The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 04:47 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
hello all out there in GMC, I have a fairly simple question for you today.

In your oppinon, what is the greatest story ever told? whether it be from a book, movie, story of someones life that you know, or a video game, what is it and why?

I ask this for one reason, someone on another forum asked this question, and after reading all the posts, i discovered some amazing material, Book, Movies and everything else, i wanna see what you here at GMC Consider the greatest story ever told. and this usually leads to some great discussions about authors, directors ect.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Mine are....

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX - To sum it up, there amazingly rich stories in a vibrant and ever changing world with characters i can really relate to on every level.

Luca Turilli - Anything composed by this man creates a beautiful word, and his "Villains" if you will are some fantastic and very interesting people, as are his "Heros".

John Marco's The Eyes Of God Trilogy (Book) - This author creates a classic world of magic, warfare, and an incredibly complex story with such a wide varierty of characters, all who are completely differetn, all who take seperate journeys, yet there fates path always cross.

King Diamonds Abigail I and II, and Give Me Your Soul...Please - A delicious horror story with some great twists, it will make you wonder what is, what isnt, and what could be...

Richard Mathesons Hell House - The only authori to write the only book that scared me, wonderfully scary story. If King Diamond wrote books, i imagine it would be something like this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
SLASH91
Jul 18 2007, 04:57 AM
GMC:er
Heres mine:

The Wheel of Time Series: It is simply the most complex enjoyable series of books I've ever read.He's working on the twelth book right now.

GTAIII- GTA San Andreas: I've always enjoyed the rags-to-riches story line in these games.

24- I highly enjoy this TV drama because of its intense storyline.

Good thread, man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 05:06 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:57 PM) *
The Wheel of Time Series: It is simply the most complex enjoyable series of books I've ever read.He's working on the twelth book right now.

Ive only read the first 5 books, are the other ones just as good? and any idea when it ends, its probablt the longest series of book out there now.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 18 2007, 05:49 AM
Iliad and Odysy, told by Homer the Bard.. referred to in Blind Guardian Songs and Symphony X songs.. and the movie troy.. im also fascinated by the Coheed and Cambria book... In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth and Good Apollo im Burning IV.. i don't know what its really about other than from listening to Coheed.. sry metal heads i do enjoy coheed away from my metal .. deal with it smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 18 2007, 08:38 AM
Hmm, tough tough question, but i guess mine would be:

Harry Potter Books: Lets you dive into the world of magic, you have a blast reading every page of all these books, really its a great adventure.

Family Guy: laugh.gif Ive never seen any other TV series as funny as this one. Everytime i wanna get one of those rare laughs that feels like if you had made push-ups for hours. I love Family Guy!

The Godfather Movies: I love all these movies, takes you to the past and incredible but dangerous world of the Italian Mafia, and lets you see how real business was done. Creating an inmense and intense storyline, full of characters.

Mysteries & The Unknown: As a child, i was always interested in this type of stuff. Paranormal stuff, Demons, ghosts, the unknown. I still have a great interest in this kind of stuff. Stuff like Alines, UFOs have always intrigued me to learn more and discover.

Black House: A Stephen King horror book, one word: AMAZING. This book will take you to MILLIONS of places, with a terrible and scary plot sourrounding the story, this will make a fine addition to your library.!

thats about, for now tongue.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 18 2007, 08:40 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 18 2007, 09:19 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Hmm... this will be like a time travel back to the 70's, 80's and a brief touch down in the 90's.

Hallowed by thy name - Iron Maiden. Great voice, simple and interesting story. A man is to be executed and he stops for the few minutes he has left to think of his life, realizing and accepting the fact that he has to move on to another world.
When you know that your time is close at hand
Maybe then youll begin to understand
Life down there is just a strange illusion.

This ends the lyrics and the reminder of this story is told only with music and you can clearly follow his steps towards his destiny, his thoughts can be read through and feelings the music then the final death struggle.
And the finest part is that it's up to each and everyone to interpret things the way they like.

Theasy guys are so professional and really don't do things randomly, it's all though throug and delivered like a play at the theater.

There are more storis told by Maiden but this is one of the first I got stuck with. And after listening to this for 25 years it's still as interesting as ever.

Star Trek - The old stories, a TV series, I grew up with them and back then this was huge. To us geeks at least. biggrin.gif How fantastic to travel in space with a bunch of cool guys like Spock etc.

