2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Much To Charge For Private Lessons?, It's for my cousin
thefireball
Apr 3 2013, 08:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I have a 14 year-old cousin.
My cousin's mom was wanting me to tutor him once a week for 30 min or 1 hr. Not sure when we would start, but she said she would pay me. He's just beginning, though he does know a few chords. What should I charge in case his mom asks me? I don't wanna charge too much, but not too little either. They are family and it would be fun, I think.

Suggestions? I use USD.
Thanks.
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 3 2013, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
Transfered from european currency , here it starts around 15 usd an hour to 40 usd an hour

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Apr 3 2013, 08:44 PM
It's always a difficult call when family and charging for certain things is involved.

I guess it would depend on how close you are to those particular family members...

I think typically when you have an aunt or uncle offer to pay your for something that they know nothing about (assuming that the do not) then I'd honestly say your aunt is expecing you to say "oh no that's cool, I'll just show em some stuff" ....

HOWEVER, unless they've gotten really serious about the prospect of your little cuz learning guitar and looked into paid lessons........, then figured.... Hey, rather than pay a stranger... I'll just pay Brandon. If that's the case, then ask where/if they've looked into it and get a local rate then cut em some slack.... just so as to keep the peace, and not to offend anyone....

Definately though, I would first figure out how serious they are, versus just something to them is just passing the time.

Hope this makes sense and helps... smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2013, 09:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Apr 3 2013, 04:44 PM) *
It's always a difficult call when family and charging for certain things is involved.

I guess it would depend on how close you are to those particular family members...

I think typically when you have an aunt or uncle offer to pay your for something that they know nothing about (assuming that the do not) then I'd honestly say your aunt is expecing you to say "oh no that's cool, I'll just show em some stuff" ....

HOWEVER, unless they've gotten really serious about the prospect of your little cuz learning guitar and looked into paid lessons........, then figured.... Hey, rather than pay a stranger... I'll just pay Brandon. If that's the case, then ask where/if they've looked into it and get a local rate then cut em some slack.... just so as to keep the peace, and not to offend anyone....

Definately though, I would first figure out how serious they are, versus just something to them is just passing the time.

Hope this makes sense and helps... smile.gif

Excellent point of view. This is what makes it difficult. It's your time, your knowledge but it's difficult when it's a friend or a relative. In this cases the best is to follow mroberts thoughts. I have a similar situation nowadays and I charge him half what I would charge a normal private lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 3 2013, 11:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 3 2013, 08:11 PM) *
I have a 14 year-old cousin.
My cousin's mom was wanting me to tutor him once a week for 30 min or 1 hr. Not sure when we would start, but she said she would pay me. He's just beginning, though he does know a few chords. What should I charge in case his mom asks me? I don't wanna charge too much, but not too little either. They are family and it would be fun, I think.

Suggestions? I use USD.
Thanks.
Brandon

your time is the most valuable thing you have don't sell yourself short, be a good steward
I would think about 20 per half an hour( with the fifth lesson of the month for free if you want )

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 3 2013, 11:31 PM
If your Aunties Wealthy...charge 100 USD an hour minimum booking 10 lessons laugh.gif If she's not...then tell her you aint got time!! laugh.gif

Seriously...Its a difficult one...You are being put on the spot a bit...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 4 2013, 01:07 AM

€20.00 per hour for 'family'.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Apr 4 2013, 01:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 4 2013, 02:07 AM) *
€20.00 per hour for 'family'.

Haahahaah !

The old rule is: with the family you can eat and drink, helping each other, but don't do any business !! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Apr 4 2013, 02:04 AM
Top Answer! The God Father is wise indeed! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Apr 3 2013, 08:16 PM) *
Haahahaah !

The old rule is: with the family you can eat and drink, helping each other, but don't do any business !! wink.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 4 2013, 02:33 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks guys. I'm not really close with my Aunt, but I am with my cousin. He comes over all the time and we play Minecraft together. smile.gif She IS wealthy. haha they have several rent houses and a nice house and pool, BUT i don't wanna come across MONEY MONEY MONEY! haha i hope she will just tell me and ask if that's okay, but I fear that may not happen. She has mentioned lessons before (last summer). She brought it up again, and my cousin told me, after she watch my latest video, Mount Kilimanjaro.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Apr 4 2013, 02:34 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Sinisa's and Mark's perspectives are to be payed attention to!

If you decide to work with the lil' dude:

- people that don't pay for something, don't see the real value of that, be it a product, service or the likes
- your time is the most precious resource you have - use it wisely!

I started working with a friend's brother in teaching him guitar and my friend was a bit upset - 'Hey man, how come he has to pay?'

'It's simple' I said - 'He will value what he learns here 10 times more and pay attention ten times more, because he gives something for it. If you really want him to learn, it's the best way'

The brother is working and he doesn't get the money from his parents or anything, so it's not a problem, but you know how people usually run after free stuff smile.gif

My Sensei has the same approach - we usually pay 20 bucks for the trimestrial seminar/ exam routine. He told me the same thing - if it were free, you guys wouldn't pay that much attention, but when it's something you pay for, you are there body and soul. It's how the westerners function.

