2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bad Thing Had To Happen Now
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 01:13 AM
Instructor
After 3 years of constantly being ON, my computer died today smile.gif Now I am typing from my laptop. Looks like motherboard gives no sign of life after I cleaned the dust from it with the vacuum cleaner. It was a very cool and stable system built by me. Pentium 4 on 3.00 GHz, 2 GB ram and many internal and external devices. That machine was never turned off, even when I went on holiday. Maybe that's why it died in the end.

So tomorrow I am going to get something new for about £500. What do you guys suggest? I will have to use Windows 7 as no shop distributes anything else in London. I have EMU 0404 PCI soundcard and I am quite scared that it might not work. Some people on DAW forums reported that it works and some not. Win 7 drivers are not released yet. It took them a year to develop for Vista. It is going to be very bad if the new motherboard doesn't support my 512mb ATI graphic card, as I used 2 monitors on it. All this new stuff comes with integrated graphic and I think that 8x AGP slot is not supported on new motherboards. My 2 GB RAM was DDR 2, I think I will have to throw it away as well. I hate to think that I can't use so much of my cool hardware anymore. The computer industry today is showing no mercy for these things.

All this happened just as I was half way of producing new lesson and new MTP material. Now MTP guys will have to wait a couple of days until I sort the new system out and do some tests.

Any suggestions are welcome. Just don't suggest MAC, I am not going for it this time smile.gif

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Sorry to hear this Emir you had a pretty decent and well enough configuration for GMC. I recommend you buy parts and build the computer yourself again. It will definitely cost you 30% or more % less but you will be able to upgrade it on your own whenever you feel like it. Quadcore processor is huge recommendation for me. Graphic card is important, sounds to me like you got Audio card already sorted out, get 4 gigs of ram memory + huge hard disk space and you are all set man smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 01:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 14 2010, 12:17 AM) *
Sorry to hear this Emir you had a pretty decent and well enough configuration for GMC. I recommend you buy parts and build the computer yourself again. It will definitely cost you 30% or more % less but you will be able to upgrade it on your own whenever you feel like it. Quadcore processor is huge recommendation for me. Graphic card is important, sounds to me like you got Audio card already sorted out, get 4 gigs of ram memory + huge hard disk space and you are all set man smile.gif

Thanks Pedja. I am really scared to build PC myself as I don't know if the parts are going to match. That can be a real pain. There was a thread here when someone wanted to do it and in the end it was more expensive smile.gif Also this way I have 1 year guarantee and I know that parts are tested in the factory. I am buying a brand this time like HP, Dell ... Just don't know which counfiguration is the best for up to £500. There are many different processors. I might go for AMD because it is cheaper but I don't know which model is equal to Quad Core. I need some advice about these little things that might save money but give good results.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 14 2010, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
Just a thought Emir...
Are you sure it's not just the Power Supply Unit that's burnt out or something? In which case a replacement of that will be a lot cheaper than a whole new system!
I know I'm not the most Computer literate person, but I had this happen to me a while back when I was first getting into using a PC!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 01:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 14 2010, 12:40 AM) *
Just a thought Emir...
Are you sure it's not just the Power Supply Unit that's burnt out or something? In which case a replacement of that will be a lot cheaper than a whole new system!
I know I'm not the most Computer literate person, but I had this happen to me a while back when I was first getting into using a PC!
smile.gif

It is not, I tried a different one which I had spare. This is actually weird. There is one little power cable with 4 pins which goes from power supply to the motherboard. Not the big main connector, this one is 4 pin like a little box. I believe it is for supplying the integrated audio and video. When I plug that little thing into motherboard, nothing works. Cooler is not roatating and everything is dead. When I disconnect that cable the cooler works but again nothing happens in the computer. No picture on the screen and my hard drive doesn't make usual noise. I am not expert in this but looks like power supply is working.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 14 2010, 01:34 AM) *
Thanks Pedja. I am really scared to build PC myself as I don't know if the parts are going to match. That can be a real pain. There was a thread here when someone wanted to do it and in the end it was more expensive smile.gif Also this way I have 1 year guarantee and I know that parts are tested in the factory. I am buying a brand this time like HP, Dell ... Just don't know which counfiguration is the best for up to £500. There are many different processors. I might go for AMD because it is cheaper but I don't know which model is equal to Quad Core. I need some advice about these little things that might save money but give good results.

