Change Classical Guitar Machine Heads?
btrigorivas
Jul 5 2008, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
A week ago i bought an Alhambra 5P classical guitar, the guitar is really nice but the thing i didnt like are the machine heads, so i decided to get new ones i got ones that are really nice, the best i found. The person in the shop told me it was very easy to change the machine heads, the holes for screwing it didnt match so he told me to grab a drill and make a very small hole, but i am scared of doing it, is it hard to do or you recommend me taking it to the shop. I would like to do it myself to learn but im scared. What do you recommend, he told me it was very easy, or do you have an easier technique for installing new machine heads when the holes for the screws dont match.
Thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Jul 5 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, I managed to do this on my electric. I filled the old holes with a mixture of chip and glue, and then sandpapered it a little to give it a smooth surface. I then just laid out the machine heads, and drilled right through them. I taped the drill to know how deep I was going. Very easy task I would say.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 5 2008, 11:40 PM
Instructor
If you have a drill driver and matching drill bit I see no problem there, be sure to drill it through the wholes of machine heads, and that a drill bit is somewhat smaller than a screw. Also another option is to use a small nail and a hammer to make small holes. When you have even small holes, screwing is not a problem at all.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 6 2008, 01:38 PM
wouldnt using a hammer and nail crack the woood open ivan?

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 6 2008, 01:40 PM
Not if you are using a tiny hammer and a tiny nail.

Nine Inch Nails and a Sledge Hammer would probably be overkill. laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jul 6 2008, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (btrigorivas @ Jul 5 2008, 11:44 PM) *
A week ago i bought an Alhambra 5P classical guitar, the guitar is really nice but the thing i didnt like are the machine heads, so i decided to get new ones i got ones that are really nice, the best i found. The person in the shop told me it was very easy to change the machine heads, the holes for screwing it didnt match so he told me to grab a drill and make a very small hole, but i am scared of doing it, is it hard to do or you recommend me taking it to the shop. I would like to do it myself to learn but im scared. What do you recommend, he told me it was very easy, or do you have an easier technique for installing new machine heads when the holes for the screws dont match.
Thank you

It's easy BUT... my advice is that if you don't feel confortable doing it, if you are not confident... let a professional do it. Maybe it's not so expensive and also you can get kind a warranty.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers mate!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 6 2008, 04:47 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 6 2008, 01:40 PM) *
Not if you are using a tiny hammer and a tiny nail.

Nine Inch Nails and a Sledge Hammer would probably be overkill. laugh.gif

lol

+Quote Post
btrigorivas
Jul 6 2008, 08:42 PM
I decided to get a new machine heads that matched the holes in my guitar to dont risk anything, i got the money back fo the other ones.
Thank you guys.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:36 AM