2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Djent Nearing Its End?, Don't fall in to the trap
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2017, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
They say when a genre becomes too predictable and all the bands in it start sounding the same, using the same gear, etc. That the genre is near Death. It seems Djent is on the edge of the Grim Reapers blade Imho.

I keep getting recommendations to check out various bands and it's always the same combo.

1.)Skerveson or Strandberg (or both) guitar
2.)Axe Fx
3.)Pro Tone Pedals (or some trendy boutique pedal)
4.)Hesu Cab (or other trendy boutique cab)
5.)Lots of single note licks that are locked to the kick drum ala Meshuggah/Periphery
6.)More than 6 strings minimum. Usually 8.

The result is often music that sounds very, very, very similar. You could close your eyes and mistake it for periphery at any point. I get that these bands were influence by Meshuggah/Periphery, heck who hasn't been?

Sadly, the music and the tone is starting to run together so much that it's getting hard to tell one band from another. Case in point, these guys. Well played, well produced, even well written. Just falls prey to the "sameness" that seems to be infecting so many bands. We already have a Periphery and a Meshuggah. We don't need 100 more bands doing the same thing. If you write music and use an 8 string, try to do something vastly different with it. Don't fall in to the trap that so many bands seem to be falling in to. Most of all, don't sound like every other band using this schtick. Sound like you, sound original smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 20 2017, 02:10 AM
7*) Make sure your band or artist name is related to Space/Quantum Terminology.
I see this a lot specially in the so call Modern Prog Djent/Metal.

Here's something different yet 8 stringy. Dunno if its your thing though tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 20 2017, 02:11 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 20 2017, 06:45 AM
Small world smile.gif LITTLE TYBEE is a local Georgia band, the State I live in. They are named for Tybee Island off the coast of Savannah GA smile.gif The first time I saw them was helping my buddy Matt record them live for his video podcast indieatl.com which features local and national bands. The guy on guitar was playing a 7620 Ibby at the time. This was several years ago, so I"ve known about them for a while. They are one of the few bands I can think of who don't follow the DJENT rules despite a guy playing an 8 String Ibby smile.gif

I dig em smile.gif They have a really unique sound that mixes wads of bits together. Good pull there! I hope they are indicative of things to come in that they take an entirely different approach. Also, a band like COVET (although they do fall prey to the main guitar player using a strandberg wink.gif Yvette Young, the lead guitar player is amazing imho. Very light and jazzy though so nothing very "djenty" about it other than the strandberg and protone pedals and Hesu bits she uses smile.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 19 2017, 09:10 PM) *
7*) Make sure your band or artist name is related to Space/Quantum Terminology.
I see this a lot specially in the so call Modern Prog Djent/Metal.

Here's something different yet 8 stringy. Dunno if its your thing though tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 20 2017, 06:51 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 20 2017, 07:06 AM
Ye! I am a big fan. Bands such as the ones mentioned often work as soundtrack for our late night magic: the gathering games. tongue.gif
Was checking some tour dates and CHON, Tera Melos, Covet, & Little Tybee going be features The Homey Tour. That sounds like a hell of a good time!

Sadly one of the draw backs of living in Europe is not being able to seem them live and even when they come, Portugal is often not a stopping point. When they usually tour around here often Spain is the end of the road...sad.gif

On a more djently kind of way, have you hear Jason Richardson's solo album?

