16 16th notes

All the above notes are equal - does this sound familiar?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
Yes I never heard it called this, but yes I am familiar it.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2012, 10:29 AM
Instructor
Well now, mate, if you learn how to recognize these, you will never struggle with rhythm ever smile.gif

We can try the following exercise:

1) Pick up your metronome and set it to 60 BPM, quarter notes.
2) Play the following things against its beat:

- 1 whole note
- 2 half notes
- 4 quarter notes
- 8 8th notes
- 16 16th notes

This means you will have 5 bars, each of them having a different rhythmic subdivision played in its complete duration.

Can you record a little video doing this and of course, let me know if there's anything unclear regarding the task at hand smile.gif

All the best,

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 29 2012, 08:04 AM
Hey Cos,

So I have been out of town for the holidays, but I took my guitar with me. I have been practicing the blues scale exercise you gave me. I can play it at normal speed along with Bear now. I's playing against the backing track only that loses me.

As far as the subdivision exercise. I am not sure what you mean play against its beat, you mean with the beat?
For example:
Whole note I will pluck on the first beat and let it ring for 3 beats.
Half notes, I will pluck on the first, and third beats.
quarter notes, every beat
eighth notes = 2 for every beat
sixteenth = 4 for every beat.

Hope you are having a great holiday!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 26 2012, 04:29 AM) *
Well now, mate, if you learn how to recognize these, you will never struggle with rhythm ever smile.gif

We can try the following exercise:

1) Pick up your metronome and set it to 60 BPM, quarter notes.
2) Play the following things against its beat:

- 1 whole note
- 2 half notes
- 4 quarter notes
- 8 8th notes
- 16 16th notes

This means you will have 5 bars, each of them having a different rhythmic subdivision played in its complete duration.

Can you record a little video doing this and of course, let me know if there's anything unclear regarding the task at hand smile.gif

All the best,

Cosmin

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 29 2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Hope you had a great holiday too! Yes, yes, yes biggrin.gif That's exactly what I want you to do smile.gif

It looks like you can differentiate them already, but by playing you will be able to feel them in the music - this is what I want to achieve with you at this point - being able to recognize rhythmic subdivisions in various musical phrases and contexts smile.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 31 2012, 06:55 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 29 2012, 02:57 AM) *
Hey man! Hope you had a great holiday too! Yes, yes, yes biggrin.gif That's exactly what I want you to do smile.gif

It looks like you can differentiate them already, but by playing you will be able to feel them in the music - this is what I want to achieve with you at this point - being able to recognize rhythmic subdivisions in various musical phrases and contexts smile.gif

Hey Cos, I think I am starting to get it.
The Blues Scale exercise I can hear the whole thing in my head, I can't wait to get back home Wednesday, and record my progress.
I came across a lesson I really like for solo'ing:https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/rock-solo-beginner/
I already started to tackle it, and it has elements I really want to work on, such as vibrato, bends, pull offs, and prebends.

I will keep you updated.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 31 2012, 08:37 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Great to see you all excited mate! Should I be waiting for a recording on Thursday maybe? tongue.gif

Great choice with the solo lesson - it's a favorite among a lot of people here so I think it's some sort of a milestone tongue.gif I am waiting for your questions regarding this lesson so you can nail it!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 31 2012, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 31 2012, 02:37 AM) *
Hehe! Great to see you all excited mate! Should I be waiting for a recording on Thursday maybe? tongue.gif

Great choice with the solo lesson - it's a favorite among a lot of people here so I think it's some sort of a milestone tongue.gif I am waiting for your questions regarding this lesson so you can nail it!

Cosmin

lol Yeah, I know I have not been making good on getting my recordings in, part of it is fear of criticism. However, I do feel I have the Blues Scale exercise down pretty well, I know there is going to be something I will need to work on to improve it.

