Backing Track Software, ..for Apple Users
Nighthawk1
Feb 25 2009, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC,
I have just found myself confused that it doesn't really seem to be possible creating an own backing track, let's say a simple chord progression with GarageBand. Even though there are 2 ways of creating stuff, they still both dont fit to my purpose
1. You can use loops and modulate them (the chords, notes, pitch etc.)
2. You can record your own progression with a midi-keyboard or the PC-Keyboard.
But I only want to create something by my own using my mouse and that doesn't seem to be possible. What software do you Mac Users out there use to create Backing Tracks? Do you create them and the import then into the sequencer?
Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 25 2009, 05:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm when editing midi track you can always "draw" notes on the sheet with your mouse (instead of midi keyboard)..At least in all recording software I used (didn't use GarageBand and ones on Mac)...Once you have notes down you need to assign the backing track to some VST (virtual instruments) to get it playing.

But for easy backings creation you can use software like Band in a Box - there is a mac version of it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Feb 25 2009, 05:06 PM
That's the thing, this dragging doesn't seem to be possbile. I just can drag around those notes on the sheet of the loops (modulating them) but I can not go freehand and create something with the mouse

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 25 2009, 05:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Feb 25 2009, 05:06 PM) *
That's the thing, this dragging doesn't seem to be possbile. I just can drag around those notes on the sheet of the loops (modulating them) but I can not go freehand and create something with the mouse

Hm .. i think you can.
If you want to edit (add notes) to a midi loop. Select the software track, press Apple+E to open the editor window. While holding the Apple key, the cursor icon is changing to a pen and you can click with the mouse to add notes.

Is this what you are looking for?

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Feb 25 2009, 06:28 PM
That's really helpful wrk thanks for that. I was looking for that feature in the editor. But why doesn't this work when adding an empty track? It just seems to work when there is a loop - do you know what I mean?

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Feb 25 2009, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 25 2009, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Feb 25 2009, 06:28 PM) *
That's really helpful wrk thanks for that. I was looking for that feature in the editor. But why doesn't this work when adding an empty track? It just seems to work when there is a loop - do you know what I mean?

True, you need to have a loop in the timeline, it's something like a container to keep the notes. I think there is no short cut to create an empty container, but you have two ways:

- drag a midi loop from the library and delete all the notes inside. When you drag a loop to timeline, you create a copy of this loop. All modifications you will do, will not effect the original loop from the library .. so don't worry smile.gif
- hit record and play one note with the keyboard (Apple+K). Then you create a new container and you can add notes with the mouse as you like.

Let me know if you need more help .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Feb 26 2009, 03:30 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 25 2009, 06:42 PM) *
True, you need to have a loop in the timeline, it's something like a container to keep the notes. I think there is no short cut to create an empty container, but you have two ways:

- drag a midi loop from the library and delete all the notes inside. When you drag a loop to timeline, you create a copy of this loop. All modifications you will do, will not effect the original loop from the library .. so don't worry smile.gif
- hit record and play one note with the keyboard (Apple+K). Then you create a new container and you can add notes with the mouse as you like.

Let me know if you need more help .. smile.gif

Thanks you! Very helpful..how do you make your backing tracks?

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 26 2009, 11:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Feb 26 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Thanks you! Very helpful..how do you make your backing tracks?

I don't do complex backing tracks. I just create backings for practicing or to jam. Simple piano or synth cord progressions, bass and drums. I got Addictive Drums as an external VST, which is great. The rest are the software instruments which come with GB. For sure i need to learn more about arranging and composing backings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:03 PM