Kinda reminds me of a Metalcorish Dream Theater. I quite liked it.
It has your "djenty chugs here and there" but the background in which they are layered makes so it drift of the generic djent stuff. Imo.
Not to mention the scary technical playing.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 21 2017, 03:31 AM
As many music critiques and music reviewers who do heavy music will tell you, the first time they hear a single note low B tied to a kick drum, they just tune out. Sadly, I find myself doing that more and more lately. I was a HUGE fan for a while. But it's all just starting to run together. Open string single note chug tied to the kick drum has just run it's course for me. They don't usually use chords as chords don't work that low, not very well any way. So they are limited as much by the instruments as the genre itself. I still like heavy music and I still dig Meshuggah and Periphery, I'm just getting tired of the two thousand other bands that sound just like them. I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden or something instead. But that's just me smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 20 2017, 02:06 AM) *
Ye! I am a big fan. Bands such as the ones mentioned often work as soundtrack for our late night magic: the gathering games. tongue.gif
Was checking some tour dates and CHON, Tera Melos, Covet, & Little Tybee going be features The Homey Tour. That sounds like a hell of a good time!

Sadly one of the draw backs of living in Europe is not being able to seem them live and even when they come, Portugal is often not a stopping point. When they usually tour around here often Spain is the end of the road... sad.gif

On a more djently kind of way, have you hear Jason Richardson's solo album?

Kinda reminds me of a Metalcorish Dream Theater. I quite liked it.
It has your "djenty chugs here and there" but the background in which they are layered makes so it drift of the generic djent stuff. Imo.
Not to mention the scary technical playing.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 21 2017, 04:09 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 21 2017, 03:31 AM) *
As many music critiques and music reviewers who do heavy music will tell you, the first time they hear a single note low B tied to a kick drum, they just tune out. Sadly, I find myself doing that more and more lately. I was a HUGE fan for a while. But it's all just starting to run together. Open string single note chug tied to the kick drum has just run it's course for me. They don't usually use chords as chords don't work that low, not very well any way. So they are limited as much by the instruments as the genre itself. I still like heavy music and I still dig Meshuggah and Periphery, I'm just getting tired of the two thousand other bands that sound just like them. I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden or something instead. But that's just me smile.gif

Todd

I can totally relate!
Seeing as this particular genre isn't something I listen to with regularity, the only band I constantly go to is Periphery and that's it tbh, I guess is easier for me to forgive! Regardless, I 100% agree with you. Djent it self seems kind homogenic.

Another trendy thing I have come to notice for a while, which falls into the same pit hole imo. Its instrumental guitar oriented music. I swear that if go to youtube a big % will probably sound like a polyphia, plini rip off, or whatever.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 21 2017, 04:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 22 2017, 08:23 AM
Very true. It almost reminds me of the rise of "Glam Metal" (at least Meshuggah clones are cloning a cool band though) where all the "hair bands" started to look exactly the same, and sound exactly the same, because a few got traction on MTV and Radio. Now that youtube is the place were most folks find new music, it makes sense that musicians would want to play complex music, but the originality element seems to be on the wane just a pinch. It's just too easy to make a song that sounds like periphery imho. Get your 8 string strandberg, axe fx, superior drummer and bam. You've got the makings of a djent tune. Find someone to scream/bark/growl over top of it and Bob's your uncle.

I hope that bands start to deviate a bit and focus on creating something new. Even if it's not Heavy. That's why I mentioned Covet (which features a gal on lead guitar, though she is playing a strandberg) and someone mentioned Tybee Island, who are also pushing boundaries. I look forward to hearing music from you guys actually and I hope that it sounds as different as you can make it from the current open low string chunk tied to the kick drum as you can get.

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 20 2017, 11:09 PM) *
I can totally relate!
Seeing as this particular genre isn't something I listen to with regularity, the only band I constantly go to is Periphery and that's it tbh, I guess is easier for me to forgive! Regardless, I 100% agree with you. Djent it self seems kind homogenic.

Another trendy thing I have come to notice for a while, which falls into the same pit hole imo. Its instrumental guitar oriented music. I swear that if go to youtube a big % will probably sound like a polyphia, plini rip off, or whatever.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2017, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Djent is dying??? Right now I'm starting to get into Animals as leaders!! ohmy.gif I thought that I was a mature person who understood that it's more enjoyable to get into a music style at their peak, not when it's end! laugh.gif

Just kidding. This is something natural and happens with any style that becomes popular. I'm curious about what's next... what do you think?
Where is the heavy music going?

