3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Pedja's Collab, Please sign up if you can
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 09:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Guys....Pedja is running a collab on just the thing we all need. Go here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=25478&hl=

I'd like you guys to all sign up an participate if you would. I will give you guys some cool arpeggios shapes you can work with for this. I have been wanting to do this but wanted to hold off so you wouldn't get overwhelmed....but since Pedja is running this collab I'll do it now. This is just what we have been talking about. Using chord tones in your solos.....PERFECT!! Thanks Pedja!!

Don't worry about your solos for this month guys. Just work on it when you can and we'll get back to them next month. This collab is just what the Dr/Dentist ordered. smile.gif Pleas sign up. I already did!!!

As soon as everybody signs up I'll go over how I want you to approach it. Thanks guys!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
I signed up.

Original solo is on hold.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 09:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 9 2009, 09:33 PM) *
I signed up.

Original solo is on hold.

Just work on it when you have time. This collab takes precedence though. This will be really cool for us to apply what we have talked about and it will allow me to show you guys some cool arpeggio shapes. Ones that are easier to play than trying to sweep a triad shape. I'll make a tab with the shapes you can use so when you go to write your solo you can just pick a shape off of the tab and then come up with a line using that shape. WE NEED THIS!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 9 2009, 09:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 9 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Just work on it when you have time. This collab takes precedence though. This will be really cool for us to apply what we have talked about and it will allow me to show you guys some cool arpeggio shapes. Ones that are easier to play than trying to sweep a triad shape. I'll make a tab with the shapes you can use so when you go to write your solo you can just pick a shape off of the tab and then come up with a line using that shape. WE NEED THIS!!! smile.gif

WE do need it. Im not ready for it though.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 09:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 9 2009, 09:39 PM) *
WE do need it. Im not ready for it though.

Why aren't you ready for it? You don't have to shred. Just play the rythms you are comfortable with. Quarter notes, eighth notes etc. Come up with a melodic line instead of a "flashy line". Those melodies that Satch plays.....This is what he is doing. Sign up dude!!!

Jer.....Might need to get the Milkbones and hungry dog ready........ tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 09:45 PM
This will be really cool for us to apply what we have talked about

We havent talked about arpeggios though. Beyond what they are.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 9 2009, 09:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
NO! Some dude name Monte gave me a ton of stuff already to work on!

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 9 2009, 04:44 PM) *
Why aren't you ready for it? You don't have to shred. Just play the rythms you are comfortable with. Quarter notes, eighth notes etc. Come up with a melodic line instead of a "flashy line". Those melodies that Satch plays.....This is what he is doing. Sign up dude!!!

Jer.....Might need to get the Milkbones and hungry dog ready........ tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 09:52 PM
We havent talked about arpeggios though. Beyond what they are.....

I suppose for this purpose arpeggios are the triads. In order either up or down the strings.

Really Dan, this is an easy one to knock out.

/C maj7 / A min7 / D min7 / G7 /
/E min7 / A min7 / D min7 / G7 /

I'm assuming those slashes are just to divide the chord names.

All we do is solo with the notes of Cmaj7 for 1 bar, then the notes of Amin7 for a bar, then the notes of Dmin7 for a bar, then the notes of G7 for a bar. Etc....

Hopefully the tempo is reasonable... If I'm doing that much jumping around It'll have to be at about 30bpm for me to play along. sad.gif

This post has been edited by jer: Mar 9 2009, 09:53 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 9 2009, 09:55 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Okay most probably I am retarded, but I don't understand the whole concept behind this...

For me arpeggio is playing each note of a certain chord one after another. Of course we don't have to play all the notes, but what I mean is that there is no string skipping, just one string up, or one string down, and then again one string up or one string down etc.etc.

Considering that this is the chord progression:
/E min7 / A min7 / D min7 / G7 /
/C maj7 / A min7 / D min7 / G7 //

We should come up with some arpeggio patterns based on the same chords as listed above?

Pedja provided us with diagrams of all the "chord tones". But that looks more like a scale to me... For example Cmaj7 chord. We have these diagrams showing us, where the 4 notes that the chord consist are.
There is the 1,3,4,7 "intervals"/notes ( You know what I am talking about better than me.. ). I assume if we play the 1 interval, we can only play 3 after it? If we play the 4'th, than we can go to 3 or 7'th? Sorry for so many questions, just have no idea on the whole thing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 09:58 PM
we can use the chord notes as or not as arpeggios.

This is confusing for me as all that really means to me is play them in order if you want (arpeggio) or dont play them in order (chord tones)

To me it sounds more difficult than it is.

I hate the word arpeggio.

So for bar 1 you can use the notes of the Cmaj7 chord to play anything you want.

If you happen to play them in order ascending or descending, thats an arpeggio.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 10:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Everybody just go sign up. I'll show you how to do this. I will make it simple. I'm gonna give you a tab with all the different shapes you can use and any triad shape will work for ANY of these chords. You can do one bar every other day and knock this out. Seriously guys, this is where it is at. Forget everything else I have assigned you for now....Work on it if you have time but this should take precedence. Don't worry about your lesson takes etc., This is what we want to learn....how to write solos. This is how we do it. GO SIGN UP!!!