You shouldn't be scared Emir, I am sure you can do it man. I do however get your guarantee part of a deal but I believe that even when you buy parts separately you also get guarantee for each one of them. That is what I got for my latest computer which I submitted configuration for via website of a store in my town. They put all the parts I wanted plus installed windows XP with it and I got all possible guarantee for all the parts. You should try finding that sort of deal, my computer with 22 inch wide screen monitor with monster configuration was around 500$ couple of months ago. I can look for the complete configuration and let you know but it is more powerful then the one that died on you (quad core, 4 gigs ram, 500 gigs hard etc).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 02:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 14 2010, 12:49 AM) *
You shouldn't be scared Emir, I am sure you can do it man. I do however get your guarantee part of a deal but I believe that even when you buy parts separately you also get guarantee for each one of them. That is what I got for my latest computer which I submitted configuration for via website of a store in my town. They put all the parts I wanted plus installed windows XP with it and I got all possible guarantee for all the parts. You should try finding that sort of deal, my computer with 22 inch wide screen monitor with monster configuration was around 500$ couple of months ago. I can look for the complete configuration and let you know but it is more powerful then the one that died on you (quad core, 4 gigs ram, 500 gigs hard etc).

I know that Pedja but hardware compatibilities could be a problem. Today it is quite different to build it yourself than when I used to do it. What if I buy a motherboard and RAM to find out later that my ram doesn't work with that motherboard even though it fits in the slot. I have no way of testing that before. I don't have shop where people put computers together. In London you can only buy proper new thing or second hand rubbish smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 02:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 14 2010, 02:00 AM) *
I know that Pedja but hardware compatibilities could be a problem. Today it is quite different to build it yourself than when I used to do it. What if I buy a motherboard and RAM to find out later that my ram doesn't work with that motherboard even though it fits in the slot. I have no way of testing that before. I don't have shop where people put computers together. In London you can only buy proper new thing or second hand rubbish smile.gif

If there are no shops like that then obviously whole thing goes out unfortunately. It might be best thing to buy solid brand computer with great service plan. That would be the way I would go for anyways. Good luck man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kahall
Jan 14 2010, 05:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Emir, did you have problems before you vacuumed the board or after? I read your post several times and it is not clear to me.
Also, for a cheap easy possible fix, if it is the MOB, check ebay for similar.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 14 2010, 06:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Emir.....I suggest you get a....... laugh.gif laugh.gif Didn't say it...... laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm out of the PC world but I'm sure you'll find something that will meet your needs. I agree with Pedja though.....I think you should build your own.....or have someone build you one.

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jan 14 2010, 06:33 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Emir,
I recently had to go through this same ordeal. You may recall a post that I made about my experiences. Refer to that post for more detail of what I went through. You are experienced with this sort of thing, so I know you will do fine.

If it's a new motherboard that you need, you will almost certainly have to deal with some obsolescence of your other peripheral devices. Your AGP video card will most likely not be usable (as you've noted) since AGP is no longer a "standard" interface. Also, I'm not sure but I believe that most new motherboards are going to require DDR3 ram. DDR3 is much faster than the old stuff and prices on memory have dropped dramatically in recent years so it may well be worth moving to this newer technology. Check the power supply requirements of the new motherboard. The EIDE connector (the one that powers the video card etc) has changed. I believe that it went from six to eight pins and my old motherboard and power supply did not have this at all. Also take a look at your HD and CDROM disk drives. Many motherboards (mine included) no longer support IDE and have moved exclusively to SATA. SATA is better performing, but your old drives might not be SATA. You can probably still get motherboards that support IDE though so it should not be too much of a problem if you want to keep your old disk drives. Also be especially careful that if you do have to get a new power supply to double check that all of the various required connectors and voltages are available and if it's a modular supply it's possible to plug the wrong output into the wrong device so be extra careful when powering up for the first time. (I burned up an old hard drive this way.).

As for your sound hardware, ran into a situation similar to what you describe with driver support and Win7 compatibility. Double check that there are many satisfied users of your audio hardware with Win7 before moving to the new OS ...or be willing to abandon your old audio hardware. I have a Yamaha Motif ES (synth) and Yamaha i88x DAW interface that I can no longer connect to my PC due to lack of Win7 driver support ...expensive stuff to have to abandon. At least I can still use the synth but my old DAW interface is now not usable at all since Yamaha made the decision not to support Win7 on these products.

I would almost recommend going the store bought route for complete system. Still even with a turnkey computer, you might run into driver support issues if your audio interface hardware is older than a few years old. But at least with the store bought system you won't have to deal with interoperability of all the internal stuff (pwr supply, drives, memory, video card). You can save a few bucks if you build the system yourself though so I understand that this is not a "slam dunk" decision.