Song that I like a lot:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 22 2017, 10:14 PM
That is QUITE good! If you read the comment from a post above you'll notice that its been said that wads of bands are trying to copy PLINI and POLYPHIA just as bad as folks were trying to copy Meshuggah and Periphery not too long ago. PLINI are sort of the updated version of periphery imho, embracing more variant styles and more dynamics to get to a newer sound.

Folks seem to have taken notice as I am seeing tons of bands/bedroom musicians trying to sound this way. As for what's next It seems BLACk/TECH metal has reached it's speed limit. The human body can only blast beat so fast. My hope is that the next "wave" of Metal will incorporate what made NWOBHM so darn good. Also, I hope folks can add vocals back that are agressive, but not purely bark/growl, then clean singing chorus ala Death Core.

Only by infusing elements from other styles (Jazz/synth wave/folk) can Metal evolve IMHO. As a genre it can be quite limiting. Black Metal for example, is pretty rigid in terms of structure and what is "allowed" which is why so many folks keep issuing death threats to MYRKUR. I love her stuff personally. But then again, I was never married to Black Metal the way some folks are.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 22 2017, 11:17 AM) *
Djent is dying??? Right now I'm starting to get into Animals as leaders!! ohmy.gif I thought that I was a mature person who understood that it's more enjoyable to get into a music style at their peak, not when it's end! laugh.gif

Just kidding. This is something natural and happens with any style that becomes popular. I'm curious about what's next... what do you think?
Where is the heavy music going?

Song that I like a lot:

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 22 2017, 11:03 PM
I think there's gonna be two types of djent in the furute(and now) there's gonna be the standard run of the mill stuff like Periphery and periphery clones. Then there's gonna be stuff like Amogh Symphony which uses microtonal guitars, uses folk instruments, have improvised sections and take about 5 years to create an album. I'm not sure if it still djents though.

To say the least it's very creative.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 23 2017, 04:02 AM
I don't know if you read my post just above yours, but that's just about what I wrote as well as far as original bands using folks bits and jazzy bits (improv). I do dig that Amogh vid, thanks for the intro to them smile.gif i think we may see a decline in periphery clones as time goes on. Hopefully. As music splinters more, there will be more room for more original stuff, hopefully smile.gif

I can hear Thubla drums in there which is cool. It's a traditional indian drum. Also I see the name Singh in the credits. That name is associated with the SIKH (warrior) caste in India. Good to see them making cool music now that their military function has lessened to a degree.

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 22 2017, 06:03 PM) *
I think there's gonna be two types of djent in the furute(and now) there's gonna be the standard run of the mill stuff like Periphery and periphery clones. Then there's gonna be stuff like Amogh Symphony which uses microtonal guitars, uses folk instruments, have improvised sections and take about 5 years to create an album. I'm not sure if it still djents though.

To say the least it's very creative.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 23 2017, 04:06 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 23 2017, 07:34 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 23 2017, 04:02 AM) *
I don't know if you read my post just above yours, but that's just about what I wrote as well as far as original bands using folks bits and jazzy bits (improv). I do dig that Amogh vid, thanks for the intro to them smile.gif i think we may see a decline in periphery clones as time goes on. Hopefully. As music splinters more, there will be more room for more original stuff, hopefully smile.gif

I can hear Thubla drums in there which is cool. It's a traditional indian drum. Also I see the name Singh in the credits. That name is associated with the SIKH (warrior) caste in India. Good to see them making cool music now that their military function has lessened to a degree.