Space 1999 - Well, that too. A TV series. Moon slinged out of it's orbit, you see the strings attached to the space ships, a simple model of the base, ships flying at a non steady motion. How charming laugh.gif At that time this was hi-tech and I was sold, bought it all straight off.

Phantoms - Book by Dean R Koontz. Read it in the early -90's. I was scared for real and I just couldn't stop reading.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 18 2007, 10:03 AM
Greatest story? Hmmm, that's a big one.

Bilbo and Lord of the Rings:
An epic story with an amazing language and lore.

The Talisman by Stephen King:
The book preceding the The Black House. Well written story with great depth and many levels of interpretation, Fluidly written and some of the most annoying characterstics of S.K. is left out. For example, he can recurse into a description of a room for several pages and it doesn't add any atmosphere, you just get bored. This is not present in The Talisman. I consider this to be his best book but it doesn't seem to be appriciated by other S.K. fans. This is probably, along with Lord of the Ring, the book I've read most times.

The Belgarath series by David Eddings:
Another of the few fantasy series I like. Very fluid, lot's of humour.

Some movies have touched me deeply, but I can't come up with a single one right now and most of them are swedish and danish I guess.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a great adventure and it's told just like an adventure should be told.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 18 2007, 10:21 AM
Star Wars without a doubt.

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 18 2007, 12:17 PM
Other side of the coin
Greatest story every told... Changes for me frequently biggrin.gif Some that have stuck for 10 years or more, though:

Jorge Luis Borges: The Library of Babel; The Garden of Forking Paths; Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius - Just to mention three of his stories. He never wrote any books, only short (sometimes very short) stories, yet each of them holds enough concepts and relevance that another author would probably write an entire book. There's an English translation of The Library of Babel here. It's not the most fluid or enjoyable translation outthere - the best I've found are in this collection (you'll find a lot of disagreement on the translation on amazon - but this is, in my view, translated pretty much the way Borges himself would have translated it)

Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials - To me, the most relevant, human, piece of fantasy in existence. By extension, John Milton: Paradise Lost too.

Neil Gaiman et al: Sandman - All-encompassing. 75+ comics telling a story about stories, life, death... The one comic that everyone ought to read smile.gif

Dave McKean: Cages - Another comic, more "arty" and less fantasy-inspired than Sandman, but in the collected ca. 500 pages it describes an entire cosmos, dealing profoundly with just about everything that matters in life. That's quite an achievement smile.gif And the graphic art in this book is sublime, as always from McKean (who also wrote the story - a one-man project).

Those 4 stories (if we count Borges as one story) have a thing in common: They're modern myths. Mythical stories in the same way as Norse or Greek or Egyptian mythology, exploring major themes (life, death, identity, love, art etc.) directly, through fantasy stories.

The difference to the ancient mythologies is that they are told in a modern setting - with people who could be your friends, family or people you meet on the street. I was never a big fan of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars (which are often termed modern myths too), and it just now occurs to me it's probably because they're not modern myths to me, in the sense of the people involved - the characters of LOTR and Star Wars just never seemed quite human to me smile.gif

Interestingly, if we ignore Borges a bit, such great stories are mostly found in "children's books" and comics (Pullman himself discussed that once). I've read Dante, James Joyce, Homer etc., but none of them stuck with me - as stories - the way that those 4 did. I could probably add Harry Potter too, actually, but I'll wait until Saturday before doing that. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 18 2007, 01:19 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 18 2007, 02:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 18 2007, 12:06 AM) *
Ive only read the first 5 books, are the other ones just as good? and any idea when it ends, its probablt the longest series of book out there now.

I gave up at about book 6 - I am in awe at the landscapes he paints, the rich characters and the political interactions, but in my opinion he pads it out too much. If he had made the series just 6 books I would have been on the edge of my seat, as it was I lost interest in all of the political machinations.

Maybe I'll try again when they are all written so I can take them in order with no breaks - part of the problem is that you forget who all the characters are after waiting a year for the next book!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 18 2007, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 18 2007, 05:21 AM) *
Star Wars without a doubt.

I am beating myself up with a brick right now cause i forgot that!!

