> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

144 Pages V  « < 142 143 144  
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2021, 05:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! How are you?

Thanks for the update. Great to know that you are working hard on your task even while being "on tour". I'm curious to see you playing those tricky licks. I'd like to check your fingering and approach to them.

Regarding that lick and the connection with Arabian music. YES! You are right. If we isolate those notes, and take B as the root, we can see these notes as part of two possible scales that are very related to Arabian music.

The first scale is the Phrygian Mode.

And the second option is this mode from the Harmonic minor scale, the Phrygian Major. This one is very used in Neoclassical Metal. (Yngwie loves it)

Check out the first riff in this song and you'll hear the Phrygian Major mode in action:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 5 2021, 05:57 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 5 2021, 08:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

How are you feeling now? Emotionally and physically? I hope you are improving my friend.

I'll get some videos to you tomorrow, work got in the way this evening I'm afraid.

I'm amazed that I actually heard something in those four notes that made me think of the middle east, things must be improving in my listening senses wink.gif

Nos hablamos amigo

UPDATE:

Had some issues with online banking this evening mate, sorry, didn't get chance to practise, technology eh? rolleyes.gif

Hopefully I'll get some in tomorrow before the match.

Saludos

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 6 2021, 08:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2021, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 5 2021, 04:52 PM) *
How are you feeling now? Emotionally and physically? I hope you are improving my friend.

Hi Phil! How are you doing? I'm feeling good today. Thanks for asking mate. smile.gif

I'm amazed that I actually heard something in those four notes that made me think of the middle east, things must be improving in my listening senses wink.gif

Yeah! You got the middle east vibes. Phrygian mode is also very used in metal. I could give you lots of examples, but this riff is one of them.

Had some issues with online banking this evening mate, sorry, didn't get chance to practise, technology eh? rolleyes.gif

Hopefully I'll get some in tomorrow before the match.

Saludos

Cool! Enjoy the match mate. The next Saturday we have a very hard final! Brazil vs Argentina. smile.gif

No matter what happens, I'm sure that it will be an amazing show.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 10 2021, 03:03 PM
Hola Gab,

We're in the final tomorrow against Italy, going to be a tough game and a silly night to have an important final like this one. Good luck to Argentina in their final.

Here is a video of me with the first finger twister lick, it's nearly there. The next one is hard because it is played pretty quickly and apart from that, my fingers still don't remember it rolleyes.gif

Sorry about the position of the halo.

https://youtu.be/NEqe9-x6qm4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2021, 07:23 PM
Instructor

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2021, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Gab,

I do tend to forget the extra fingers when bending in the middle of a lick. I'll work on that.

Life is getting in the way a bit lately so I have less time, tonight, just for a change, I worked on the creativity workshop, I'm trying to get a few different feelings in there. Fear, pain and relief.

I still did my bending practise, I'll do that forever from now on. I'm bending semi tones and whole tones now, I fret a note, bend a semi tone, release and bend a whole tone. Some evenings I'm more consistent than other evenings but it's is improving.

Nos hablamos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2021, 04:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update. It's normal, sometimes life gets on the way and we don't find enough time to practice or make music.

It can make a different if you can at least dedicate 15 minutes each day, or 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the night. But if it's not possible, do not stress, mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2021, 05:58 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah I've been doing a little bit each evening, mainly my bending practise and my tricky bits in Poor Man's Blues, then playing PMB a couple of times trying to match the lesson but at a slower speed.

Mornings are tricky, I'm up at 6am, washed and dressed and out of the house by 6:15am, in work at 6:30am and back home around 5:30pm

Saludos

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2021, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Oh yeah, you start very early. So maybe it's better to dedicate at least 15 minutes before going to sleep. But again, do not stress. Take it easy.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 14 2021, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I get in from work, have a shower, have dinner with my wife and spend an hour with her then normally have an hour - hour and half but I've had a lot of stuff to sort out lately so I've only been getting about 30 minutes so I streamlined my practise to focus on problem areas and the creativity workout which I've now posted to.

My creativity submission is a mini story, see if you can get the idea wink.gif

Normal practise will resume by the weekend with Gab's Army On Tour.

Nos hablamos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2021, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Nice friend! Thanks for your Creativity workout tune! I'll record my video response reacting to it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 22 2021, 09:05 PM
Hola Gab,

Hopefully I'm back now, work has been crazy with long days, I had a new car,personal life has been a bit hectic and my injury flared up again a little bit making it tricky to play.

