2 Pages V  < 1 2  
My Love For Fender...
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 3 2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor
In the shop you will probably have to pay for a setup, but make sure you tell the guy that you want action lower and no buzzing, and refuse to pay him if he doesn't do that. Carefully play the guitar after setup in the store, and if you don't like it - refuse to pay.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 3 2008, 11:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the extremely fast answer tongue.gif
So I should definetly take it into the shop then, to be safe? I read somewhere that it's only to twist a bolt/screw somewhere on the neck to fix it, but thought I should ask here first..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Canis: Nov 3 2008, 11:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Nov 3 2008, 11:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Canis @ Nov 3 2008, 11:29 PM) *
Regarding Strats... I've had a Squier Strat for almost a year now, and it's only after playing my new Schecter that I've noticed that the strings on my Squier is extremely far from the fretboard, and makes it unnessicary harder to play on.. Do anyone know if there is any "Do-it-yourself" way to get them a bit closer, or do I have to take it in to some guitar shop?

Sure, you can lower the action of your strat yourself by lowering the saddles at the bridge. However, in order to set-up the guitar in the most proper way you should also check whether the neck relief is correct (and if not correct it using the truss rod (do this in very small increments). The combination of a right neck relief + right height of the saddles will give you a playable neck (without too much buzzing on certain places as well tongue.gif). You may want to check the nut as well, as that may also be a reason for a high action. Just google on the internet for some guides how to do all the things in more detail (many tutorials available).

You may think after reading this .. damn I don't dare to do this, I will take my guitar to a shop. I was exactly the same with my Ibanez until I got my EJ strat a couple of weeks ago. Since I got that guitar I have changed the neck relief slightly (quite scary to actually remove the neck from the body twice tongue.gif), changed the saddles, changed the pressure of the tremolo, changed the pickup heights. It took me quite a while to get towards the ideal set-up for me, but I think I am almost there at this moment. Most importantly it definitely significantly improved the quality of my new strat and I learned so much by doing everything myself, removing the fear as well.

Anyways, just do whatever you feel comfortable with smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Nov 3 2008, 11:43 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 3 2008, 11:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I was hoping to do it myself so I could learn a bit about the guitar as I tried. And it's my second guitar, so it's not a crisis if it get's ruined on the way..

I'll look for some of the tutorials on the net, since I don't want to start pulling and poking the wrong things tongue.gif

Thanks for your reply, Velvet ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:13 PM