Starting Takin Apart My Guitar =]
ErosDervishi
Feb 14 2010, 01:43 AM
GMC:er
i wanted to repaint my guitar for a really long while , and i finally decided to do it , i have no experience in doing this type of thing but i feel iv done enough research , i have a question though . im up to the point where i have to sand the guitar . , is it a real neccesity to remove the pickups , iv take off the bridge and all the other hardware but can i jus mask the pickups ? and paint over them ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 14 2010, 02:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know what kind of guitar you have but if it has pickup rings it would be better to remove the pickups to get a good finish...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
ErosDervishi
Feb 14 2010, 02:40 AM
umm its just sum stock washburn , with ssh pup configuration , what r pickup rings?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 14 2010, 03:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
On some guitars the pickups are mounted directly into the body, others have the pickups mounted in a pickguard and some others have the actual pickup mounted in a little plastic ring that is screwed onto the body (Les Pauls for example).

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 14 2010, 02:12 PM
Instructor
It's better to remove all the parts completely, because sanding involves lots of dust and it is tricky work. I woudn't want any dust particles to come into the pickup, and also a nice blank chop of wood is easier and faster to work with.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 14 2010, 04:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd definitly remove the pickups before sanding and painting.

If you have ever sanded before you know that no matter how much you cover things up with plastic you will have dust everywhere anyway. smile.gif
Same thimg with spray paint, it'll spread all over the place and make a thin layer. Be sure to have good ventilation!

+Quote Post
stratman79
Feb 15 2010, 01:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
You have to take off everything, the neck too if you can.

Believe me it is much much harder than you think. I would do it on a throw away guitar first, as you will prob not be happy with the results. (I know I wasn't and I'vee done a couple now)

If your painting a solid colour you may want to speed up the sanding process by using a heat gun.. if its a poly finish (which I presume it is) Careful not to sorch the top. Sanding it will take a long long time.

After you have stripped it you want to apply a grain filler, sand it back down to smooth, then apply an undercoat. Following that your main colour, don't apply to heavy a light pass 3 times and do that every 3 hours.

Then you want to apply your clear coat. Maybe 2 cans of it.

You want to use Nitrocellulose paint to get a great finish, then you want to start sanding, sand at 800 grit then a 1000 and prgress upto about 2000 getting rid of the orange peel.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE A RESPIRITOR IF YOU ARE USING NITRO AND DON'T USE IN A CONFINED AREA (BASEMENT OR LOFT) AROUND FAMILY MEMBERS.

A great forum for refininshing is reranch.com there are some great luthiers over there, its good fun but very hard.... good luck

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 15 2010, 01:15 PM
There is nothing I can add to all this advice!
Stratman has told you everything you need to know!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The only thing I will reiterate is this:- before you actually spray your guitar, practice on some scrap piece of wood first. Practice the whole process of spraying the undercoat, rubbing down, spraying the topcoat, rubbing back, second coat, rubbing back, third coat etc!! Do the whole process through to a finish, until you're happy with it. Even if you do it several times!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
ErosDervishi
Feb 15 2010, 06:49 PM
thanx for all the tips guys , takin my time on this one , il keep every1 updated on how it goes

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 25 2010, 05:02 PM
Instructor
yeah , I think a paint job in not a small task and it certainly needs the guitar to be fully unclothed so that you might not ruin some of those precious parts,

the respirator tip is veeery good biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:25 AM