Just out of curiosity, has any new fresh blood caught your hear nowadays, metal wise? Tbh it has been a pretty long time since i've obsessed over a metal band and I kinda miss it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 23 2017, 09:22 AM
It's been a while since I was really blown away by a new band. I miss it too smile.gif If anyone has been super wowed by a band recently, please do share smile.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 23 2017, 02:34 AM) *
Just out of curiosity, has any new fresh blood caught your hear nowadays, metal wise? Tbh it has been a pretty long time since i've obsessed over a metal band and I kinda miss it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Apr 23 2017, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 23 2017, 03:02 AM) *

I did read it yeah. I attribute my inspiration for my post to yours. And I think you're right in your prognosis of the djentosis.

And I have been really wowed by many bands lately. I recently heard Electric Youths song Runaway and that took me by surprise cause it's not usually something I'd be caught dead listening to.

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Apr 23 2017, 02:07 PM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 24 2017, 02:09 AM
Makes sense smile.gif I like your word DJENTOSIS. That should be adopted by the music press IMHO smile.gif I'm familiar with Sonic Youth of course, but Electric Youth is new so I can't wait to check them out smile.gif I find that I am forced to listen to things that I normally would have discarded out of hand in order to be suprised these days as I fear I"ve just listened to so much heavy music that I start hearing patterns in all of it and can even hear the chain of influences which can make music predictable. I remember the first time I was exposed to CARCASS, before Grindcore was a "Thing" and it really hit me hard. I was in to them right away. Same with some of the early Gothenburg bands. It seems that the music labels are getting more and more cautious as cd revenue continues to shrink at a rapid rate an streaming pennies are not making up for it. So they sign bands that sound like other bands that have done well in a genre. This has been true forever of course, but things would take a sudden shift now and again. Such as the rise of GRUNGE for example. The music world is so fragmented now, it almost seems to preclude the rise of a major "scene" in which to support something innovative. Then again, I hope I"m just DEAD WRONG and I'll soon find a rash of bands that blow me away smile.gif

Todd
EDIT: Just checked out some Electric Youth and I dig em smile.gif It's not heavy, but it reminds me of early 80's Synthwave stuff with pinches of Joy Division thrown in for good measure. I really like her voice. I would like to hear how she sounds with other backings as well. I enjoyed the mashup of Katie Perry and Periphery that some guy did a bit back. As i HATE katie perry I thought I'd hate this too, but with periphery behind her, I though it worked well smile.gif

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 23 2017, 09:03 AM) *
I did read it yeah. I attribute my inspiration for my post to yours. And I think you're right in your prognosis of the djentosis.

And I have been really wowed by many bands lately. I recently heard Electric Youths song Runaway and that took me by surprise cause it's not usually something I'd be caught dead listening to.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 24 2017, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2017, 03:29 AM
Instructor
The thread is turning really interesting.

Nowadays I find fresh music on styles that are not metal. I'm not sure if the reason is that I've heard a lot of metal along the years, or if there are not bands making fresh music.

Some cool non metal stuff that comes to mind now:

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 24 2017, 03:31 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2017, 03:24 AM
Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 26 2017, 09:19 AM
Instructor
I think it will depend more on the younger generation. We are used to musicians who where looking for how to be different while nowadays I often notice young people being fascinated on how to sound exactly like someone. Ido not judge, I only only think that the overall attitude they will follow to upcoming players will shape things as it usually happens.

I'm quite transparent about djent. There are some bands I enjoy to listen but as you said - at some point it starts to become borring when most of this stuff uses same drum samples, axe patches and rhytmical patterns.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 26 2017, 09:58 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 26 2017, 08:19 AM) *
I think it will depend more on the younger generation. We are used to musicians who where looking for how to be different while nowadays I often notice young people being fascinated on how to sound exactly like someone.

It would be very funny if when we grow old, the rich will buy 8 string "vintage" guitars like they do now with Gibson and Fender's biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 26 2017, 10:04 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 26 2017, 09:58 AM) *
It would be very funny if when we grow old, the rich will buy 8 string "vintage" guitars like they do now with Gibson and Fender's biggrin.gif

Your 70 year old granddad rocking his old Meshuggah riffs tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:55 AM