Damn This Sweep Picking! Is It Really That Hard?, Left hand sweep pretzle fingers
Funguy
Feb 16 2010, 06:11 AM
GMC:er
I've been working on sweep picking for about a year now. I actually got started with it when I first discovered Masterclass. I can sweep major and minor patterns and other variations of the such with 16th notes at about 130 BPM cleanly (and that's only on a really good day) anything faster than that is tripping my left hand up like its got the downs syndrome or something... I practice moderately. Sometimes sitting down for about three hours or more.. sometimes two, and sometimes I won't get to practice for a day or two because of my demanding schedule with a band and going to school... Anyway...

I need to get faster at sweeping to pull of some impressive soloing in the new material my band is writing. I need to get to 160 BPM or better. I know practice practice practice but when I try to do it faster my fingers just won't have it, and so I feel like I really can't practice sweeping and faster because it sounds horrible and I may be developing bad technique habit in doing so...

Aside from rigorous practicing, can anyone offer advice on how to get faster at this sweep picking arpeggio maddness mayhem destruction balls to the wall?

Also, check out my band: Myspace.com/ourmalignantbeloved

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Feb 16 2010, 07:22 AM
First of all, have you tried to practice with a metronome? It's really important to keep your playing clean and in time. It would be great also if you can upload a video of you playing some sweeps, so we can see if there are any mistakes on your playing

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Feb 16 2010, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Just take your time - sweeping is one of the trickiest techniques to master. If your limit is 130bpm, you should practice at that tempo for a while, so it feels comfortable and you can do it consistently. Then push the tempo up in increments of 3-5 bpm. The speed will come eventually. wink.gif

You shouldn't be pressured by time. That "I-need-to-get-to-160" attitude is not doing you any good. It just puts unnecessary pressure on you, with the risk to develop bad habits. Do you really think sweeping is a must for producing a killer solo? I don't. Just do what you do best on those songs (while in the meantime you keep developing your technique biggrin.gif ) . Good luck.

And btw, welcome to GMC! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2010, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Welcome aboard Funguy. I believe Damir is right, you shouldn't pressure yourself too much. The goal of speed comes with accuracy and time.

In times when I couldn't go any faster, I actually slowed down things quite a bit to find out what may be wrong with my technique on problematic parts. And you know what? I found many sloppy moves in my playing on ultra slow tempos (40bpm, quarter notes). If you try to play same sweep on that kind of a tempo fludily, and increase speed gradually you will actually learn much more faster and more effective. It may sound untrue, but you should definitely try.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 16 2010, 05:21 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Funguy
Feb 17 2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys smile.gif I never practice without a metronome and I don't leave home without it, since it's an app on my iphone smile.gif I read about a method of practicing, where you start at a really slow tempo, like 50 BPM, then go up to a faster tempo like 90BPM, then back to 55, then 95 then 60, then 100, 65, 105, 70, 110.. and so on.. I find that this helps with accuracy a lot and it is really affective.

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Feb 17 2010, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Funguy @ Feb 17 2010, 03:10 AM) *
Thanks for all the tips guys smile.gif I never practice without a metronome and I don't leave home without it, since it's an app on my iphone smile.gif I read about a method of practicing, where you start at a really slow tempo, like 50 BPM, then go up to a faster tempo like 90BPM, then back to 55, then 95 then 60, then 100, 65, 105, 70, 110.. and so on.. I find that this helps with accuracy a lot and it is really affective.

I'm doing a similar thing when practicing, so yes - I think the method is good. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 27 2010, 01:42 AM
Instructor
get down to the basics of the technique. Master two strings first! feel in your hands the right movement, strength, position and memorize it and then move on to 3 strings...

practice in various positions of the guitar so that it doesn't get tedious...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 7 2010, 06:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its a good method as well as playing over your comfort zone (even if it sounds really sloppy) and then backing up to previous tempo which you had problems with - that will feel easier then.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Mar 7 2010, 10:12 PM
all good advice here...also i would add, try not to get too bogged down with technique - just as much satisfaction can be gained from writing a really cool tune, or coming up with a new chord sequence...

This post has been edited by Conrad Harpham: Mar 7 2010, 10:13 PM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 7 2010, 11:44 PM
Instructor

That's a pretty good method. I like to start slow and stay slow if I build up speed, needs some time but it's the only way to chase those really fast tempos.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 27 2010, 02:50 PM
Jazz Instructor
Sweeping is tricky, because it requires coordination and synchronization of left and right hand. It isn't like alternate picking, where you have to work on speed. It's one of the most difficult techniques to master!

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 1 2010, 07:56 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Hmm... I tried that but the only thing that helped me with is that I had my fretting hand more loosen. The key to practice sweeping is that you have to eliminate all the unwanted notes at a slow tempo. Keep practicing and slowly adjust the tempo by 5 or less BPM. When you practice something new you shouldn't skip a single day, if nothing else, practice for a half hour.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:41 PM