I will explain all and give you a tab by tomorrow. Then you have two weeks to work on it.

Forget the Kaz-box licks and your lessons if you must. I want you guys to work on this. This will help you learn to write YOUR music. GMC lessons will always be around to work on. These collabs...especially these classroom type collabs that Pedja is doing.....are invaluable. I'm putting aside stuff in my practice routine to because I NEED THIS JUST AS MUCH AS YOU GUYS. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 9 2009, 10:06 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Ah I re-read the colab topic, so we just have to use the chord tones, don't have to use arpeggios... Well maybe I could enter, but I never wrote anything worth naming it a solo....

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 10:18 PM
Me either Marek. Me either.

But thats why I'm here.

This is what we want to learn....how to write solos. This is how we do it. GO SIGN UP!!!

\m/ \m/

This is as basic as it gets.

Soloing using ONLY the tones of the chord. ONLY the landing notes.

There are 16 bars in this solo.

I play on keeping some parts of this as my "Kaz Box Original Licks" assignment.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 9 2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Guys just so there isn't any confusion, you can solo using CHORD TONES (play notes of chord in any order, and you don't have to play them all, you can play only one if you want to !) and you can also use ARPEGGIOS ! ( here you need to play notes of the chord in very specific order so the ear can perceive the sound as arpeggio !).

Hope that makes sense. Great to see you there, it should be lots of fun !

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 9 2009, 10:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Seriously Guys.....I don't want to piss anybody off. Dan....If you feel you have too much on your plate already don't sign up. I understand. IMO this collab should take precedence over anything I have you working on. You don't need to work on it day and night but I know that you told me that you want to take part of you practice routine and write your own solos. This is the first step. I am soloing over a Cmaj7 so what do I play? The first thing that should come to mind would be the Cmaj7 arpeggio.

If I tell you guys to go play your triads you ain't gonna do it......I wouldn't. smile.gif But if I tell you to go write a solo you are gonna say "cool...what do I do?" Here is one option.

Pedja is genius with these classroom collabs. The first one was all about sequences and how to move them through the scale. This one is about arpeggios. You don't even need to learn any arpeggios to do it. You know the triads....just stick to those.

For Cmaj7 you have a Cmaj triad and an Emin triad. Pick one or combine them. You don't even need to learn any arpgeggios but I am gonna give you a tab anyways. I was going to eventually but this gives me an excuse.

Again, you guys can do what you want....but for those who sign up I will go over what I want you to do. I'll walk you through it. This is the best way I know to show you guys how to use your triads and arpeggios in soloing. Jer how many times did you learn your triads....4 or 5...Didn't apply them and forgot them. This collab will tell you how to apply them.

Totally up to you guys.

Check back here for the tab for those that are participating. \m/\m/ You don't need it but you'll want it eventually and it might be fun for you guys to mess with these arpeggios. I'm gonna give you some cool 2 note per string shapes over 2 strings. Should be fun.

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 9 2009, 11:39 PM
For Cmaj7 you have a Cmaj triad and an Emin triad.

See, I don't understand this.

Cmaj7 = you have C, E, G, B

So rip it up with those 4 notes.

Triad shmiad.......

here are the notes I can use for the first bar.

Attached Image

Are there triads in there?

Sure.

I can probably find the big dipper too.

How does looking at these notes with a triad shape in mind help me?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 10 2009, 12:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 9 2009, 11:39 PM) *
See, I don't understand this.

Cmaj7 = you have C, E, G, B

So rip it up with those 4 notes.

Triad shmiad.......

here are the notes I can use for the first bar.

Attached Image

Are there triads in there?

Sure.

I can probably find the big dipper too.

How does looking at these notes with a triad shape in mind help me?

Remember Cmaj7=Cmaj triad + Emin triad.

Look at the pic. All the 1-3-5 are the same as you major triad shapes....C major in this case...and the 3-5-7's are minor triad shapes...E minor in this case. Remember the only difference between a major and minor triad is the 3rd. Go over the chart and you will see all the triad shapes in the tab.

SEEEEEEEEEE!!!! You are learning something alread........TOLD YA SO!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 10 2009, 01:20 AM
hang on... going to get my book....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 10 2009, 01:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 10 2009, 01:20 AM) *
hang on... going to get my book....

Jer... approach this like you are making some excercises. I'm gonna give you guys some more examples tomorrow. I've pissed everybody off enough for one day. laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 10 2009, 04:25 AM
yeah, I see what you are saying. They are in there. I'm not real sure how that helps me. When we only have the 1-3-5-7 notes to work with they are pretty much all good starting and landing notes aren't they?

In this collab, how many bars are we supposed to play?

I did 2 that I like, then it all started going down hill..... Each one after that was less and less inspired.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:09 PM