The Rock solo lesson - I am having problems with the prebends, vibrato, and prebend, where you after you bend the string up, you pick it and do a bend down, and then do a pull off 10-8, and use vibrato on the 8th fret. That whole sequence is hard, and my fingers hurt from playing a couple hours yesterday working on it.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 1 2013, 06:37 PM
Instructor
mate, this sounds like you are amidst a big battle there smile.gif The more vids you post, the better you will become - never fear criticism - it only helped me evolve each time, regardless of the way it was presented to me smile.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Jan 6 2013, 07:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 1 2013, 12:37 PM) *
mate, this sounds like you are amidst a big battle there smile.gif The more vids you post, the better you will become - never fear criticism - it only helped me evolve each time, regardless of the way it was presented to me smile.gif

Hi Cosmin, Still trying to work out the sound issue with my computer in the chat. I went to my local instructor Joel, and showed him the Blue Scale exercise, and he was impressed with my progress. So I am feeling good about making a recording of it, I have the piece memorized in my head. I just have to do it with the backing track. I can do it playing along with Bear. So I should be able to do it to the backing track.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 6 2013, 07:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Jan 6 2013, 06:37 PM) *
Hi Cosmin, Still trying to work out the sound issue with my computer in the chat. I went to my local instructor Joel, and showed him the Blue Scale exercise, and he was impressed with my progress. So I am feeling good about making a recording of it, I have the piece memorized in my head. I just have to do it with the backing track. I can do it playing along with Bear. So I should be able to do it to the backing track.

Alright! That's great news mate! Well, as I said - don't be shy, send the recording my way, regardless of it's status smile.gif I'm very curious! About the mic level, a set of earphones with a mic attached would help a lot, I think! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Jan 13 2013, 05:59 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 6 2013, 01:56 PM) *
Alright! That's great news mate! Well, as I said - don't be shy, send the recording my way, regardless of it's status smile.gif I'm very curious! About the mic level, a set of earphones with a mic attached would help a lot, I think! smile.gif

Hey Cos, I just got A Samson Meteor Mic. It works great. I am working on the Trond Rock Solo. Joel my local teacher sees that my bends, and vibrato is getting better. I am trying to get things together here so i can make a recording. I imagine video would be better than just audio. I have to get my HD camera set up. I wonder if I could us my HD Camcorder like a webcam? that would make recording a breeze. I will have to look into. So take comfort I am still practicing, and I am staying focused. I will master both exercises. Thanks.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 13 2013, 08:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Jan 13 2013, 04:59 AM) *
Hey Cos, I just got A Samson Meteor Mic. It works great. I am working on the Trond Rock Solo. Joel my local teacher sees that my bends, and vibrato is getting better. I am trying to get things together here so i can make a recording. I imagine video would be better than just audio. I have to get my HD camera set up. I wonder if I could us my HD Camcorder like a webcam? that would make recording a breeze. I will have to look into. So take comfort I am still practicing, and I am staying focused. I will master both exercises. Thanks.

Hey DWR! Thanks for dropping by to let me know what you're up to wink.gif Yes of course, if you use the HD Cam, the results will be much nicer biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Jan 22 2013, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 13 2013, 02:38 AM) *
Hey DWR! Thanks for dropping by to let me know what you're up to wink.gif Yes of course, if you use the HD Cam, the results will be much nicer biggrin.gif

Hi Cos,
I learned 5 positions of A minor pentatonic scale yesterday. I have been hearing how important it is to learn. I watched a whole season of Falling Skies, and learned positions 2-5 yesterday.I already knew the first position.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Hey DWR! Very good smile.gif What else are you up to lately? I was curious if you had that recording ready for me wink.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Feb 1 2013, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 08:55 AM) *
Hey DWR! Very good smile.gif What else are you up to lately? I was curious if you had that recording ready for me wink.gif

Hi Cos,

As promised.

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveriffer

I added two C Major Studies, A ballad Improv, and Rock Riff.

I hit some sour notes in the ballad because I was noodling around. The sound sucks, but I think I wil take some of the key licks in the ballad and make a better recording.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:23 PM