2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Twisted Ice Cream Collaboration, funky/fusion style
Darius Wave
May 20 2013, 06:08 PM
Instructor
Welcome to my third collaboration at GMC called

"Twisted ICE CREAM" collaboration

Attached Image

Ok...this time ain't gonna be so easy. It's a funky backing with a little bit of fusion flavour. One scale would not be enough to play over the whole progression. In the description below You can find which scales can be used. Of course any original ideas can be matched if the add something extra to the feeling of this track.
Because some of You are new to improvising over different mods in same song I would like to treat this collab similar to the Poor Puppy collab. What I meant by that is You record the solo, I add some feedback/advices, You redo the solo. Some of You already know that this worked with the Poor Puppy collab and we made something really HUGE. I would like to repeat that.
You can always count on my help/advice after I hear the first take and then I can point the places where some notes are bad or just could be better smile.gif

Let's do some descent collab once again!

Who's IN ?smile.gif

Backing track:
Attached File  twisted_ice_cream_collab_backing.mp3 ( 2.33MB ) Number of downloads: 448

Please download the backing track and play over ONE FULL chord progression. You can easily feel there are two different parts - verse and the chorus. Verse is simplier than chorus. I would like You to try both even If some of You could hesitate - remember - I'll help smile.gif Watch out for some "evil notes" in chords like Csus4/Bb (replace B with Bb), Em9 + Em7 (replace F with F#). Replacements are done in the regular A-aeolian minor. After changing those notes the name of the scale would change but I want You to focus only on the single notes that are different for those scales.

Chord progression:

Verse:
4/4 Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em |
4/4 Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em | Am add9 | F Em |

Chorus:

4/4 Dm7 | Dm7 | Dm9 | Dm9 | Csus4/Bb | Csus4/Bb | C/Bb | c/Bb |
4/4 Em9 | Em9 | Em7 | Em7 | Csus4/Bb | Csus4/Bb | C/Bb | C/Bb |

Key - A-minor

Tempo - 120 bpm

Scales You can use:

A-aeolian minor / D-dorian mode / C-major (on the whole verse and Dm7, Dm9 chords)

Bb-lydian / F-major / C-mixolydian mode (Csus4/Bb or C/Bb chords)

E-aeolian minor (on the Em7 chord)

Example -

Deadline - 15.06.2013

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: May 20 2013, 06:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 25 2013, 01:33 PM
GMC:er
I'm in Darius! This should help my identify those 'target' notes we talked about!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 27 2013, 05:30 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I'm in too! cool.gif It will be a fun challenge with the chorus part of the track. I will record a solo over both the verse/chorus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 27 2013, 08:37 AM
Instructor
Great! It would be nice to see Your first take at my collab DeGroot! Your playing is vert smooth and clean,That would be something cool! smile.gif

Sensibile Jones - give me Your take and we'll see biggrin.gif I tried to highlight the "trouble spots" so hope this will help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
May 27 2013, 04:21 PM
Instructor
What an awesome backing track! It's time to move my old bones! I'm in! smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 28 2013, 04:58 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Here is my shot at this funky backing track. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/darius-waves-fusion-funk

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 29 2013, 08:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 28 2013, 03:58 AM) *
Here is my shot at this funky backing track. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/darius-waves-fusion-funk

Well done smile.gif You nicely flew over whole track and all harmony changes smile.gif Also...love the soft distortion shredding - always sounds good to me smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 29 2013, 11:13 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 29 2013, 07:37 AM) *
Well done smile.gif You nicely flew over whole track and all harmony changes smile.gif Also...love the soft distortion shredding - always sounds good to me smile.gif

Thanks Darius smile.gif I'm new to playing fusion and funk styles. I may have kept it a bit too busy/shreddy overall in my opinion. biggrin.gif
I watched the collab video a bunch of times and was inspired by the cool phrasing and well placed shredding. SOmething more to work on in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 29 2013, 11:26 AM
Instructor
Yeah it might be a bit too much of it if this would only Your song - i mean 3 minutes of too much shredding would not be ok tongue.gif But...I found Your take could be great as an ending take so there is a place for Your shredding in sense of all takes that would be done for this track smile.gif

+Quote Post
Davenport
May 30 2013, 02:15 PM
GMC:er
Very nice Degroot ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 30 2013, 10:40 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Davenport @ May 30 2013, 01:15 PM) *
Very nice Degroot ohmy.gif

Thanks Davenport!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 3 2013, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Come on guys! We need more of Your cool playing! smile.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Jun 7 2013, 12:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Darius, this ain't really my type of style I'm more of a metal head or maybe blues fan but I'm going to have a go.
I've only recorded over the first part because I wanted to know if I'm heading in the right direction so it's rough at the moment.
I've tried to use chord tones (something I haven't done before) over the first half of the verse then to use the minor scale over the second half. I want to start recognising the notes I'm actually playing instead of just following scale patterns, so if you could give me a few tips to finish it.https://soundcloud.com/llibach/darius-collab
:

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 7 2013, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jun 6 2013, 11:12 PM) *
Hey Darius, this ain't really my type of style I'm more of a metal head or maybe blues fan but I'm going to have a go.
I've only recorded over the first part because I wanted to know if I'm heading in the right direction so it's rough at the moment.
I've tried to use chord tones (something I haven't done before) over the first half of the verse then to use the minor scale over the second half. I want to start recognising the notes I'm actually playing instead of just following scale patterns, so if you could give me a few tips to finish it.https://soundcloud.com/llibach/darius-collab
:

This was tasty mate! Scales are not the purpose. They just help us understand what we do and explain to others. They can be helpfull when You search for the "right spots" on the neck but...What You did is something that should be always done as a first - listen to Your heart smile.gif Your melodic playing is very nice. I want to keep that take for building the tension at the begonning of the song. You didn't try the chorus - that's were the scales issues start smile.gif Thanks for the recording!

+Quote Post
llibach
Jun 11 2013, 12:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've done the whole track now smile.gif . Listening back I can hear a few timing issues and the faster runs are far from accurate but I'm playing at the edge of my comfort zone and it's late and I'm tired so it's gonna have to do tongue.gif
If I get time I might try and record a cleaner more precise version by the deadline.
https://soundcloud.com/llibach/darius-collab

This post has been edited by llibach: Jun 11 2013, 09:59 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 11 2013, 11:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jun 10 2013, 11:41 PM) *
I've done the whole track now smile.gif . Listening back I can hear a few timing issues and the faster runs are far from accurate but I'm playing at the edge of my comfort zone and it's late and I'm tired so it's gonna have to do tongue.gif
If I get time I might try and record a cleaner more precise version by the deadline.
https://soundcloud.com/llibach/darius-collab

Thank for Your take! The good news is Your overall feel and melody building is pretty nice. You already know that it needs some work to get it more precise but...I believe You could do this. My advice is get a good warm up before making the take and maybe try to find some basic concepts for the chorus. You found the correct notes for the scales chaniging but try to connect them with some melody that is colored with technique...not the opposite smile.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Jun 11 2013, 12:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 11 2013, 11:54 AM) *
Thank for Your take! The good news is Your overall feel and melody building is pretty nice. You already know that it needs some work to get it more precise but...I believe You could do this. My advice is get a good warm up before making the take and maybe try to find some basic concepts for the chorus. You found the correct notes for the scales chaniging but try to connect them with some melody that is colored with technique...not the opposite smile.gif

Ok, I think I get your point. Find a nice melody first and then see how I can apply some technique to it instead of deciding that I'm gonna do a legatto run or a tapping section etc and just using notes or patterns that I know will fit, is that right?
Not sure I know what you mean about finding basic concepts for the chorus can you give me a suggestion?

This post has been edited by llibach: Jun 11 2013, 12:48 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 11 2013, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jun 11 2013, 11:46 AM) *
Ok, I think I get your point. Find a nice melody first and then see how I can apply some technique to it instead of deciding that I'm gonna do a legatto run or a tapping section etc and just using notes or patterns that I know will fit, is that right?
Not sure I know what you mean about finding basic concepts for the chorus can you give me a suggestion?

Yes! smile.gif You understand it exactly like it should be smile.gif Making tricks over some solid melody basis is something that makes difference between musicians and just a skilled amateurs. We should always look at playing from this side and I think You are able to squeeze yourselft to do this cause You got good sense of melody.

+Quote Post
llibach
Jun 13 2013, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey darius, I need some help. What notes or phrases can I put over those Dm chords at the start of the chorus I just can't seem to get anything to fit?
I know you say it's still A aeolian but I just can't get it to work I've also tried hitting the chord tones of them but it still sounds poor. mad.gif

This post has been edited by llibach: Jun 13 2013, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 14 2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jun 13 2013, 10:07 PM) *
Hey darius, I need some help. What notes or phrases can I put over those Dm chords at the start of the chorus I just can't seem to get anything to fit?
I know you say it's still A aeolian but I just can't get it to work I've also tried hitting the chord tones of them but it still sounds poor. mad.gif

When I have a "no concept, no idea" situation I just plug the microphone and try to sing and record with no guitar in my hands. We wlawys have some habbits that sometimes make us play what fingers say...not what's in our heads. Try to make a break, relax, don't touch the guitar and just try to sing the melody. Imagination is limitless...it has no positions, practiced licks etc...try to use it much more smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:43 AM