On the other hand, Iwami Soke - the master of our school in Japan, DOES NOT charge anything for his training sessions, BUT he doesn't accept just anybody smile.gif

Brandon - in the end, you must see that your time and skills don't go to waste and I am sure you will take the right decision smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 4 2013, 09:09 AM
Tell him that bring you beer package or smoked Ham every class...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Apr 4 2013, 09:11 AM

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 4 2013, 09:47 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 4 2013, 08:45 AM) *
The brother is working and he doesn't get the money from his parents or anything, so it's not a problem, but you know how people usually run after free stuff smile.gif

I'm glad you said that Cosmin...I deleted a bit in my post about people and freebies....so that's why I changed it to being put on the spot.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 4 2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Hard task. Working with family is always something that...can go wrong smile.gif I've got my personal rule. Make Your family same price as anyone else...and pay them same as You would pay anyone else for other services. The thing that You let to give cash to Your family or friends is worth more than giving it to some stranger. It's already a profit and the one next is...You can always trust more that the job will be done 100% like it should be.

Things like " do it for less money cause I KNOW YOU or YOUR MY FAMILY" works like..."man...I'll do it later...I have to make my regular jobs first of all...". So...when I go to my friend to make me any service...I give him his regular cash amount...and I would appreciate if He will do the same with me smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 4 2013, 11:33 AM
Learning Roadie
I agree with Cosmin but if it's his mother that's paying you, then he isn't sacrificing anything for the lessons. I'd go all Mr Miyagi and get him to do chores for you in return for lessons, if he can free up an hour of your time, he gets an hour lesson. Also put something in place to check he is practicing, there is nothing worse than someone coming back each week and still not progressing due to lack of practice (just ask any of my previous teachers!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2013, 11:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 4 2013, 09:36 AM) *
Hard task. Working with family is always something that...can go wrong smile.gif I've got my personal rule. Make Your family same price as anyone else...and pay them same as You would pay anyone else for other services. The thing that You let to give cash to Your family or friends is worth more than giving it to some stranger. It's already a profit and the one next is...You can always trust more that the job will be done 100% like it should be.

Things like " do it for less money cause I KNOW YOU or YOUR MY FAMILY" works like..."man...I'll do it later...I have to make my regular jobs first of all...". So...when I go to my friend to make me any service...I give him his regular cash amount...and I would appreciate if He will do the same with me smile.gif

You're absolutely right man!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 4 2013, 12:09 PM
Instructor
thanx Cosmin !

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Apr 4 2013, 01:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
No money but once a month some fine meal together and having fun !

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 4 2013, 04:03 PM
Learning Roadie
I remember when I talked with my parents about this and I was saying $20/hr, my mom said that's not very much. So maybe double that? $40/hr? Seems fair - and he lives just a few minutes down the road. That would take care of gas - my car gets 27 mpg. But I hope she will just come right out and say $50/hr or something! biggrin.gif Seriously, my cousin is always telling me new things he is going to get. His mom spoils him, and to just simply say spoil is an understatement. So i know they have money. It will just put me on the spot if she asks me. Surely she knows that though.

I think a person can be serious if they aren't paying though. I was taking piano lessons with my Dad, and he was the one who payed. But he still made sure I practiced. I'm sure I could get my aunt to make sure my cousin practices. I do wanna make it fun, but there does need to be the obvious structure. Though I don't know a whole lot of theory, I think we can make it work. I can teach him what I know. I can play, and I started just where he is. He's going to have to get his guitar first though. He's supposed to be getting a paint job on it.

My dad did say, don't commit until you start your new job. True, in a few weeks I will be starting my first full time job.

Thanks for the advice. wink.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Apr 4 2013, 08:06 PM
That's mainly the reason I said before that it really depended on how close you were to the family member. Sometimes we have those ones we don't see often unless they want something and those are the ones I would charge full price or more so they get the idea....

Whatever you do, don't ever sell yourself short. That should always be your first rule for yourself!

As far as what any of us have advised here....., well that's just it, it's just advice. Only you can gauge what needs to be done. If I had that spoiled cousin who got whatever they wanted at the drop of a hat, then I'd make it known that my time was just as valuable.

Good luck and congrats on the new FT job...!

QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 4 2013, 11:03 AM) *
I remember when I talked with my parents about this and I was saying $20/hr, my mom said that's not very much. So maybe double that? $40/hr? Seems fair - and he lives just a few minutes down the road. That would take care of gas - my car gets 27 mpg. But I hope she will just come right out and say $50/hr or something! biggrin.gif Seriously, my cousin is always telling me new things he is going to get. His mom spoils him, and to just simply say spoil is an understatement. So i know they have money. It will just put me on the spot if she asks me. Surely she knows that though.

I think a person can be serious if they aren't paying though. I was taking piano lessons with my Dad, and he was the one who payed. But he still made sure I practiced. I'm sure I could get my aunt to make sure my cousin practices. I do wanna make it fun, but there does need to be the obvious structure. Though I don't know a whole lot of theory, I think we can make it work. I can teach him what I know. I can play, and I started just where he is. He's going to have to get his guitar first though. He's supposed to be getting a paint job on it.

My dad did say, don't commit until you start your new job. True, in a few weeks I will be starting my first full time job.

Thanks for the advice. wink.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:32 PM