AHH!! HOW COULD I !?!?!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 18 2007, 03:26 PM
Ok, my picks would be (and some of these have already been mentioned)

Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Eddings, The Belgariad, the Mallorean, The Elenium and the Tamuli

Star Wars of Course

Star Trek TOS & TNG

Terry Pratchet - any and all books

Robert Heinlein - any and all books

I could go on, but those are my standouts!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 18 2007, 03:26 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 18 2007, 03:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 18 2007, 01:17 PM) *
Greatest story every told... Changes for me frequently biggrin.gif Some that have stuck for 10 years or more, though:

Jorge Luis Borges: The Library of Babel; The Garden of Forking Paths; Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius - Just to mention three of his stories. He never wrote any books, only short (sometimes very short) stories, yet each of them holds enough concepts and relevance that another author would probably write an entire book. There's an English translation of The Library of Babel here. It's not the most fluid or enjoyable translation outthere - the best I've found are in this collection (you'll find a lot of disagreement on the translation on amazon - but this is, in my view, translated pretty much the way Borges himself would have translated it)

Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials - To me, the most relevant, human, piece of fantasy in existence. By extension, John Milton: Paradise Lost too.

Neil Gaiman et al: Sandman - All-encompassing. 75+ comics telling a story about stories, life, death... The one comic that everyone ought to read smile.gif

Dave McKean: Cages - Another comic, more "arty" and less fantasy-inspired than Sandman, but in the collected ca. 500 pages it describes an entire cosmos, dealing profoundly with just about everything that matters in life. That's quite an achievement smile.gif And the graphic art in this book is sublime, as always from McKean (who also wrote the story - a one-man project).

Those 4 stories (if we count Borges as one story) have a thing in common: They're modern myths. Mythical stories in the same way as Norse or Greek or Egyptian mythology, exploring major themes (life, death, identity, love, art etc.) directly, through fantasy stories.

The difference to the ancient mythologies is that they are told in a modern setting - with people who could be your friends, family or people you meet on the street. I was never a big fan of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars (which are often termed modern myths too), and it just now occurs to me it's probably because they're not modern myths to me, in the sense of the people involved - the characters of LOTR and Star Wars just never seemed quite human to me smile.gif

Interestingly, if we ignore Borges a bit, such great stories are mostly found in "children's books" and comics (Pullman himself discussed that once). I've read Dante, James Joyce, Homer etc., but none of them stuck with me - as stories - the way that those 4 did. I could probably add Harry Potter too, actually, but I'll wait until Saturday before doing that. wink.gif

Nice selection Kaneda. Mine would be (at least at the moment) :

Italo Calvino - If on a winter's night a traveller...

Georges Bataille - Story of the eye

Norman Mailer - The executioner's song

James Joyce - The dead

WB Yates - collected poems

Philip K Dick - The man in the high castle

Augustine - The City of God against the pagans

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bjoerne
Jul 18 2007, 06:09 PM
Cool someone allready mentioned it ! Eddings, , the Mallorean , i dont read alot . Barely at all actually but those 5 or was it 4 books? were really exciting smile.gif
And The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ofcourse ! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Bjoerne: Jul 18 2007, 06:10 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 18 2007, 06:13 PM
QUOTE (Bjoerne @ Jul 18 2007, 01:09 PM) *
Cool someone allready mentioned it ! Eddings, , the Mallorean , i dont read alot . Barely at all actually but those 5 or was it 4 books? were really exciting smile.gif
And The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ofcourse ! biggrin.gif

Belgariad and Mallorean were 6 (smallish) books each - reread them every 2 years or so and always enjoy them!

Duh ! How could I have forgotton about H2G2 ???

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 18 2007, 06:39 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 18 2007, 04:56 PM) *
James Joyce - The dead

I'd have to agree - "The Dead" was when Joyce was still good. Ulysses and Finnegans Wake (I've actually managed to read half of FW) are, in my mind, probably the most mindblowingly impressive works of the 20th century, and yet they say absolutely nothing to me. smile.gif

To add a few more classics:
T.S. Eliot: The Wasteland - another cosmology, this time spanning about 5 pages, with some of the greatest lines of English ever put on paper. But not sure I'd call it a story.

Franz Kafka: The Castle - in my opinion, much more striking than "The Trial". Total alienation.

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude - not for its "clever" allegory of Columbian history - because I dislike art that turns overtly political - but for the way that fantastic, sometimes "supernatural" events, people, things are described so matter-of-factly that you just accept them as reality smile.gif Often called magical realism, but I seem to recall Márquez didn't like that term.

