Emg 57/66 - First Impressions
Mudbone
Aug 22 2015, 08:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've always liked EMGs, for a multitude of reasons. For metal, the 81 in the bridge got a massive and powerful sound, and for cleans the 60 in the neck is pristine and full. Aside from their tone, another great thing about EMGs is the ease in which you can change them, due to their quick connect feature. I've rotated the 81, 85 and 60 in all positions just to try a variety of sounds. The 85 in the bridge with the 24V mod is wicked. Of course, one of the greatest attributes of active pickups is they do an excellent job of causing tone purists to get massively butt hurt.

However, I have few issues with the classic active EMGs. While they sound great with massive amounts of gain and with a very clean sound, I've never been too happy with the mild crunch sounds and the various amounts of gain between clean and mean. I'm also not crazy about the way it sounds when you dial back the guitar's volume knob. Also, while the compressed sound lends itself well to an even tone, my tastes have shifted away from that. I've recently been playing medium output passive pickups, such as the DiMarzio Chopper, and I love how dynamic it is. It transmits all the nuances of my playing, for better or for worse.

EMG recently released some new pickups that make the claim to combine all qualities of passive pickups with an active design. This sounded very appealing to me. I checked out the Richie Faulkner video demoing the EMG 57/66 set, and was like, "That's it! That's the tone!" I ordered them and installed them in an LTD H-1001. They replaced an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.

They're excellent pickups. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed. They're so clear and articulate. The 57 in the bridge has great crunch sounds and high gain tones, and has much of the dynamics of passive pickups. It doesn't have quite the "thump" of the 81 but it does make up for it with tight palm mutes. You can play open chords and hear all the individual notes. They're both very similar to a classic PAF sound. The 66 in the neck is very clear and finally, what I've been waiting for, no muddiness. It's got a very "tubular" sound.

Now, this is just an initial impression. I've only played it through a Blackstar ID Core. Haven't had a chance to play it through a proper tube amp.

I highly recommend these, especially if you already have EMGs. They have a nice vintage look, so when a tone snob compliments the sound they emanate, you'll get to enjoy watching him have a massive meltdown when he finds out that they're active.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:08 AM