Gab's Army is going on tour for 16 nights from tomorrow so a good bit of chilling out shoud help everything.

I've put a video in the Emotive Collab, it's my first real attempt and basically an improv after five minutes noodling around.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=791021

Nos hablamos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2021, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to hear that you are finally going on tour for many days! Well deserved. biggrin.gif

Nice to find a take from you in the Emotive Collab thread! I like your phrasing there. I can already hear what I'm going to play. I hope to find the time to record it this weekend. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2021, 08:40 PM
Thanks Gab,

The little slide from the E to the D# at the end of the first phrase is barely audible unfortunately, it sounds too upbeat to me, if I play it now, and emphasise that D#, it sounds more like an opening phrase to my ears. Never mind.

Nos hablamos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 27 2021, 02:00 PM
Hola Gab,

I'm still struggling with that second lick in bar 12 for some reason. My fingers keep going back to the lick before it sometimes and also I just can't get it up to speed. I've tried three note bursts which I can get to a decent speed but I just can't link them together at the moment.

I might go to the forum and see if anyone has some tips if that's okay with you.

I think a big part of it is that it is quite similar, at the beginning anyway, to the lick before it which is played more slowly.

Not sure if I'll get any practise tonight, it's our 30th wedding anniversary today and we're going out for a meal all covid secure.

Nos hablamos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2021, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Congrats on your anniversary! Enjoy your meal mate. smile.gif

Regarding the lick, have you tried working on smaller parts? You could divide it in 3 or even 4 parts.

Like this:

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 27 2021, 10:00 AM) *
I might go to the forum and see if anyone has some tips if that's okay with you.

Sure mate!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 27 2021, 04:13 PM
Thanks Gab,

Not that it matters, I get the idea, it's the lick after that one. As said above, I've tried three note bursts which I can do, but I just can't string them together. My fingers always try to go back to that lock that you're playing there. It's almost like they're saying, "nope, can't do that, we're going back to the one before, it's easier and slower" laugh.gif

That's why I thought I might try the forum, no disrespect but someone may have had a similar issue and found some weird unorthodox way of overcoming it.

It is played quite quickly in the lesson, for me anyway.

Cheers buddy.

Saludos

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2021, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Ah ok! I thought that you were talking about this one: LINK

I'd like to see a video of you playing that lick that is giving problems! Please share it here or at the practice room.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 28 2021, 08:36 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll share it here very soon, thing is, I wish I could forget that lock that you're playing because my fingers keep trying to play that when I try to play the one after it mad.gif

I'll put a message in the practise thread too, just in case someone has an unconventional idea.

I'm sure we'll work it out one way or another.

Nos hablamos amigo

UPDATE:
Due to have a pretty big day today, I only managed a small practise session BUT, strangely, I had a bit of a breakthrough, I managed to play the lick three times, slowly, after about thirty attempts. I'm convinced the issue is the tongue twister that is the first five notes of each lick , they are so close, same notes slightly different order and my fingers get confused, plus it's a bit too quick for me at the moment.

Todd contacted me via Facebook the other day, asking how I am doing as he hasn't seen me in Bootcamp for a while, I told him of my struggles with this lick and he offered to try and help, I'll share a video here and with Todd, unless it's okay for Todd to help out in here too? I don't know the rules about Webster it's okay for two instructors to work in the same thread.

I've decided not to post in the practise room, I think I'll get too many suggestions and it could overwhelm me.

To clarify it's the lick in red below, if you look at the lick in blue, which I can play though not like the lesson yet.

Saludos

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 28 2021, 09:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 29 2021, 09:12 PM
Hola Gab,

Further to the post above, here is a video, finally rolleyes.gif

I've left ALL mistakes and restarts in there, they will tell you more than anything but I do think I'm on the way now.

It's nothing like the lesson really, it's been so tricky for me I've just been trying (and still am) to get the note sequence down not taking much notice of the lesson at the moment.

I'll let Todd know it's here too, as he offered to help. If he's not allowed to comment here, he can comment in my Bootcamp or PM if he doesn't mind.

https://youtu.be/3nSNL8VUtmc

Nos hablamos amigo

P.S Video still uploading when I posted this, had 20 minutes left, upload speed is not good at my holiday home but they are working on new wi-fi smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

144 Pages V  « < 142 143 144
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2021 - 08:18 PM