I don't know if these websites ship their product globally, but here are a couple of good ones (at least here in the US)...
www.tigerdirect.com
www.pricewatch.com

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 14 2010, 08:13 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would go the store way too - unless You are'nt supposed to build that "faster-than-the-light" shredding computer, which the stores don't sell anyway.... (I have to go this way AGAIN... sad.gif ) I really don't know what the motherboards in store PC's have regarding memory slots, but if I shall buy a computer 4 GB isn't enough on the motherboard, 8 will do, but 16 is even better. There will be amazing virtual instruments in the near future (and is, as Trilian) that sucks memory like I don't know what...... tongue.gif Also make sure its not the battery that went out.... there's a small battery on the motherboard for holding the bios when the computer is off. This is a common problem for computers beeing 3-4 years old and if its out, the computer is blacker than Speed Metal..... And You can test the current power supply by just connecting the DVD and push the open/close button.....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jan 14 2010, 08:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 14 2010, 02:00 AM) *

You can buy online and have it sent at your home. Some online retailer even build the computer for you but you still choose the pieces and they give advices and test the whole system before sending it.

But yeah, switching from a 3 years old PC to a new one means you will have to change many pieces like the graphic card and probably IDE harddrive. Even though I am sure you can still find motherboard with IDE slot. I am sure the RAM is not the problem, DDR2 is OK.

About compatibilities, the only issues you have to be cautious about are the processor/motherboard compatibility. But you can pretty much find anything that suits your needs after you have chosen a processor. And currently, one of the best is the Intel i7 and it fits on a socket 1366. wink.gif

Would be glad to help but I don't know any computer supplies retailer in GB.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 14 2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
.. recalling my P4 3.06GHz 512MB ATI Gfx card with 3 7200 rpms SATA Drives 2 GB RAM lying under my desk cupboard.. Don't know if I will ever use it again. It was such a powerful machine back then... and now no one will buy it if I want to even sell it.

Good Luck Emir. Getting the latest machines is a real pain as your existing softwares don't really work as you intend to.. You will have to get everything new.. Forget about the Gfx card.. Hope that your audio interface works well (at least). biggrin.gif

I just shifted to mac more than a year back so have no idea on PC world these days.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jan 14 2010, 09:22 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Jan 14 2010, 09:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Did you try restarting?

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 14 2010, 09:57 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
That's not good, I hate when that happens... dry.gif

If you're going for a Dell, you should check out the Dell Inspiron 580

* Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 530 (2.93GHz, 4MB)

* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

* 4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 1066MHz [4x1024] Memory

* 640GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

* 16X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write)

* NVIDIA® GeForce G310 512MB Graphics card

* Integrated 7.1 channel audio

Price: £479

Link: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/s...;l=en&s=dhs

It's a pretty good machine for under £500 smile.gif

Good luck Emir!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 14 2010, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback.

@kahall
It was working 1 hour after cleaning and stopped. I can't look on ebay as I need the new thing today. I am one of those that can't spend a minute without computer smile.gif

@JamesT
Thanks man. Yes it was you who started that thread before, now I remember. Thanks for your advice. I have both SATA and IDE HDs. That's not a problem as I have the USB removable HD box. Any IDE can be plugged into that and connected via USB.

@maharzan
Yes man, my machine was very similar.

@audiopaal
This looks like a good deal. I'll have a look today. Thanks.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 14 2010, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Oh, sorry to hear about that bro, must be a pain. sad.gif
And you said it very well, computer industry has no mercy for older devices at all,
you buy thing and after few months it might get too old!!
I'm no expert at this so I really have nothing to suggest but I'm sure someone will. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 14 2010, 12:08 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 14 2010, 08:21 AM) *
.. recalling my P4 3.06GHz 512MB ATI Gfx card with 3 7200 rpms SATA Drives 2 GB RAM lying under my desk cupboard.. Don't know if I will ever use it again. It was such a powerful machine back then... and now no one will buy it if I want to even sell it.

ohmy.gif

That's better than the one I'm using now!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 14 2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yea Sensible Jones.. It is but it eats such a power and it too big as a desktop for now. Any computer would come at lower price and will be powerful than that.. Its just funny computer world. Yet funnier is I bought a MBP and not even 6 months, its already old and 'outdated'. Softwares are upgraded and it seems to take too much memory making it sllllloow! You get better MBP with $500 less now.. sad.gif sad.gif Isn't that frustrating.. ? But have to live with it.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:20 AM