Mtp Beginners (completenewbie And Joruus), Lesson 1 update
CompleteNewbie
Oct 8 2008, 07:15 PM
GMC:er
Hi Kris,

it's October 8th 19:32, I know I have one day to go, but I am back in work tomorrow, so I am leaving an update for you now (I work 12 hour shifts so not in till 8pm tomorrow night).

I hope to upload a video by or just after the weekend. I seem to have all the chords remembered, however, some are a little easier than others. I need to speed up a bit, as I have done a trial run to the backing track, but I am out of Sinc. ohmy.gif

The main trouble I am having is moving to the next position fast enough, I guess this is practice.

Hope this update is ok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Joruus
Oct 9 2008, 04:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think im doing ok now, ill try to get a video up tonight.

I ran into alot more trouble then i thought i would with this first lesson tongue.gif

I first learned the chords (barely played any non-powerchords before)
Learning those + switching between them took me the first few days.

Then i found out strumming upwards seemed alot harder then downstrumming, untill
i realised i shouldn't "anchor" my hand with my pinky on the pickguard.
After changing that, i got alot better at it.

And then i tryed playing to backing track (wich i never did before) that really didnt work out very well,
so i first tryed playing along with muris in the 1st video part, after i did that a few times i could play
on the backing track aswell.

So i learned a whole lot of this lesson (chord playing, upstrumming, timing with backing).

Now the only trouble is when i play to a backing track i keep making little random mistakes.
Sometimes i hit a string too many or too few, another time i fret wrong so i mute a string, or i suddenly cant change chord quick enough.
This get less everytime i play it though, so in a few days i should do ok.

I'll load up a video today for progress report, and maybe ill need a few more days to get it better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Joruus
Oct 9 2008, 07:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here it is smile.gif
Attached File  MTP_Lesson_1.wmv ( 30.35MB ) Number of downloads: 294

Playing went much better then yesterday again, i made alot less mistakes. happy.gif

Sorry about the size 30mb..
I could bring it down to 6mb but then its only 320x240 so looks less good
Should i do that next time or is it not a problem if its bigger size?

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 11 2008, 10:20 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (CompleteNewbie @ Oct 8 2008, 08:15 PM) *
Hi Kris,

it's October 8th 19:32, I know I have one day to go, but I am back in work tomorrow, so I am leaving an update for you now (I work 12 hour shifts so not in till 8pm tomorrow night).

I hope to upload a video by or just after the weekend. I seem to have all the chords remembered, however, some are a little easier than others. I need to speed up a bit, as I have done a trial run to the backing track, but I am out of Sinc. ohmy.gif

The main trouble I am having is moving to the next position fast enough, I guess this is practice.

Hope this update is ok

Ok thanks for the update CN! I am looking forward to seeing your video soon!

QUOTE (Joruus @ Oct 9 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Here it is smile.gif
Attached File  MTP_Lesson_1.wmv ( 30.35MB ) Number of downloads: 294

Playing went much better then yesterday again, i made alot less mistakes. happy.gif

Sorry about the size 30mb..
I could bring it down to 6mb but then its only 320x240 so looks less good
Should i do that next time or is it not a problem if its bigger size?

Excellent Joruus - commented here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Oct 12 2008, 11:54 AM
Attached File  Lesson_1_update.wmv ( 15.91MB ) Number of downloads: 204

Ok, I have added my video above. biggrin.gif

I am still struggling with my finger postions at the moment at higher BPM. huh.gif

I am improving every day I practice this and I am sure I will get up to the higher speeds with more practice.

Anyway, Kris, have a look at the video, and let me know what you think.

This post has been edited by CompleteNewbie: Oct 12 2008, 11:55 AM

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 19 2008, 11:55 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (CompleteNewbie @ Oct 12 2008, 12:54 PM) *
Attached File  Lesson_1_update.wmv ( 15.91MB ) Number of downloads: 204

Ok, I have added my video above. biggrin.gif

I am still struggling with my finger postions at the moment at higher BPM. huh.gif

I am improving every day I practice this and I am sure I will get up to the higher speeds with more practice.

Anyway, Kris, have a look at the video, and let me know what you think.

Thanks CN! I can see you have done some great progress with gripping and strumming the chords - very well done! smile.gif

You have also attempted to play with the slowest backings - those are great to get a feel for how the chords in combination with the backing sounds. However playing in time with such slow backings can probably be more difficult than the faster ones.

What I would like you to do - is to give this homework yet another week. I would advise you to only practice the chords and the picking/strumming - without the backing - until you can start practicing at least with the 75 bpm backing.

Because you have been practicing this for quite a while - you will probably face the phenomenon of "practice-boredom" very soon. Therefore I would really advise you to put as much energy as possible on this now - so we can move oven to the next thing! Othwerise there is a risk your motivation will drop!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Oct 19 2008, 04:40 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 19 2008, 11:55 AM) *
Thanks CN! I can see you have done some great progress with gripping and strumming the chords - very well done! smile.gif

You have also attempted to play with the slowest backings - those are great to get a feel for how the chords in combination with the backing sounds. However playing in time with such slow backings can probably be more difficult than the faster ones.

What I would like you to do - is to give this homework yet another week. I would advise you to only practice the chords and the picking/strumming - without the backing - until you can start practicing at least with the 75 bpm backing.

Because you have been practicing this for quite a while - you will probably face the phenomenon of "practice-boredom" very soon. Therefore I would really advise you to put as much energy as possible on this now - so we can move oven to the next thing! Othwerise there is a risk your motivation will drop!

Thanks Kris,

I am practicing hard, my old brain don't work like it used too........ mad.gif

I am determined to learn the guitar, and although I am weary of "practice bordom" , I am continuing unabated......

Watch this space!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

having fingers like sausages that move slowly don't help..... lol laugh.gif

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 19 2008, 06:17 PM
GMC Founder
Cool CN - I'll be watching the space! biggrin.gif Good luck with the coming week's practicing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Oct 20 2008, 05:19 AM
Kris,

There is one other thing I forgot to mention, I will be away on holiday's from the 25th of this month for one week, no internet or guitar!!! sad.gif

I will try and get a video loaded by Friday 24th, if not it will be after the 3rd of November.

Regards

Eric

This post has been edited by CompleteNewbie: Oct 20 2008, 05:19 AM

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:37 PM