One of the popular choices (contrary to Star Wars and LOTR) that I do agree with: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 18 2007, 06:46 PM
This is funny - we have the SciFi Fantasy heads going one way, and the Literary Critics another laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 18 2007, 07:04 PM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 18 2007, 07:46 PM) *
This is funny - we have the SciFi Fantasy heads going one way, and the Literary Critics another laugh.gif

Hey, mine goes both ways wink.gif I'm a "scifi/fantasy head" in the first post, a "literary critic" in the second smile.gif With some good will, you could even put The Castle, The Wasteland and One Hundred Years of Solitude into a box labelled "fantasy" too.

Tony has sci-fi inthere too. So the Scifi/fantasy heads may be going one way, we're capable of going both wink.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 18 2007, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 18 2007, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Some of my favorites:

Video Games
Morrowind - its so intricate and there are so many details to discover, the whole isle of Vvardenfell is full of stories. The main plot of Dagoth Ur (it creeps me out how he's so polite to you and everything when you finally confront him) and the Nerevarine, along with the tribunal and bloodmoon make for some really memorable pieces. The game is an awesome experience.

Fallout Series - well, the setting is what makes it. Like morrowind, it's chock full of stories all over the place, and it's quite interesting how its set up that many of the vaults are "social experiments", and when everyone comes out you get a lot of strife.

Monkey Island Series - as far as comedy in video games, there is absolutely nothing better. It's a crazy story filled with jealousy, adventure, evil pirates, evil ghost pirates, evil zombie pirates, evil demon pirates, talking skulls, and one mans dream to be swashbuckler. LeChuck is one of the greatest villians of all time, hands down. There was some list of the top 10 video game villains ever and I was seriously angry that he wasn't even on it!

Books
Dragonlance Series - ok, I admit this is what got me into fantasy. More than the forgotten realms (which came AFTER DL, despite most peoples knowledge tongue.gif) this is truly epic high fantasy. I mean, it's not the most complicated or thought provoking series ever, but if you have an itch for good old fantasy, with evil villains and gallant heroes, epic wars involving everything from knights, magic, gods, dragons, and well fleshed out characters, this is the good stuff. That said, Forgotten Realms is great too, I'll mention it here because many of the authors worked on both series.

Lord Of The Rings for the reasons mentioned above.

The Bible - You don't have to be a believer (I'm not) to appreciate this classic literary masterpiece. Really, I will say no more. Whether you think it's fictional or factual, it's full of great stories.

The Iliad and the Odyssey - for reasons mentioned above.

[edit] I wanted to add Bernard Cornwells Warlord Series, as the best telling of the Arthurian legend ever written, it is one of those complex things full of politics, characters, and also plenty of action and such. Great, great trilogy. The three of them are among my favorite books of all time. Also to mention is his 'The Saxon Novels', featuring a saxon by the name of Uhtred in the mid to late dark ages, dealing with Alfred the Great and his efforts to unite England. Finally, his Sharpe series is wonderful as well, dealing with Richard Sharpe, an officer of the british army during the Napoleonic era, and he gets all over the world. All of this together makes Cornwell easily my favorite author.

Movies . . . well, most of my favorite movies have been mentioned, so I won't elaborate but just list them:

Star Wars
The Godfather (1 and 2)
Anything Indiana Jones
Braveheart
Gladiator
Nosferatu (1928 or whatever version)

and eh, there aren't that many more movies that have really sucked me in. Everything above might not be consistently "complex" and "intricate" as some people think is required of a good story, though some are, but a lot of it is also just simple stuff that can take your imagination to a far away place.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 18 2007, 07:20 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 18 2007, 07:13 PM
The Dark Canuck
I don't know if these would be the greatest but they are certainly my favorites:

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller: In a word, Brilliant

To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee: one of the best books ever written IMO. Atticus Finch is probably my favorite literary charcater of all time.

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King: We waited so long for King to finish this amazing story and he didn't disappoint. The saga of the Gunslinger spanned many of Kings novels and is a credit to his imagination.

The Illyad and The Odessey - Homer: Found it a very difficult read at first but glad I stuck with it. Brilliant story.

Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Suess: of all the books I ever read this is my all time favorite. It taught me to never be afraid of new things.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 09:18 AM